Notices

Withdrawl from 11 years of addiction

Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl from 11 years of addiction

Hi everyone. I am withdrawing from xanax after 11 years of continuous use, as well as being an Alcoholic in recovery.
At the end I was taking 4 to 4.5 mg every day (up to 9 .5 tablets a day). Some prescribed by my doctor, some bought from an online pharmacy in switzerland and some from paying someone, who needed the money, to get them from his own doctor (after I coached him what to say)
I have used the Ashton Protocol ( or The Ashton Manual) to withdraw. I don't know if I can, or should, speak about the medical aspect. All I can say is that I am down to a quarter after 8 months. It will take another 5 months, at least, to finish. I have had some withdrawal symptoms, but nothing I wasn't prepared for and able to deal with. It affected my life in that it restricted my work (I had to stop) and my energy and anxiety levels.
I'd be glad to give you any answer from my ongoing experience with this particular withdrawal schedule if you would like.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

irishmalcolm,
Please speak to a doctor.
This is not a medical site. We are not doctors. And withdrawal from xanax can be difficult and needs to have medical supervision - especially the way you were abusing them for such a long period of time.

MEDICAL SUPERVISION IS CALLED FOR HERE.
Please help yourself and do the right thing.
We care.

Shalom!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi historyteach,
Thanks for the post. I should have made clear that the withdrawal program is done on an out patient basis with a psychiatrist from a local psychiatric hospital. We meet every 2 weeks to review the medication, and work within the withdrawal schedule laid out in the Ashton manual, which gives a lot of scope for the individuals ability to handle the graduated withdrawl. I hope no one here would attempt to go it alone on this course of action. Without the guidance of the Psychiatric services and the support of my family, I would not have attempted it. I did once, and that nearly cost me dearly.

Shalom (I love that word) to you and everyone here.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is the Ashton manual and is it available online.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Ashton Manual was written by Prof. Heather Ashton, from Oxford University. It outlines a very conservative method to taper off benzos - with the aid of a competent psychiatrist. It's freely available online.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is freely available online. I don't know if the method is conservative, but Prof Heather Ashton spent 12 years working with 300 long term benzo dependent people. It is the longest and most comprehensive clinical investigation into withdrawal from these medications. My psychiatrist was familiar with the Aston Protocol from his studies. I am his first patient in my area to use the schedule that is detailed for my particular case. He has told me that there are now 5 more on the program, and the hospital is very happy with the response from the patients.
Because he was initially trained in Britain, where the NHS has accepted her findings as best practice it was lucky for me. Irish psychiatrists are not trained in her methodology, and it took me a long time to be appointed to a Doctor trained in Britain. I believe the American Medical Association use it as best practice, as well.
My own withdrawal will take 18 months in total. It has, and is, working for me. The side effects have been negligible, although the psychological aspect of dependancy will be monitored in a follow up course of sessions with a CBT therapist. All in all, it has changed my life unbelievably. I now travel, do not experience panic attacks and can chair an AA meeting. Some things I would not have done a year ago, when agoraphobia, panic disorder self medicated by alcohol and large doses of benzos ruled my every waking moment. The fellowship and program of AA treat my Alcoholism, and my Psychiatrist treats by 11 year benzo addiction.

God bless
Malcolm
Old 04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank god and yourself for finding a way. Will look for it over here in Cannuck land
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Gail. But it must be done under the supervision of a psychiatrist familiar with the process. And you must be, as I found out, patient. Her research shows, and it is my experience, that the possibility of withdrawing from Benzo dependancy can be relatively side-effect free, that the withdrawal is so slowly tapered it encourages the Brain to start up it's natural production of the GABA neurotransmitter. And that the tapered switch from short-acting Benzos (xanaz etc) must be replaced by long-acting (Diazepam).
I have found, at AA meetings, that it is a subject I do not bring up in sharing. I had enough well meaning advice from people who called into question my sobriety, that I was taking "alcohol in a pill" (if someone could invent that, they would be millionaires over night!) and that the AA pamphlet "AA and Medication" contains much good advice, but essentially I avoided the topic. I have never felt it my place to give advice to people with Gambling problems in AA (not being a gambler myself), yet many feel the need to discuss their views on psychotropic medication with me, having missed p133 of the Big Book where it starts "Now about helath:".
In the pamphlet "Problems other that Alcoholism", Bill Wilson defined Sobriety, in context of AA, as "Freedom from Alcohol".

I wish you good health and a peaceful mind,
Malcolm.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job!!! God Bless you Malcom!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not religious but your scripture is an inspirational quote from the big guy.
Well thought out.