Notices

I Hope Today is the Day

Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I Hope Today is the Day

Hi All,

Sorry I have been gone for a while. I relapsed yet again and I am just so down that I stayed away. I am going to the doctor today to get on that wonder drug that was just on CNN.com. I guess it will make you not want to drink because you get no enjoyment out of it. I also have an apt next week to go see a therapist. I want my wife to come so she can maybe get some type of idea what we are going through trying to quit this stuff. Then, I have another apt with a Natropath to see if maybe some alternative medicine will help. I am throwing everything I got into it this time. I am even going to a Buddhist Meditation open house on Sunday. I figure something has to work. If not, I really don't know what else to do......
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I certainly hope something clicks for you.....
Good to know you are trying many things

Did you see this thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ving-meds.html
Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but there is no wonder drug for alcoholics. True, some people benefit from Revia or Campral, but those pills don't do anything to cause you not to enjoy drinking. They are supposed to help with cravings, and I guess they do help some people, but it boils down to the person being so determined not to drink that they just don't, no matter what.

I hope you find success in quitting, but please, don't depend on a magic pill to do it for you. Good thoughts going out to you.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck with that! I'm going back on antabuse on Saturday (need to get the alcohol out of my systems first), do what you need to do to stay sober. **** knows why i stopped taking it after being sober for 5 months, oh yeah i remember i wanted to do it off my own willpower...well thats great 4 weeks drinking almost every night...i just want to be sober for the rest of the year and get things right inside myself so that i can just have a little bit of joy and inner peace, just a tiny bit...i'm not being greedy ffs!! Anyways let's both go for it!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

I like your plan! - Therapy, spirituality/meditation, your wifes support, doctors advice/meds to help with cravings...even alternative medicine!

Like you, I threw everything I could at my drinking (in my case AA, SR, family support, exercise, self-help/spiritual books, journaling). 16 months sober and life is good!

It's good to see that you are trying different things, reaching out for help, taking action.

You can do this!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

C23 glad you made it back, looks like you are throwing everything into the fray except the kitchen sink and a program of recovery! When you get the meds read the label CLOSELY! Every single one of them say they are meant to be taken with therapy and a long term recovery program.

If you wind up drinking again you ask what you could do, why not try a recovery program?

I took revia for a while after I got out of detox, it works great for some people, but it did nothing for me, the only relief I got in early sobriety was in meetings and talking to others in recovery. Until I took the actions/steps suggested in my recovery program I struggled.

There is no magic pill available today, every one of them is meant to be an aide to therapy and a long term recovery program. There may be a magical pill some day, but what is to say one decides hey, drinking wasn't so bad really, I will quit taking the meds and check it out again, I can always get back on the pill. That would be true of course there is always that possibility of killing your self or someone else while driving drunk.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

C23

I am glad to see you back and posting!

Be honest with yourself, rigorously honest. A few weeks back, you didn't count the two beers you had in your sobriety time. It does not matter to me at all whether you started your count over or not, but it matters to YOU... sobriety time is not a contest with other people, only yourself. Don't take my comments the wrong way... I was very happy to see you back! And it does matter to me that you are OK.

Taz is absolutely correct, you should consider a program of recovery. You own best efforts led you right back to this point in your recovery. I have to have a power greater than myself in my life, not as an oppressive taskmaster, but as a source of comfort and support, inspiration and guidance.

Natropathy, Medication, Meditation... are all valuable and important tools. However... tools are almost worse than useless if you don't know how to use them!!

I thought AA was gonna be boring, full of uninteresting people that I had nothing in common with. I was wrong. But I cannot speak for anyone else... There is a phrase I have heard that I like very much... Contempt Prior to Investigation.... Don't fall into that trap. AA, LifeRing.. whatever, ...investigate!

Also... your wife will benefit greatly from understanding recovery, but this path is yours alone.

Good luck, keep posting. I was wondering where you went.

Mark

Last edited by Mark75; 04-16-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I say whatever works..Run with it.
But why would you need a drug to not enjoy it. Isnt that the case already?
I didnt need another drug to make me not enjoy getting high anymore. I already wasnt enjoying it.
I agree with suki...No miracle pill for addiction. Unfortunately we have to work hard at staying clean.
I do believe there may be some meds that would assist in working a good program. But nothing to make you stop and stay stopped completely on its own.
I could be wrong tho.
But then again. Everyone is different. And it may just work for you.
I hope it does. I am glad you are looking for alternatives and still trying. Thats what matters.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Looks like we're both at day 1. Let's travel this road together then.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Well let's see. THis revia drug has made me throw up 2 times already, and for those who have used drugs, you will understand the term, "cracked out." THat is how I feel. I feel like @#$% right now and dont know if I want to keep taking this stuff.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have heard that naltrexone (Revia) blocks the opiate receptors, not just opiates that one would ingest, but it also blocks those same receptors to endorphins, our "natural" internal opiates...

Thanx for posting your experience!

Mark
Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by C23 View Post
Well let's see. THis revia drug has made me throw up 2 times already, and for those who have used drugs, you will understand the term, "cracked out." THat is how I feel. I feel like @#$% right now and dont know if I want to keep taking this stuff.
Maybe, but you don't want to drink right now, do you?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Suki,I've used Revia for the past thirty days.I've now stopped and am going
it alone,1 day at a time.I had no side affects and I did find the drug benificial.
It does take a few weeks to settle in your system,so some side affects may
be experienced.It is,however to have a full blood test examined to check for
elevated liver levels when using Revia {naltrexone}. Hope this has been of
some help......
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thanks, OZ. Like I said before, Revia, or any other medication for that matter, may very well help some people. I'm happy that you aren't drinking and that you feel Revia was beneficial. As I also said before, when it comes right down to it though, a person has to make the decision of whether or not to drink. No pill can do that, but if a person feels that medication helps them in the early recovery stages, by all means, take that pill.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry man, but you need to toughen up, When you had 2 drinks and said you was not counting them that worried me.Come on mate lets be honest and face the facts, a drinks a drinks, Sorry if I too hard, but lets beat this addicition
Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Sorry man, but you need to toughen up, When you had 2 drinks and said you was not counting them that worried me.Come on mate lets be honest and face the facts, a drinks a drinks, Sorry if I too hard, but lets beat this addicition
Not sure what I need to toughen up. I am doing everything in my power to beat this addiction, even taking medicine that is making me sick.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am doing everything in my power
Have you followed the directions on the label FULLY?

What long term recovery program are you working?

Perhaps you could try like myself and hundreds of thousands of other do and find a Power greater then your self to help.

C23 I have been where you are at right now, fighting it all by myself my way, perhaps you should check out some of the recovery programs out there and see if doing it in the way other people have successfully done it will work for you.

My way damn near killed me, trying another way saved this old alkies life.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

C23

To say it another way...

You are doing everything in your power....

I am powerless over alcohol... I do not have the power... I need a higher power...

To win, dear Samurai, you have to surrender.

Mark
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hey You!

I'm proud of you for going to "any lengths" to get the help YOU SO DESERVINGLY DESERVE!!!!!

Thank you for being a friend to me.... no matter what!!!