View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
irishmalcolm

It is freely available online. I don't know if the method is conservative, but Prof Heather Ashton spent 12 years working with 300 long term benzo dependent people. It is the longest and most comprehensive clinical investigation into withdrawal from these medications. My psychiatrist was familiar with the Aston Protocol from his studies. I am his first patient in my area to use the schedule that is detailed for my particular case. He has told me that there are now 5 more on the program, and the hospital is very happy with the response from the patients.
Because he was initially trained in Britain, where the NHS has accepted her findings as best practice it was lucky for me. Irish psychiatrists are not trained in her methodology, and it took me a long time to be appointed to a Doctor trained in Britain. I believe the American Medical Association use it as best practice, as well.
My own withdrawal will take 18 months in total. It has, and is, working for me. The side effects have been negligible, although the psychological aspect of dependancy will be monitored in a follow up course of sessions with a CBT therapist. All in all, it has changed my life unbelievably. I now travel, do not experience panic attacks and can chair an AA meeting. Some things I would not have done a year ago, when agoraphobia, panic disorder self medicated by alcohol and large doses of benzos ruled my every waking moment. The fellowship and program of AA treat my Alcoholism, and my Psychiatrist treats by 11 year benzo addiction.

God bless
Malcolm