good grief, now what?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

good grief, now what?

It never rains, it pours.
So my sister is just checking her voicemails now since her shoplifting incident the other day, and there is a message from an officer at a prison 3 hours north of Toronto.
Said to call back during business hours. The sister called after hours and got "the office of the CCO". I looked it up, and its a men's prison

Huh? Anyone have any ideas on what a CCO is? Chief Correctional Officer? I guess we'll find out the story tomorrow.
Odd that the call came within a day of her other run-in with the police. I assume something got flagged somewhere. More pharmacies I would understand...but a prison up in the middle of nowhere?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My God! What's that all about? Never hard of leaving a message like that. Isn't there such a thing as privacy laws there? I do believe that CCO is Chief Correctional Officer.

I hate getting things on Friday when you have to wait the entire weekend to find out what it's all about. Maybe it was the wrong number?

No kidding, a while ago, while my son was in the correctional camp (which was pleasant next to big boys' prison) I got a collect call from the jail here where I live. I swear, I accepted the call. Why??? Just figured it was my son telling me he screwed up and they sent him back to the local jail awaiting a transfer to SQ.

Dumb??? It was crazy! I don't do things like that anymore.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep its annoying that they didn't leave details, and called before the weekend
One possibility I'm sort of hoping for is that its a mistake.
There is another woman out there, much older than my sister, with a crime history a mile long in several parts of the country. The first time my sister had her run ins with the law they had to verify she wasn't the same person that had all kinds of old warrants out for her.
Still...its a men's prison, and since when do prison's make their own calls if there is an issue? Wouldn't the local police instead?
Maybe its some shady person in there she might have had dealings with in Toronto that dropped her name on something or other.
Or maybe I should just go out and enjoy the day and stop letting my fertile imagination come up with scenarios
Old 03-22-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Or maybe I should just go out and enjoy the day and stop letting my fertile imagination come up with scenarios

Sounds like an excellent plan!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you ever heard of a "spoof" call? It happened to me. Someone called me and had my phone # on my caller id. Kindof freaked me out, but then I learned there are spoof cards people use to do it with. Anyway, I couldn't imagine why a CCO from a male prison would be calling her. It doesn't make sense, and sounds like nothing to worry about.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just remembered a funny thing. I kept getting this call from I assume was a collection agency. Each time they called they would ask for Jesus Garcia and I would tell them they had the wrong number.

This went on for several days and I was beginning to get really annoyed, so the last time they called and asked for Jesus, I said, "oh, no, please don't tell me Jesus is in trouble again!"

They must have been flabbergasted because they never called again! LOL

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, mystery solved:
A friend of my sister got the same call. Turns out there is someone they know who has been in jail a while who wanted to get in touch with his old friends. In order to be allowed the call, the prison has to first verify the number is who he says it is, and ask permission for calls to be recorded.
Not thrilled she has someone in jail wanting to reach out and touch someone, but relieved that's all it is.
Always something!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Still...its a men's prison, and since when do prison's make their own calls if there is an issue? Wouldn't the local police instead?

This is true I have been in prison and they never do there own calling unless it is to a family member of an inmate and there is a medical condition...I would call in the morning but i wouldn't worry to much about it. If there were going to be more charges it would come from a police department.

Schana