Notices

First Time Post

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Time Post

Even as I write this, I am drinking ... Captain Morgans with a splash of Coke. I have been a heavy drinker for 30 years, with many negative consequences, but I have been very successful in my career, albeit not in my personal life.

I want to quit drinking, and I know I must quit drinking. What used to be a youthful screw-up is now an adult embarassment. What used to be a time-regulated binge, is now a missed-work, bruises-and-scratches, hate-myself-for-being-weak addiction.

I am an atheist, so I use that as a crutch as to why I don't want to attend AA.

I am also a public figure, who has yet to destroy that public image with my drinking, though I believe some individuals -- albeit not the general public -- are aware of my alcoholism.

I want help. I want ideas. Please don't just say "stop." That approach doesn't work for me, as drinking is an integral part of who I am.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

You might want to have a real honest talk with your doctor
about how to safely de tox from alcohol.

Considering the long time alcohol use...it's a wise idea.
Please don't try to stop without medical supervision/advice.

Here is a link of info...from our Alcoholism Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

There are other recovery programs ...AA is not the only one.
People do quit without using a program...
I'm sure they will be along to share with you.

Hope you can find your way....sobriety is soooo fantastic.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey Gotta - you are SO welcome here.

There are lots of us who are not in AA and have achieved sobriety (for me only 90 days but that is 90 days more than I had before I got here).

Read around SR and you will find lots of threads about sobriety, recovery, etc. There are also lots of AA people here who are wonderful and embracing and don't think AA is the only way. Sounds like you might be ready, or getting ready to slay the dragon..

WELCOME - you are in the right place.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome gty2!

If you know you must stop drinking, then perhaps you should seek some medical guidance to get you started as it can be difficult to stop at once and can possibly be dangerous.

Most of us have been where you are; alcohol was once an integral part of our miserable lives, too. Most of us here have successfully abstained from this particular demon, and so can you.

So hang around and do more reading; the stickies posted at the tops of the forums contain loads of pertinent information. And I know that lots of others will post to support you.

Best wishes and good luck.

Donna
Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by gottaknowy2 View Post
I want help. I want ideas. Please don't just say "stop." That approach doesn't work for me, as drinking is an integral part of who I am.
Drinking was an integral part of who I was too - not only did I 'need' it as a medication for various physical and mental maladies, but I was a musician - a steadily less successful one - and y'know how the music world revolves around drinking, drugging and partying.

I'm not being an a-hole - but I'm not gonna blind you with BS either - the only way to make things better, and not progressively worse is....stop.

That decision gets easier the farther you travel down the road you're on - 'missed-work, bruises-and-scratches, hate-myself-for-being-weak' ' is just the start.

As for that public image ? By the time I was done, I was unemployable and everybody knew I was a drunk....and I didn't give a damn.

I was way past that and well on the way to drinking myself to death.

This thing is progressive - you already know that.
My advice is to think carefully about your priorities - and then act now.

Starting with your Dr is a good first step.

So is posting here - and keeping that up.

Here's a list of a whole range of recovery programmes too - not just AA.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Hope at least some of this helps.
D
Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, gotta. Be glad you've come to this realization before something catastrophic happens. I quit with only SR as my support, & I was still drinking when I arrived here. I too have been dependent on alcohol for over 25 yrs. For me, I felt I was face to face with death. The last binge I had was almost impossible to come out of. I summoned up all my strength to cut down, and then poured the last of it down the drain. We almost have to learn to live again without our crutch, our anesthesia. Don't feel that AA can't be an option for you because you're an atheist. I don't attend meetings now, but the times that I did - no one ever mentioned religion to me. Here's hoping you can break free from the chains & have a wonderful new life.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

gottaknowy2

I, too, am well known in my corner of the world... drank/pills for many years... I did ultimately suffer some consequences to my career, though, thank God and an enlightened group of individuals, my career is not over. Neither have I had to suffer public humiliation, though I have suffered much personal shame. So close...

At what point should I have quit, sought help... before help sought me??? I am not sure that I would have.

I don't know what to say. All I know is that I wouldn't, couldn't have done it alone...

Put the Captain down and humble yourself to someone, something... if you truly want to quit. Your humility may spare you humiliation.

Mark
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Even as I write this, I am drinking ... Captain Morgans with a splash of Coke. I have been a heavy drinker for 30 years, with many negative consequences, but I have been very successful in my career, albeit not in my personal life.

I want to quit drinking, and I know I must quit drinking. What used to be a youthful screw-up is now an adult embarassment. What used to be a time-regulated binge, is now a missed-work, bruises-and-scratches, hate-myself-for-being-weak addiction.

I am also a public figure, who has yet to destroy that public image with my drinking, though I believe some individuals -- albeit not the general public -- are aware of my alcoholism.

Well, I am not an atheist and I still don't want to attend AA. I'd describe myself as agnostic. Are you aware there is a secular forum on this board? You can convene with other like-minded people who do not subscribe to the 12 step approach. Welcome!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Let go of the crutch.

There are Atheists in AA.

Welcome to SR.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
Let go of the crutch.

There are Atheists in AA.

Welcome to SR.
No offense, but most atheists would/might take issue with the 12 steps, which are clearly religious in nature. The courts have ruled as much.

Better to research and attend alternative groups, like SMART, LifeRing, etc. JMHO.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
No offense, but most atheists would/might take issue with the 12 steps, which are clearly religious in nature. The courts have ruled as much.

Better to research and attend alternative groups, like SMART, LifeRing, etc. JMHO.
No offense taken. Katie09. :ghug3

gottaknowy2 asked for help and idea's so I gave him my best. I didn't say it was the only way or even that it was better.

We have to be careful about discouraging people from trying something that might save there lives. Atheist or not.

Keep your mind open to all options gottaknowy2. You'll find what works for you.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
No offense taken. Katie09. :ghug3

gottaknowy2 asked for help and idea's so I gave him my best. I didn't say it was the only way or even that it was better.

We have to be careful about discouraging people from trying something that might save there lives. Atheist or not.

Keep your mind open to all options gottaknowy2. You'll find what works for you.
You are soooooooooooooo correct, Dean62. BTW, you know what is soooooooooooooo great about SR? This forum has really enlightened all as to different paths to recovery and I see all people here melding together in the interest of finding said recovery, which is wonderful
Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
As for that public image ? By the time I was done, I was unemployable and everybody knew I was a drunk....and I didn't give a damn.

D
Isn't it funny how so many of us start out drinking because we want to fit in with others and by the end its the main thing that prevents us from doing so. I used to convince myself that i was leading a really interesting life when i was drinking. It made me feel good for a little while and i was prepared to trade everything for it. Thats the enormity of what we are facing together.

Hang in there

xx