Notices

i need help wit the bf.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i need help wit the bf.

well heres my story...
my fiance is addicted to methadone he claims hes only taking 10mgs a day and for over a year now.. its causes so many problems..he always doses off his eyes roll in the back of his head even when ur talkin to him..hes got bad on his meds.. so i wanted him to quit a while back.. but he didnt see it was a problem and wouldnt.. well now on EASTER.. he stole my sick gmothers pills cuz he had nothing and my mother caught him and made him return it..and now he said that opened his eyes up and he really wants to quit.but he works full time,hes the only one that works,we have 2 small children that i stay home with..so inpatient clinic wouldnt be good.. and the outpatient clinic said they can up his dose alittle to bring it down to wean himself down... (sounds like bs too me)i couldnt picture him doing that and being more messed up then the 10mg he was taking before..

is it possible he could wean himself down after taking these meds for so long?

how long after not after methadone does withdrawals start?

he said he hasnttaking anything sence monday am,and its not friday and just starting to feel pain..sound normal?

i need help!i love this kid to death but i cant take much more....
Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love be with you and your children, I don't know much about methadone recovery but I have heard it is very hard because the drug is long lasting it stays in your system and the drug separation from receptors is what causes the detox. My Dr. Has said that he has had some success with subuxone and methadone patients. The advantage to the subuxone for more advanced users is you can go to a regular dr office get you script filled and your good for the month and its enough to stop cravings but does not get you high.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ricki,
When you get methadone off the street and try yo dose yourself, you receive very little benefit. It sounds like he is underdosed is a big part of his problem. Also, the up and down of taking methadone one day and mot the next. I think your boyfriend could receive tremendous benefit from an outpatient methadone clinic. Not only will he receive methadone, he will receive individual and group counseling. The clinic will bring him up to a stable dose and then slowly start reducing the dose until he is totally methadone free. And of course he will be in total control of the detox. Being on methadone has saved my life. I work everyday and now feel not only normal, but good each and everyday. Just something for you guys to consider!!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I am a Recovering addict and I have been in a Methadone Maintenance Program for nearly 4 years now so I have a little experience in this area.

First of all, you need to realize that very few addicts are completely honest about how much we use and what all we use. We minimize our usage to others, just one of the many forms of denial that we use. With this said, I truly don't think using 10mg of Methadone a day, for over a year, will cause him to nod off like that. Ten mg. is a very, very low dose and nearly every addict ups the amt they use as time goes by. To me, it sounds like he is taking a great deal more than that or using, possibly some type of benzo with it, like Xanax, Ativan . . .

Ok, if inpatient is out of the question, I would encourage him to look into a Methadone Maintenance Program. There he will be slowly weaned off of Methadone completely while getting counseling such as group and individual therapy. Just removing the drug from an addict is not the answer. It sounds like NA (or AA, even though he is an addict) would be a big benefit as well. And I strongly suggest Naranon or Alanon for you! As you know, you cannot work his Program for him, you can only encourage him along HIS journey. But you can take care of yourself by going to Naranon or Alanon. Where I live, there are very few Naranon meetings but Alanon has many more so a good deal of family/friends of addicts also go to Alanon.

As far as how the dosing goes in a Methadone Treatment Program, I will use the dosing they did with me as an example so hopefully you can begin to understand it somewhat. . . it doesn't make a lot of sense but it works. I was started on 50 mg. a day, after a few days, they began dropping me 4 mgs a day, every few days until I got down to something like 18 mg. (and you can imagine, I wasn't feeling too good at this point) then I was brought back up rapidly to what they call a maintenance dose which, for me, is 70 mg. I know this yo yo of dosing sounds weird, but that's generally how it's done from my understanding. I am no authority and will never claim to be, just sharing my experience so hopefully you can realize that they will raise someone up. Just remember, I honestly don't think he is using only 10 mg a day. Detoxing someone off of Methadone is a long, slow process if it's done correctly. Many people at the Clinic I go to take an average of 6 months to a year or even more.

Please remember that you can't fix him, make him change or force him into treatment and Recovery. But you can get all the help in the world for yourself.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have been on methadone for four years, thats great, i just went through and am still at the detox centre for a few more days and am off of oxycontin. A friend on mine, well more of an aquantance, refuses to go through the pain of detox and is ready he thiinks, to go on methadone, I tried to get him to go to detox but no way, he is afraid of the wd as he tried in ct once and after 24 hours or so, was so sick, puking, chills, extreme fatigue, runny nose, coughing, aches and pains so bad that he gave in and went back on oxy, he said once he took the oxy again, within one hour, alll of the symptoms were gone and he felt great.
He wants to know if he strats the mmt, methadone maint, if he will feel normal, as in completely normal and able to hold down a job in construction with no problems.....he is afraid he will have wd and or the methadone will make him tired and unable to function normally
Old 04-21-2009, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey there Ricki!

I just wanted to jump in to let you know that your story is being heard, and I am sending a couple of little prayers in your direction.

I know the idea of raising a dosage sounds weird. It sounds weird to me too, but then again, although I self-detoxed through methadone (10 days total from 20mg to nothing, and yes it sucked but it got me clean), I've never been through any kind of formal methadone detox or maintenance program. Anything is possible, but if I were you I would be speaking to the people who recommended this course of action so that they can explain all of their motives and answer all of your questions. It's a great resource to have, so take advantage of it.

I think SerenityQueen's post was AMAZING. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a better reply out there, and I would definitely take what she said as words of wisdom.

I know that methadone can cause nods in some people, but 10mg is such a low dose that I would not expect them to happen. Honestly, I thought it would take many times that amount (like 10 times or more) for a side effect like that to come out in some people, but what do I know. Ask the clinic about that too. My honest suspicion, however, is that you might not be being given the whole story, and I think there is either a lot more methadone or some other drug(s) in this picture. Just try to get a better handle on what's really going on here. The fact that he has been using or stealing pills so recently heightens that gut feeling. Are they testing him for other things at the clinic?

By the way, methadone has a very long half-life, so feeling pains and symptoms coming on 3-5 days after he stops would be normal.

Best wishes to you!