Notices

Anxiety and the waiting.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Anxiety and the waiting.

Hello, people. I don’t post much here, but I think I should.

I’m finally seeing a therapist…took me long enough to get there. I’ve had two sessions so far…and she really wants to get me on an SSRI for anxiety and depression, but the catch is that I have to stop drinking first…of course.

I started drinking a couple weeks ago after 80 days sober. That was the longest I ever made it. Alcohol calms me down…it’s the only thing that works. I know it’s not good to self-medicate…but I feel lost. Now I have to quit again…it gets harder to stop with each try.

I’m scared to keep drinking and I’m scared to quit. I know what I need to do, but assuming that I can quit again, how do I cope until my next session? Even if I go in there and have a week clean, I may not be able to get meds until the following appointment. Assuming I ever get the meds, I know it will take some time for it to kick in……so…..

…..In the mean time, what can I do to calm down? On top of that is the depression…all of these negative thoughts and feelings. I feel like I’m trapped in my mind. And I don’t smoke anymore . I can’t do that because of my blood pressure. I could probably sneak a few in, but it's not a good idea. Help.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Bamboozle,
And welcome to the anxiety forum of SR!

Here's a thread on the stickies up top, that will give you some great information on how to stop worrying. Also, each day, take the time to care for yourself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually -- in short -- take care of your whole self. These actions will help keep your anxiety in check too. If you need to start slow and build up, then that's fine, but, do start. You'll begin to feel better soon.

Please continue to post and let us know how you're doing.

Shalom!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Glad to see you posting here Bamboozle. Sorry to hear you are struggling so. Historyteach post has some good suggestions. Take care and keep us updated. Even if we don't have all the answers we are good listeners since many of us have walked the same path.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This might sound nuts, but I used to vacuum a lot and take a lot of showers. I used to walk and pace a lot to burn up some energy. I think anxiety creates it's own depression. A strict daily routine helps depression also. They had a study once that showed a daily routine brought some people out of their depression.

If you think about our bodies physical response to fear you can feel the adrenaline rush when we are startled by something or face danger. Our anxiety is a false danger response when no danger is present so we get that rush of adrenaline. This is our bodies way of giving us the energy we need to fight the danger or run from it. If we don't fight or run we just carry that adrenaline and it causes that feeling of anxiety and panic. We get stuck in the loop of perceived danger, fear, adrenaline, and anxiety and panic.

I moved up to the mountains and got stuck in a 2 week snow storm and had to shovel snow a few times a day. I was exhausted, but noticed how much better I felt. It calmed me down. It even cured my insomnia during those 2 weeks.

I think maybe I read that you have some heart problems though so heavy exercise might not be right for you. Talk to you doctor about walking. I usually need to find something other than walking though because I get bored when I walk.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

MG is absolutely correct.
Constant stress leads to an excess of cortesol, a stress hormone, buildup in the body. And that can lead to depression. Taking care of the whole body helps to take care of that. I cannot remember all of the details right now, but, I'll hunt down some research after work later on today.

Eat right; exercise; get plenty of sleep; learn new things; use positive affirmations; stay in touch with your higher power, etc....all of those types of things help care for the total self. Some may need medication too. Sometimes, these behavioral changes are the only things necessary.

Hope this helps!

Shalom!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm surprised your therapist didn't didn't address this with you. My very first therapy session, my counsellor told me that I needed to stop drinking and that my anxiety would probably get worse before it got better (fortunately for me, he was wrong about that). Then he taught me some techniques for meditation and relaxation and some breathing exercises. Now, that stuff didn't bring the immediate relief that the alcohol did, and it didn't make all the anxiety go away, but it did keep it from getting worse during withdrawal.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am now doing biofeedback in an attempt to learn how to consciously relax myself, to recognize signs of impending stress and deal with them in a positive way. I think it's helping, tho I'm still having a hard time dealing with overwhelming anxiety.

Exercise is very good for depression and anxiety, taking into account your physical limitations. I often take my dogs for a long walk and feel some better afterward. I also listen to music. Mozart helps me feel calmer and gets me 'out of myself'.

I also tend to isolate myself. Not leaving the house unless I have to. If it weren't for my dogs and a few family members and friends, I'd be a total recluse.

:ghug3