UK Government Plans

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

UK Government Plans

To cut social security payments for alcoholics that refuse to follow a treatment programme

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998334.stm
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, my first reaction to this is--ya, good idea!

But, on further reflection, it seems just another way for the government to be codependent, and another system for alcoholics to manipulate.

In the US, many states and counties have opted for treatment as opposed to incarceration for drug and alcohol offenses. Again, at first blush, it seemed like a good idea to me. But, working in the court system, and seeing the same people time after time, doing the same things, and being ordered to "treatment," which in this area means AA, I do not think the intended results are being achieved.

I don't know what the answer is, but it seems to me the government cannot force an unwilling addict/alcoholic to get clean any more than you or I can.

L
Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My thoughts too Lateeda, think the treatment will be more expensive than the benefits and doubt it will be that successful as the alcoholic doesn't want the treatment offered
Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe if all the active A's were forced to live together, they would get so sick of other A's, they would stop...
Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I would rather see the government funding AA outreach into schools to educate future generations. Concentrate on prevention rather than cure particularly if young recovering alcoholics and addicts could be convinced to take part and tell their stories cause it certainly isn't glam!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rainbow,

I was actually joking, but I do agree with you. Unfortunately, in the US there have been anti-drug, anti-drinking, anti-smoking and anti-sex campaigns in schools for the last 20+ years. I don't know the stats, but all activities still take place in high schools and lead to issues later on. People here argue back and forth about whether schools or homes should "teach" kids about this stuff.

It would be great if parents did it, but that doesn't always seem to work for those that do and others don't educate their kids. The public schools encourage abstinence on all levels (at least mine did in the 80's). Don't know what goes on now.

I have thought recently that upon my completion of school I would like to get involved in an alcoholism awareness campaign in my new town. It is such a taboo topic and so many are ashamed. I wish they would come out of the woodwork, step forward and get help...co-dependent anyone?

Miss
Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I work for a training provider contracted to UK Jobcentres, my role as an advisor is to identify any 'barriers' to work of the long term unemployed that are refffered to training with us. All too often the 'barrier' I come across is our old friend Alcohol and it is a very real one. I then make a referal to a local Alcohol Service but after that they usually tend to 'drop off' along the way so I am happy that some thought is being given to it.

The worst part for me when I was living with AX was having to listen to everyones problems all day and then go home to face the exact same ones of my own, no respite!

x