good things CAN happen...

Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

good things CAN happen...

For those of you that have followed a few of my threads regarding dry drunk behavior of my husband, I finally can offer some hope. Of course, there is no cure for A's, but I know that there isn't a cure for some of my ills either. All I can do is continue to change and grow myself.

After much consideration of what to do about AH's financial faux pas (or fu's!) I decided I had two options to propose to him. The first was to complete separate finances and I had told him that this would be an option if things continued to go down that road. The other option took more thought on my part. I bring financial logic, if you will, to the table in the marriage but not other strengths that he certainly complements me on. I proposed instead of his paycheck going into his account; that we deposit it into the joint account where all of the bills are paid so I can pay ALL of the bills without wondering if he is paying on time, etc. He still has to be accountable for his account, but he will get a fixed amount of money-without having to pay bills out of it.

He liked the idea-and I broke down in tears. He didn't understand why? I said it has been SO hard...and he said he knew and he needs to take care of things and stop his pattern and be responsible. He also agreed to do 4 days a week of counseling instead of two.

Moral of the story ? I dont' really have one...except that it certainly takes compromise to stay in a relationship regardless of what issues are at stake. I hope it works and because he didn't make any big promises, I have no huge expectations. The things I agreed to do-I do anyway. The small changes he has to make he would have had to do anyways...

We are now working on healing.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Healing is good..... Very Good.

Protecting yourself and finances are even better.

Progress not perfection.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you.....
It took me awhile, but I'm in the midst of separating our finances as well. I think it's really important to do that, you don't need financial aggravation piled on top of all the other problems you face.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After seeing some of the accounts for running tabs my AH had at several "establishments" around town, I separated our finances at the beginning of the year and for the first time in over a decade I have saved some money!! In just three months!!! I feel so relieved to know exactly what my financial position is - it has been liberating!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking

I guess we all have our strengths, n'est pas??