Notices

Why?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why?

I am just wondering is there any addicts that just use because they like it, not to deal with life's problems or because of childhood drama, but just because they like getting high/stoned whatever?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always wondered the same thing? I asked my doctor if its possible, but he just gave me an answer with no substance. We are all different, so it seems that all addicts shouldn't just be lumped into one category..

So to answer your question I think its possible to become an addict, without some deeper issue!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am one of those addicts. I dont hide from anything. i dont have any deep seeded issues I am numbing. I dont have any pain or tragedy I am trying to forget about. I just simply get bored and get high. Yea because I liked to. Bceause I want to hang out with people and get high. Because I need the excitement of the enviroment. Just to let loose and forget aboit lofes recponsibilities for awhile. Like havin a drink to unwind type a thing.
Noone ever believes this. But whatever. I know what it is.
I just liked to do and have fun. Get crazy and let loose. Bored and needed some excitement. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I have gotten high because I was upset over somehitng before. But its not the initial reason I got high. Or even the whole reason why i got high for so many years.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At first (29 years ago) I use cuz i like it, but those days are long gone.
Pretty much the rest of my using was to cope. It worked at first, but as soon as tolerance set in, it turned into a hard struggle.

In the end I still had all the S I did before I used, and much more.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I did it for both, I'd say.
In the beginning it was just because I liked it,
eventually it was to solve problems.

But I do love meth, (in the beginning) that is why it got to be
so dangerous for me.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

I am that type of addict. I had a great childhood. Amazing family, two loving happily married parents. Just like chiynita, I started using just to 'let loose and forget about life's responsibilities for a while.' The only problem is, for me that 'while' turned into a 12+ year bender, during a vital stage in human development from the age of 11-24. It was acceleratingly progressive with catastrophic results. I ended up missing out, not just on experiences and memories (since I forgot most of them) but on life itself. I never really learned how to live. How to cope in a healthy way. How to deal with 'life on life's terms' as is so often repeated. Having missed out on these experiences, these opportunities to grow and learn, using eventually became the only way I knew to deal, to live. The only thing I was escaping was learning how to grow the hell up. And recovery gave me that opportunity. I am still learning everyday how to live, to be better, to better do the next right thing. And as long as I stay sober and on the path I have begun to walk down, I will continue to do so.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

it went a little like this:

social
to not as "serious" as i thought it would be
to "fun" and "good for getting things done"
to "dealing with" and "avoiding" feelings
to every excuse in the book
and dependence,
day and night.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow thank you for the information, I think so many think there has to be a problem, for someone to turn to drugs. When my son now 17 started using, I knew the family he came from and I knew the charmed life he had. He told me I do them because I like them, but everyone else kept telling me there is a problem somewhere, normal people don't turn to drugs. So it is good to hear what you think about the reasons why? I do believe some people just like them, scary thing for my son is he likes them all and he has so much excitement to try the next drug. Thanks again, Julie
Old 04-10-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, I started taking opiates 10 years ago because of an accident. By the end, I was simply taking them to avoid being 'dope sick'.
As for the coke, I started snorting it around the age of 17. It made me feel good and I liked it. It was sort of like taking a vacation, I did it for awhile, then wouldn't do it for months.
18 months before recovery, I tried smoking it for the first time. I spiraled real quick on that sh!t and used it for self destructive purposes. I mean, I knew what it was doing to me, but I couldn't stop. That's self destruction at it's purest form.

Penny
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I just liked gettin loaded. That is until I got strung. Good parents, no problems toilet training, no lack of "spirituality", no Oedipal urges, none of that malarky.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think that's how it all started for me. As far as I know, I don't have any childhood issues (unless there are some repressed memories back there). My parents are still together, I never once saw them fight, I grew up upper middle class, there's absolutely NO addiction history in my family, etc. I had the opportunity to make a lot out of myself. But for some reason, here I am. But of course, once you become an addict, you're not getting high for fun anymore. You're getting high because you HAVE to.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Well, my reasoning for drug use was because of my dad and all that junk, but I don't think there needs to be an underlying problem to turn to drugs. My former using friends I think would use/deal just for the fun of it because some of them had everything.. good family/childhood, no addictions in the family, good self-esteem, wealthy, etc.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

It was great at first, I love to get high, until it turn into a horrible monster I wish I never met.

Ivan
Old 04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

anvilhead...

I hear ya girl. My parents, and both grandfathers were alcoholics, and I had a rough childhood because of it. But alcohol just was never my thing. I can count on one hand how many time I've gotten drunk in my life. I swore I'd never raise my kids the way I was raised, but I did, just not with alcohol, but opiates/crack/cocaine.
My whole life, I've been running from my true emotions. I've always been someone who's whole world could be falling down around me, and no one would ever suspect a thing. I was always helping someone else with their problems, all the while stuffing mine. I guess that comes from always hiding what went on in my family growing up, and covering up, and leading everyone to believe that I had a great life.
When I found drugs, I thought I found the answer...boy was I ever wrong.

Penny
Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
normal people don't turn to drugs.
I would ask them their definition of a 'normal' person?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anvil, you could be my child. LOL that is so much my son it is not funny that line of taking something and then saying "so whats it do?"
Old 04-10-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, with my son he has that death wish he is a risk taker, not just with drugs but in everyday life. Whatever drugs he uses some of them make him sick as a dog, some times for hours, some times for days. That don't stop him from using them again. He is not a drinker he tells me, people who drink act goofy. LOL like he is much better on drugs. Before going into rehab he was on a up and down swing, the uppers and then downers. My son is also a very emotional person, not an aggressive person at all (but I have seen aggression when he is in withdraw). Even when he was on the football team he was a wonderful running back and didn't mind getting tackled but had a hard time tackling other players when he played. I sometimes wonder if the drugs help him hide his emotions, which he may see as weakness at his age. His father can cry at the drop of a dime, very emotional. I don't think my son sees that as a good quality and I wonder if he tries not to be like him. I know, I will never really know why he uses drugs (like he said he like them) or if he will ever quit, but it is just one of them things, that runs in my mind sometimes.
Anvil, You have some of the most wonderful post, they are so insightful. I am really glad your on this site and your recovery is working for you, you are such a bright, funny person. Julie
Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I had a good homelife. I was introduced to it at a young age by the girl who lived across the street and I went along with it excitedly. I hate to say it but I did it cuz it was fun but didn't know when to quit.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
I just liked gettin loaded. That is until I got strung. Good parents, no problems toilet training, no lack of "spirituality", no Oedipal urges, none of that malarky.

Sarcasim aside, you should thank God Windy, seriously.

There's alot of really sad stories out there
Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

I started out just cause i was bored. Just cause I wanted an escape and I thought I was safe with it but eventually it dragged me in. Started out innocent and nearly cost me my life.