Notices

Day 14, stronger each minute

Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14, stronger each minute

Hi All,

Day 14 here and I think it is sticking. No major cravings, just a little grieving over what is going to happen with some friendships that were based on partying together. I guess if the friendship is strong it won't affect it. None of our friends know that I am not drinking we haven't seen anyone since I decided to stop. I am on a real health kick now, I think people accept that easier??? No one likes to lose a party buddy..but they will come to realize I am just as wild sober lol

Not sure what the summer will bring with BBQ's and camping, but I can't think about that now. Finally living in the moment, which I haven't in a long, long time.

Thanks everyone...

IMT
Old 04-02-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right with you at Day 15 IMT.

I've been trying to get sober for about a year, and they say youh ave to change people, places & things. At first, I didn't think I had to change "people" because I was such an isolated drinker. But I slowly realized that I just didn't enjoy the company of some of my friends when we were sober. None of them were bad people, we just didn't have much in common besides getting drunk. Even if you can't party or hang out with your friends as much, or at all anymore, the ones that care about you will still be there, even if its just in the background.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations to both of you for two weeks of no drinking.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Keep it up.
And your right. If they are true friends. This will not be an issue.
Keep moving forward.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Congrats on 14 days!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the time sober, and just keep staying in the moment and things will keep getting better.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm right there w/ you on the friends dilemma. My wife has a big need for social interaction, and with the crowd of friends we have alcohol is almost universal. I've told her I just can't go to some of these functions until I feel comfortable - I have a 30-day mark I'm going for before I am even going to attempt some social situations. She agrees with me that the benefits we are seeing by my not drinking far outweigh my not going to some of these events.

Coming up next weekend we are going to a condo w/ some of these partiers, but our kids are going to be there and I am going to keep myself busy hanging out with them instead of drinking (and being a bad dad,which is what would end up happening). This condo is in a big tourist trap area, so I'm thinking go-karting during the day and Wii/xBox 360 at night.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 15...made it through another Thursday night - my trigger day...Went for a looooong walk with my hubby and watched tv. It's awesome feeling good on Fridays, I use to dread them, can you believe it, because I would be hungover and eating all day.

Rainy day here, good day to finish work then curl up with a book - been reading tons again, one of my passions.

Take care,
IMT
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have the same issues with friends here but my best friend " brother in law" is a drinker but doesnt drink much or need to. So will just continue to hang with him. The summer BBQs and such are going to be a challange. I think once people know i have quit it will get easier. The hardest thing for me is all of the people asking why i am not drinking as i have always been know as such a drinker. Feel like some kind of freak.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What worked for me ....I told my friends I had quit drinking
and was attending AA. That my apartment was now a
no alcohol zone. I said no invitations will be accepted for awhile.

Yes...most did drift away rather quickly.
Booze was the tie that bound us together.

I found new friends in AA...who shared my
new healthy goals and positive lifestyle. ...
We did all sorts of things w/o alcohol...had a blast!

Well done on your sober time
You are winning over addiction!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The hardest thing for me is all of the people asking why i am not drinking as i have always been know as such a drinker.
My experience was most people did not care if I drank or not.... except my family, I did not have a single person ask me why I was not drinking. Think about it, when you were drinking did you really care if any one else was drinking? I didn't, as long as I was drinking every thing was OKAY!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know the people i hang with do not care if i drink. It is just more of an adjustment issue. Everyone just gets so used to seeing me with a beer in my hand that it stands out when i dont. I actually kind of enjoy being the non drinker. Always did like being different lol.