question.. need advice

Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question.. need advice

where do I begin... 6 months ago I had full custody of my 4 yr old granddaughter. She lived with us for 3 and half years. But six months ago her parents had made changes in their lives and seemed ready to take her back. About a month ago the whole relationship between her parents blew up. It is a circle we continue to crawl into. My step son moved out. My DIL had him arrested. She has a PFA. It went to court. My step son has to take a drug test and show two months of clean tests (drug of choice is weed but he goes daily to the clinic for Methodone because he was a herion addict..infact they both go there every day) Which he refuses to do. DIL made this HUGE issue about it and how unfit his place of residence was unfit and dirty so we get visitation with our 4 yr old granddaughter every other week. Last weekend Stepson went into the hospital for appendix. DIL got on this kick she is his wife. She is so sorry. Now he is ok. Granddaughter has supervised visit with him only through us but suddenly DIL was dropping granddaughter off with step son and that was ok. We also get calls every night from granddaughter per the court that we are to then talk to her and call her father and allow him to speak to her. But suddenly today that has changed. DIL is now having granddaughter call him at his place during the day and she can because "she is the mom..it is her choice." When asked if she talked to the lawyer and told them what she was doing she said she did not have to because she is the mom and can do as she wants. Mean while my grand daughter one week is saying she does not want to see Daddy. We hear from DIL that Stepson is a druggie but today suddenly and magically all is ok. She can because she is the Mom.

I am so frustrated. Part of me feels I should call the hotline and report this in some way. I am not if that is right. Any advice? I feel like DIL is a wacko who is playing a game and the only one being tossed in the middle is my granddaughter whom I cared for for 3 1/2 yrs while this woman was only good for shooting it, snorting it, smoking it or screwing it. Sorry but really that is the facts. Now I placed my granddaughter back into a lions den. What do I do? I just let go? or I react before they ruin and wreck this child's life.

Help..
Broken
Old 05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks. That is what I thought too but I wanted to make sure and needed to hear someone else say what i was thinking.

XOXOX thanks! Broken
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can never err on the side of looking out for children who have no voice!

:ghug :ghug
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OOO man I agree, get that baby out of there. Julie
Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally agree, that child comes first......get her out of here before she gets hurt!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Can you care for her again?

If yes, then the DIL may be very surprised at how the courts react to her thinking that she calls all of the shots because she's the mom.

Six months of paying attention doesn't exactly add up to an attentive mom.

Good for you for stepping up for the sake of the grandchild
Old 05-09-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Broken,
Addiction is one thing, but bringing innocent children into all the chaos really yanks my chain.

Do whatever you have to, to get control of the situation, and have your grand daughter in a stable, loving environment. You go girl!

Hugs and hugs.......
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like the DIL and Stepson both have issues, and are not mentally, emotionally, or in any other way prepared to care for her. Get her out of there. She is better off with you.