Notices

I Hope Today is the Day

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Let's face it, we all need to toughen up! Isn't that why we're here??? I think you are tough to have come this far. And I wouldn't count the two drinks either, but that's me.

I'd LOVE to go to a Buddhist meditation group! The philosophy of Buddhism has helped me not only to get through my alcoholism, but my depression as well.

As for medications that just came into the market, I find them scary. I don't have much faith in the FDA and I have had bad experiences with new medications. It's like buying a car that's just been released. I let others try it and work the bugs out of it first.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

C23 - It seem as if you are open to doing just about anything to be sober and I am glad you are back and posting.
I've not taken the medication that you are on, so I know next to nothing about it. Maybe the medication will help but I dont think that it alone will keep you sober; I think you already know that.
I hope you will be able to come up with a plan that works for you. Keep us posted.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Ok everyone,

I think I took some of the comments on here the wrong way. I was overly sensative to some people's comments. The truth is, I do need to toughen up. I need to toughen up for my self as well as my family. The good news is, I AM READY.

The Buddhist Meditation center was....AWESOME. On Wednesday nights, they have a group meditaion, then a addiction recovery group meeting. HOW PERFECT IS THAT? I couldn't believe the luck. The women I met there who showed me around is a recovering alcoholic who has 30 YEARS under her belt. She is also the one who leads the recovery group. It was too perfect a coincedence.

My doctor told me to stop taking the meds if they were getting me sick. Truth be told, I agree with everyone who said the meds arent the answer. I need to want to quit drinking. I need to be totally ready to kick the booze to the curb. I need to realize all the horrible things alcohol has done to my body and my mind. I need to understand how hard my drinking must be on my wife. I need to realize what my drinking will do to my kids and their development to adulthood. I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I............................I NEED TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, to recap, Buddhist Meditaion center.....check!
Weekly recovery group.....check!
Therapy, starts on Thursday.....check!
Admitting that I am powerless over alcohol......check!
A true desire to stop drinking.....check!
READY TO COWBOY UP AND QUIT THIS @#$%.....CHECK!!!

Thanks to all of you who were here to set me straight and open my eyes to my half as@#d attempt at quiting.

Let's continue to do this together.

PS. NICKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to see ya girl.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Ok, to recap, Buddhist Meditaion center.....check!
Weekly recovery group.....check!
Therapy, starts on Thursday.....check!
Admitting that I am powerless over alcohol......check!
A true desire to stop drinking.....check!
READY TO COWBOY UP AND QUIT THIS @#$%.....CHECK!!!

Sounds like you have started a plan. Good work. One day at a time.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think we all get sensitive at times. Its normal. I congratulate you for taking time to let it soak in before reacting. That says a whole lot on your part. Very good. I would have just went slammin on my keyboard and then felt bad afterwards for reacting before I even had a chance to process anything.

I dont know too much about buddhism. But I have heard alot of wonderful things about it. And am very intrerested in it myself. But I have the attention span of a spastic puppy. So I cant stay focused on reasearching or learning it.
But that sounds like a wonderful way to assist in your recovery.

Sounds like your doing good and I think the meditations will elp you alot.
Keep it up.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

C23 sounds like a good plan, just stay open to adding or subtracting to the plan as needed.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I heard, was told, whatever, alot of stuff that really hurt my feelings early in recovery... I still hear things that hurt.

But the things I heard were not meant to hurt or weaken me, but to hurt and weaken my disease, ...alcoholism, addiction... whatever. Sort of like chemo. So, it's not so much toughening up... but to separate out the part of you that needs to change, and join in the fight.

Some people, and I may be one, will say things to help you fight it... they are not meant to attack or criticize YOU, but your "disease". These people, myself included, may say the wrong things... but try to understand what they are trying to say and why... don't let your "ego" get in the way...

I read a little about Taoism and it helped me in this area... I'm not really pursuing a taoist approach, ...good 'ole AA for me, ...but maybe with your interest in eastern philosophy, you might find something helpful there...

There is a book, I think "The Tao of Addiction", something like that...

Mark
Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Amazon.com: The Tao of Sobriety: Helping You to Recover from Alcohol and Drug Addiction: David Gregson, Jay S. Efran, G. Alan Marlatt: Books

That is a link to the book I read.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Excellent book! I highly recommend it.

C23, sounds like you have a good plan. Keep on keeping on!

Love,

Lenina