Notices

less fortunate

Old 03-18-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

less fortunate

A lovely post by toomutch has reminded me to share some stuff that bothers me just recently...
How i need to pause and think about what others havent got..
And how luck i am to have a job ...house...and all the material stuff..

This consumer driven world make me sick sometimes...but i continue to "BUY" into it....being groomed by sales assistants telling me.. how much more my life will have meaning if i only go to a flat screen 50 inch tv...blah..blah..blah

Its all b.s and makes my sick.

I was in a garden store the other day...searching for a mothers day card.
Through the gap in the shelves i saw a guy holding up a book.
Around him were awful posters of poor sick children in africa...
Everyone was pretending not to see him......or ignoring him totally.
I went over to see what it was about.
The guy was trying to build a school for the kids.in africa and had wrote a book....and was trying to sell it to raise money for building materials.

All the people were interested in was silly plants or compost and had no time for this guy.....not even to pause to give him the respect of listening to him.

i bought one of his books...and he is the nicest guys you could meet..i true angel....

I hope i never get so wrapped up in.. me. me. me.me. and consumerism that i get like those people in that store.

"Father please give me the wisdom to put a huge distance between "want" and "need" in my thinking....and continue to give me the ability to see greed for what it is... the nearer i am to greed the further i am from you...amen."
Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Trucker,

I think it's always so good to remember to be grateful for what we have.

In my life, I have move gradually towards minimalism. We have downsized three times in the past ten years due to children leaving home and changing needs. We now have a relatively small but amazing space and everything in it, is used. Things are not put away for special occasions, they are used. I LOVE it! I am not overwhelmed by stuff.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trucker, thank you so much for this post. It is very important to not be wrapped up in selfish greed and be thankful for what we do have, whether it's just a little or a lot. Being of the poor side of the fence myself and realizing there are people out there a lot worse off than myself it's easy to remember to be thankful. And when possible, I think it equally if not more important to do for others less fortunate. I think this is a wonderful post and wish the whole world would read it and those so focused on greed and "me" would have a change of heart.
Wes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
"Father please give me the wisdom to put a huge distance between "want" and "need" in my thinking....and continue to give me the ability to see greed for what it is... the nearer i am to greed the further i am from you...amen."
Thanks for that, I really like it..
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Good for you Trucker.....my church is doing a big World Vision event for Kenya. Do you know there are no adults to speak of over there? They have all died from aids.....children run around on their own......bless this man for building a school.....he has earned his wings!

Thanks for the post, it's humbling.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great thread to wake up to! I'll take a bit of that wisdom to put a huge distance between "want" and "need" in my thinking if there is any going trucker?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Trucker and thanks for a very thoughtful post. I am working on developing greater compassion for others at the moment. I think most people are compassionate towards on an intellectual level - the problem is, this doesn't always translate into feelings and actions. I want to make sure that I "feel" compassion and empathy - not just "think" it.

DB
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Great post trucker, escaping self is truly freeing.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When you desire less of the material world...you can give more of yourself to those in need. Putting others first with a servants heart.....like Tazman said....is truly part of being free.

God bless ya trucker.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This a a great thread for me today.. I just received my fairly large refund for our cancelled honeymoon The old me would have blown most of it either shopping or at the bar. But the new and improved me is thinking about the difference between wants and needs.. I put most of it on bills, and the rest in my savings to rebuild my finances.. Going to the bar isn't even a thought !!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by trucker View Post

Nice post

I can do that as well. Love to get rid of my big screen for a flat screen. How important is that though?

My town car and my camaro aren't new, just well taken care of. No longer trading vehicles that, looked like I was in a stock car race.

The only thing we take with us when, we leave the Earth is the clothes on our back.

Long as our needs are met, we shouldn't spend countless time consumed by our wants !
Old 03-19-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice post Trucker... When I think about it, for the most part I have gotten more pleasure out of doing things for others than I have from any of my material possesions. I believe the Lord gives me this pleasure because I am doing his work, instead of merely focusing on myself.

"God I will never live a day that I am not in need of your grace, so please help me maintain an attitude that welcomes it. Help me to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show humility toward all men". ( 1 Pet. 3:8 )