Notices

What would you do

Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What would you do

This is kind of a new thread for me because I'm usually self loathing, but when I went to rehab we did this crazy thing.

So its called somthing like a helped visual and each step you take means something; but dont read what it means until you do it.

So you enter the woods (what kind of woods are they?). Your walking and walking and you eventually find a stream so you decide to follow it. All of a sudden you reach a clearing and the river takes leads into a lake.

Now your on the beach (what do you do there?)

You decide to leave the beach and keep following on the path; it leads you thru a field and while your walking you see a shiny object. What is the object and what do you do with it?

You keep going and you come upon a house. What kind of house is and what do you do there?

So you leave the house and keep following the path and all of a sudden you run into a bear. What kind of bear is it and what do you do?

If you really do this without reading what each thing means its kinda interesting.

Woods = What you think about life (were they sunny and nice or scary and dark)

Beach = Your sexual feelings (did you go into the water? was it warm or cold? or did you sit and look at it?)

Shiny Object = Your resoursfullnes (What was it and what did you do with it?)

House = Materailism (What kind of house was it and what did you do there?)

Bear = How you handle life (Did you run from it or look it in the face?)

PS; the lady at the rehab said someone burnt the house down and killed the bear and she had to turn him into staff.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by Iamlucy View Post
So you leave the house and keep following the path and all of a sudden you run into a bear.
Sorry, Lucy...you've just run into a bear.

What would I do? I'd put down the durgs and alcohol and get myself clean before I tried a bunch of meditative exercises.

But that's just me...
Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If this visualisation exercise gave you some insight about how you approach your life lucy that's great!

Meditation gave me they key to taking action to create change my life. In my opinion anything that gives you insight into yourself is a good thing! All the best with your recovery!

oh and I saw a sunny oak forest, laid on the beach, found a round useless silver sphere which i put in my pocket, sat on the verandah of the house and ran away from the bear.... but i think that running from a bear is a pretty natural reaction for a human!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today, I'm 7 months clean. Yeah, I went to rehab and they had a lot of lectures, role-playing and meditation and yeah these things are good, but they won't keep you clean. The one exercise that will keep you clean is the DESIRE to be clean. You have to want it. You have to change everything in that 'old' life...people, places and things. You have to work a program.
If you don't have the desire and you're quiting for someone else or trying to avoid jail because of getting in trouble because of your drug use...you will fail. The key to recovery is wanting it!

Penny
Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well said. As I read these replies one concept kept coming to mind; change. Something I read over a year and a half ago popped into my mind: "It's not enough to want to change. It's not enough to need to change. The only way to change is to experience change." For me it means do it, faith without works (action) is dead.... Take action in living your program of recovery, whatever it may be..........
Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I have an entire library of books full of these wonderful little meditations. Internal fantasy never did me much good until I could practice external action.

And before you feel all beaten up by the responses here, Lucy, know that folks are trying to save you some time. Many of us have tried the fanciful approach to making life better.

I see you mentioned in another thread finding a sponsor tomorrow. What is the concrete plan of action for that?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well guys

It was the one thing in rehab that I liked.

The woods for me were beutiful with birds chirping and the sun shining thru the trees, but I like the outdoors. I went fishing at the beach. The shiny object was a gun (only because before they did it they asked anyone if they were afraid of bears). I was terribly mulled by a pitbull so I am definetly afraid of bears. And when I went to the house it was a little cottage and I stayed as far away from it as possible; because people in the wild don't like trespassing. I came upon the bear and had my gun but didn't have to shoot it because it just looked at me and walked away.

It is a useless exercise but its the one thing in rehab that I remember so it must be good for something. Its just a silly little thing.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This....

I can never meditate because when ever I sit still my mind runs wild. I don't even know if its true for what each thing means.

But if you do do it your supposed to keep both feet on the floor and close your eyes.

For me it really just helped because I've detoxed so many times and this was the first time I tried follow up (which obviously didn't work); but instead of sitting and lecturing you they gave you a chance to see how you really feel.

So I think when I thought about this today it really made me see that I'm going to try again. I might fail and fall off the wagon but I'm going to get up and chase it and try as hard as I can to jump back on.

Thank you to everyone here in SR, I don't think I could do it without your support.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If this exercise, or any other exercise, works for you, use it.

I often see people telling others "you will fail" if you don't do this or that, but they don't even know 'you'.

Take their words with a grain of salt.

(PS... feed the bear drugs & alcohol, then RUN....! )
Old 04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tommy u are so funny

Thank you so much for your support. What was your shiny object? Someone said there's was a flask and they did feed it to the bear, lol.

This thread was really meant to be something taken lightly because I've had so many things on my mind lately.

Thank you!!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rehab

I never want to laugh at people in general; but it was soo funny because one of the men there started this and because you had to close your eyes he fell asleep. And when the counsler asked him how his journey was he said that he never made it out of the woods. He said they were so peacefull he didn't want to leave.

To me I use laughter to get along if I didn't have that I would never make it.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Neat idea.

I saw a large, sunny and mossy forrest. I swim in the water and I find a cool pair of sunglasses in the field. The house that first popped into my mind was unfortunately very creepy (like something from a horror movie - I've watched too many of them - with inbreds and cannibals) I freeze in terror when I see the bear.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

I am ALL FOR anything that helps us not drink and drug...I love things like this....THANK YOU..
north
Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rubbersoul

Are there really a lot of inbreds and cannibals in horror movies...lol. I don't watch them because from the point I was able to dream, I've had terrible nightmares. Even when Pippylong Stocking went into the woods and told those little kids about cannibals that scared me.

I would have ran from the house if thats what i saw...lol.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

lol in a few of the ones I've seen yep (i think just seeing one movie like that is enough to give me nightmares too) but I used to get a kick out of that stuff. Pippylong Stocking and cannibals, thats not a combination you hear about very often lol, I wonder what Amelia Bedelia would do!