Notices

My Introduction

Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Introduction

Goodmorning!
My name is Diane and I am a newcomer. I am a mother of a 21 yr. old heroin addicted son. I am ripped apart inside because of this! My husband is also, but he shows it in a different way.
After having 2 daughters we prayed for a boy. His middle name is Gregory,"a gift from God."
He was always a very laid-back, easy going child. Very close to his dad and myself.
Now, fastforward. He's been using for at least 3 yrs., but probably 4-5. He was in detox in Dec. for almost 10 days. He started using shortly after he came home. I did find a syringe in his shirt pocket in Jan. and he said that was from before. Somewhere inside of me I knew he was lying, but I accepted his word.
Then my husband was missing 90.00,(this wasn't the first time he's stolen from us), we confronted him and he admitted he took it, but not for heroin. (Denial on my part again)
Then this past week he stole from his good friend, he denied it, then admitted it when his friend said he was going to the cops. He woke me up at 11:30 p.m. and said he's using again and needs help.
I spent ALL day Tues. on the phone begging, pleading, whatever it took to get him somewhere for detox. No-one would take him. We live in Portage Co., Ohio and there is no detox or rehab here. I had to get the o.k. of an organization in Portage to put him in another county detox, this was new to me. I didn't know the way this worked.
Anyway, they wouldn't take him until Wed. I took him straight there, after he shot up again and did my arguing, begging and then just broke down. They took him.
Now my husband says he thinks the best thing for my son is a branch of the Service. He does not want him living here anymore. I can understand that, but it's slowly killing me inside.
You have to be wealthy to put your child in a rehab. I know there's the Salvation Army, but there's a waiting list there and I'm a little leary about the environment. I'm sure it's better than nothing though.
I am mentally & physically exhausted from pleading with people, arguing with them, and researching drug abuse and addicts.
I thank God I found this website!!!! I have no-one to share my thoughts & feelings with. We have decided not to tell our extended family, except our daughters. They would say, "where were the parents?" and look at him as if he were a monster.
He has a terrible disease, but how can I expect them to understand when I didn't?
My son will always be my boy! I love him unconditionally and always will! I break down crying unexpectedly. Will I ever get my "real son" back again?
I miss him so much!
He had a job at one time. He has a long way to go. He never got his driver's license, GED, and he lives with us. He needs to re-learn life skills and needs a very structured regimen.
You'll be hearing from me alot because I need to learn coping mechanisms and I need to lessen the pain inside.
Thank you!:praying
Diane