Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

How much money have you saved since stopping your DOC?

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've calculated so far $65 per day on Oxy's and about $40 on alcohol.. So so far I've saved a total of $390 on not buying Oxy, and $240 on alcohol for a total of $630.. Its not much, but for 6 days, hell I'm happy!!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol no idea probably in the millions's but recovery is priceless!

Congrats paperboy
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Paperboy - there is something to celebrate for sure!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

none...i tend to spend money like its going out of style. Although today instead of 'one more' that will be gone in a few hours, I do have a new car, a nice big tv, a cool phone, an xbox 360 and ps3...plus a huge library of games that i never have time to play, more than 2 outfits of clothes, and plenty of other little gadgets that would have all went to 'just one more' had i not been sober.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was at $500 per week or more so it adds up fast.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Paperboy, excellent thread.

A LOT OF MONEY!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

oops, double post...then again, two addicts, one roof...enough to say it again. a lot of money!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I had all the money that I've spent over the 'drug years', I'd have a nice little nest egg for sure! On average, I was spending anywhere between 500-700 per week! Damn, that sucks!

Penny
Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Somewhere around $600/week x 150 weeks (- about $1000 on subs). Looks like around $89,000 to me, off the top of my head ... and I have about $9000 within arms reach at the moment ... and like my friend Pete (t2r) above, lots and lots of toys ...
Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Off and on over 29 years? Who knows......
........thousands and thousands, I guess.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I wouldn't even know where to begin to even come up with a sum that's close. I began using when I was 11, got clean and sober when I was 43, so I spent a whole HELL of a lot of money. This isn't even figuring what my ex husbands had to cough up in order to keep me from going crazy on them, not to mention the money I lied to family members about what I "needed it for."

But when I lost spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically "cost me" so much more than the material things.

One thing that always amazes me when I look back is how when I didn't have any drugs/alcohol or anyone else to buy them for me, I always managed to scrape up a hundred dollars here and there, no problem. But when a bill needed paid, I couldn't manage to rub two nickles together. Shows you where my (and probably everyone else's for that matter) priorities where.

I have been in Recovery for 3 years and 7 and a half months, so I have "saved" a small fortune. But the things I gained in Recovery, the non material things, are priceless. Hey, this would be a good commercial for whoever does the commercials for like the kid going to the ballgame with his Dad, "tickets, $50, snacks, $15, Program, $12. . . family togetherness, priceless." I can see it now, "rent, $XXX, utilities, $XXX, groceries and entertainment, $XXX, . . . Recovery, PRICELESS!

Good thread!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

darn. a whole bunch.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

You guys are lucky.

I am in debt to my ears.

All the money I make now goes to pay off the debts that I accumulated from my using years.

Cant wait to save enough money to buy me a new pair of sneakers though.

Ivan
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here's the problem I have now though, I have a very hard time spending money on myself.
The guilt of what I've done and how much I'd taken from my husband and kids simply overwhelms me. I have no problem spending when it comes to them and buying thing to improve our home, but it took me 6 months out of rehab, (which also cost a small fortune) to by myself some skincare products recently.
My husband always says, "Honey go buy yourself something nice", and I always come home with something for him or the kids.
Don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive myself for taking from them in order to feed my addiction.

Penny
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking about all that money, makes me feel like vomiting.. I'm guessing on average I've spent $500-$700 per week on drugs and alcohol.. So one year is at least $24,000 a year.. Disgusting!!!!!!!

Makes me really want to kick this addiction in the hind end, tie it up, and slowly but painfully torture it, until it never wants to bother another human being again!!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

I was stealing almost $600 a week at the end of my habit so I guess in a sick way I'm saving them some money. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about all the stuff I sold and stole when i was in active addiction. Makes me sick, absolutely sick. I was one hell of a selfish *******.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
um, we bought a house....?
Lol, Anvilhead.

Just to clarify, I meant that we were two active addicts under one roof. A whole lot of hard earned money was burned into oblivion. Frankly, the amount is shocking, and I'd rather not think about it at all, lol. Not now anyway. ::trying my hardest not to do the math::

In any case, we stopped using 35 days ago. It's like flipping a switch. Now, finally, we will be able to use the money we make to improve our lives, not destroy them. What a difference!

For the first time in a long time, despite the economic problems in the world, some of my anxieties about money are beginning to calm down. Problems with the economy? Fellas, I don't know if there are bigger economic problems than the ones of active addicts. It's spend-spend-spend, and you have less to show for what you've spent than you started out having. It's insanity.

Drink Water, put the money in your pocket, and leave the dry-bellyache in the punchbowl. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
little darlin'

Originally Posted by change4penny View Post
Here's the problem I have now though, I have a very hard time spending money on myself.
The guilt of what I've done and how much I'd taken from my husband and kids simply overwhelms me. I have no problem spending when it comes to them and buying thing to improve our home, but it took me 6 months out of rehab, (which also cost a small fortune) to by myself some skincare products recently.
My husband always says, "Honey go buy yourself something nice", and I always come home with something for him or the kids.
Don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive myself for taking from them in order to feed my addiction.

Penny
Oh my goodness... took the words right outta my mouth! er.. excuse me, fingers

the hardest part for me, for sure.. the guilt
Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I try not to think about all the money but like someone else said I feel guilty to spend on myself.Everyday I dont buy a pack of smokes I save 8.50 I cant even believe it.What I do do is take my family to Broadway and the Bronx Zoo The Planetarium and Yankee games.When we do these things on the way home my wife always says "I'm so happy you dont use anymore because when you did these day trips were no fun now I feel like your truly with us"
Old 04-12-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was buying hydros on line for like $ 400.00 a pop had 3 or 4 web sites going each month.A handicapped guy down the street sold me 200 percs a month and I had a 65 yr old woman who pooled her and her old lady friends hydro's to come up with 300 more a month.So I easily spent over $ 2000.00 a month.Fortunately I did not have to deprive my family of anything, because I make a good living.I don't care how much you make. 4 1/2 years of that makes a dent. I should have been helping others !!