Notices

Another newcomer off methadone

Old 04-11-2009, 01:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another newcomer off methadone

I am new to this forum and so I thought I would begin here. I am 30 years old and have been 21 days off of methadone. I started taking hydro's 2004 and became addicted pretty quickly. My mother and father are both addicts and alcoholics. My husband has no clue what it is like to be addicted and therefore he accuses me of it all being "in my head."
In 2006 I finally decided to go to the methadone clinic. I did it because I was very afraid of detox and could no longer keep my drug seeking behavior from my family. I did not want my children remembering me sick all the time and taking them with me when I bought pills, it's Sad but I did it.
Anyway, my dose was never really that high and anyone I told it to would just kinda nod and say "WOW." But to me 25mg of methadone was what I needed. I started to knock the dose down over the next three years after a few times going back up and coming back down. The lowest they will take me at the clinic here is 2.5mg. I hung out there for about three months until I decided one day just not to take it anymore. It has not been easy and I know I can never again take another pain pill. I have had alot of trouble with Restless Legs and night and just not being able to sleep no matter how tired I am. But I know I cannot go back. If I take one dose, it will turn into 2 and so on.

Best Regards to all the Veterans on Here!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. You sound very strong and determined, that's great! One day at a time as they say.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

Yes you are right... one day at a time. I have to keep telling myself that I don't want to end up in a half way house like my mother and smoking crack and doing pills like my father. We all make our own choices and mine have led me down this road but here I am today and I still have my family. I will say this, if I had not gone on methadone when I did, I think I would have ended up in jail because of buying pills and my husband would have left me and took my kids. I Thank God everyday that He still loves me. LOL