Notices

Newbie here and rehab advice needed

Old 03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here and rehab advice needed

Hi Everyone!
I come to this forum as a concerned family member. I apologize in advance if I’m posting in the wrong place. Here is some background info. My 24 year old brother had been using cocaine/crack for 5 years until June/08. At that point he was admitted into rehab and successfully completed his program.

I found out earlier today that he had relapsed and has been using for a couple weeks. I think the best course of action would be for him to immediately return to some kind of impatient treatment program. Am I on the right track?

So I guess my question for everyone would be if you could recommend the best possible inpatient drug treatment facility in North America? (we are from Canada but willing to send him anywhere).

I’ve done some research and I’ve come up with Betty Ford, Caron and Hazelden. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Your help is very much appreciated.
Chantelle
Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

My first question would be...Does he want to go?
Does he want help and is he really ready?

If the answer to those questions are yes. Then I would suggest finding one that he is comfortable with. Because after all..He is the one who is going. I am not sure which would be best without knowing any detaiks about him or his use.
But in my opinion...I would take the nearest and fastest one. But that is just me.

Good Luck and welcome
Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does he want to go? You can't force sobriety on him.

I'm sure others will be on to talk about rehabs.

Welcome to SR.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He is willing to go.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

There is a difference between willing and wanting.
But none the less. Willing is better than not.
So I am not sure what it is you are looking for in a rehab. What your qualifications are.
There is a directory on the main SR page. I think. Maybe others will be along to help more. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I think this is a decision that your Brother needs to make . . . after all, it's his Recovery that's at stake.

I'm glad that you care so much about your Brother to be looking into Treatment Center and finding us here on SR and to ask these questions. Many of us addicts/alcoholics have burnt our bridges with our Families and don't have the love and support he seems to have. Just please be careful to support him, not try to work his Program by doing any of the work he needs to do.

I hope you will keep us updated and continue to post. As you know from the past, once he admits he needs help, the real work has just begun. And not just for him, for the whole family as well. Addiction is a disease that effects the whole family and everyone who loves the addict.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Chantelle,

There is an excellent private inpatient rehab in Toronto (Canada).

The link is Drug Alcohol Gambling Eating Sexual Addiction Treatment in Toronto Canada
If that link doesn't work, google Bellwood Treatment Centre. The phone number is (416) 495-0926. The toll free number is 1 800 387 6198. Not sure if the toll free works within Canada.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree, your brother has to want to go to treatment. But if he really wants help, then I'm glad his family is willing to send him somewhere.

I live in Ohio and know that Glenbeigh near Cleveland is supposed to be a good rehab.

You may also want to post in Friends and Family of Alcoholics forum. Lots of experience there.

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 165 days clean. I agree that he has to want to go. He can't go just to please his family, it has to be for himself. If I had gone when my family wanted me to, I'd have been clean for years not days! I just woke up one morning, sick and tired of the way I was living my life and I knew that if I didn't get help, I wouldn't make it another month. I checked into a facility called Life Center of Galax, VA.
I heard that they were second to Betty Ford as far success rate. Trust me, this place is not a 'spa'. It's located in the Virginia Mtns. The nurses, doctors and counslers are wondeful, they know their ''stuff". Like I said, it's a no frills kinda place, but I needed help...not a vacation. I left there a different person. They taught me that I'm worth more than what I'd become and gave me the tools for a successful recovery...But the real work begins when you go back out into the real world. You have to have a true desire to remain clean and take care of your sobriety as though your life depends on it...
Because It Does!!!
Good luck to you, your brother, and your family. :praying
Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I've been to Hazelden, twice... That said, I'm probably a little biased.

I know pretty much for certain that Betty Ford is modeled after Hazelden. My first trip through Hazelden I met a guy who had been to both BF and H. He said they are pretty much the same. If it's winter, go to BF. In summer, got to H.

My understanding of the Hazelden model is sort of the baseline by which many other treatment centers operate. Hazelden has been in the business the longest and has basically written the book on recovery.

One of my counselors said that working for Hazelden was like playing for the New York Yankees (he used a lot of baseball analogies). They (according to him) have the pick of the best counselors because they are the best and everyone wants to work there. That was his opinion anyway...

My Hazelden experience was great and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm of the opinion that they really know what they are doing there. In addition, there's quite a recovery community in the greater MSP area as a direct result of Hazelden's proximity. It's sort of an added bonus to come out of treatment and find literally thousands of others who have gone through the same program.

It was such a great experience, I had to relapse so I could go back! Yeah... I know, if they are so good, why did I need to go twice? Sometimes it takes a few tries for things to get through my thick skull I guess.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If he truly wants recovery again, it shouldn't matter the rehab. He'll get out of it what he puts into it. I went through a no-frills rehab and it saved my life because I was desperate for a better way of life.