Notices

Rachel Getting Married

Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rachel Getting Married

Hi guys,
I rented the movie "Rachel Getting Married" starring Anne Hathaway. My husband is out of town, so I thought I'd curl up on the couch with my dogs and watch a movie.
Just let me say WOW! This movie is not what I expected. I should say it was more than I expected and I highly recommend it not only for recovering addicts, but families of recovering addicts. It has something for both.

I'm gonna either re-rent this movie or buy it and watch it again with my husband. It's a very powerful movie that I sure related to.

Happy Easter everyone!

Penny
Old 04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Funny you should post this. I bought the movie tonight because the links I had to view it online aren't working - I've been trying for the last two days. I'm going to watch it right now.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rowan...omg............you'll love it!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Ha Ha, that's so funny, I just this second came in here to burn it for my
best friend.

I liked it. : ]
Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just finished it. Wow. Very painful to watch parts of it - I could identify with so much.

An excellent film.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The Anne Hathaway character was a lot more stable than her family.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's already in my netflix queue. Looking forward to it even more thx to your rec'd.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

just added it to my netflix queue...tnx for the rec
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In this movie, the character's family was sooo codependent, especially the father. It really gives insight on both ends of the spectrum.

This movie get a big thumbs up!

Penny
Old 04-12-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
little darlin'

hi penny,
I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago and was profoundly affected by it... I agree that it is very appropriate for the entire family. Perhaps someday I will watch it w/ my parents and daughter. Some day soon...
I was similarly affected by the movie 'when a man loves a woman', sometimes it seems that these movies are written from my life. Helps me realize that I'm so not alone...
Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

My mom took me to see it in the theaters when it first come out and it was really great. Obviously I was pelted with a nice game of 20 questions about whether or not the movie was accurate and whether I could relate to Hathaway's character, but I absolutely loved it!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Live it

Wow!! Thank you for letting me know!! I am totally renting it now. I thought it looked good ... but I had no idea that it was about recovery!

My boyfriend is going through the recovery process vicariously with me ... I'm having a lot of issues at his very moment with our relationship and my recovery co-existing. This movie sounds like a good outlet for me. Thank you for recommending it!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey Penny! Thanks to you (and the rest of the gang) for the recommendation! I got a copy of the film and watched it right away.

Although it's so different from my own situation, I really enjoyed it. I think it gave me a better appreciation for what it might be like for so many others out there. My family doesn't have a clue that I've had to deal with any kind of addiction issue. The only people in the world who do know are my partner, a couple of my partner's old dealers...and the internet. I know it's not like that for most addicts, and through the movie I was able to appreciate things that I hadn't even considered before.

I'm so grateful for all of you here on the forum. Again, many thanks.

If anyone has any other recommendations for good movies that people new to recovery should see, I would really love a list of titles!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also enjoyed the movie "28 days" starring Sandra Bullock and "When a man loves a women" starring Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia.
These are both excellent movies about rehab and recovery.

Penny
Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Penny, awesome! Thanks again!

I just finished watching 28 Days yesterday! It was another good recommendation.

When a Man Loves a Woman is on my list.

I have tried googling movies about addiction, but I've been scared to watch random films without knowing if they're "safe" for someone so new to recovery, lol.

I just read a short review of Clean and Sober, and I think I'm going to pick it up. I hope it's good!

Clean and Sober - "Michael Keaton plays a serious look at rehab, the true nature of rehab, a very awesome movie."

:ghug3
Old 04-18-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Steppin

Yep, I've see "clean and sober" great movie.

By the way, tonight and tomorrow night @ 8:00pm on CNN, there's a special about addiction. I'm going to watch.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I seriously disliked Hathaway's character. She used her addiction and guilt as an excuse to act like a spoiled child. The better ending would have been if her family disowned her and she was incarcerated forever.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow...harsh!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
Yep, I've see "clean and sober" great movie.

By the way, tonight and tomorrow night @ 8:00pm on CNN, there's a special about addiction. I'm going to watch.
Ooh! Sounds like a great idea! I'm on very limited CNN here in Europe, but I'm going to see if I can find something about it online. Going to find the title...

I'm officially looking forward to Clean and Sober!

...and can I send a second to that last review? She should rot away in prison because she's bratty? Whew, that really was harsh! I saw Hathaway's character as someone who was suffering; I felt like she had been suffering for a long time because of her addiction, she was suffering again because she was paying (or being asked to pay) a serious price for her addiction history, and she was suffering because she was in such a delicate state of transition between her old life, a type of isolation in rehab and a somewhat insecure sense of herself in her glimpses back into the real world. All of that happening through a story that's ultimately based on attempting to achieve redemption through recovery. Those were my first thoughts anyway, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion (or two). No harm, no foul, just peace.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The title of the CNN special is "Addiction: Life on the Edge"

As far as the part played by Anne Hathaway...I had a lot of empathy for her character. She had accidently killed her brother while high. I can't even imagine.....

Penny