Notices

benzos making depression worse?

Old 02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hippy

benzos making depression worse?

I have been taking diazepam on the odd occassion when my anxiety is overwhelming me. It helps, it takes away that awful fear that I can't get through another day. I have been careful not to take them too regularly and when I do, I only take 2.5mg, half of my prescribed dose. Yet, when I do, a short while later I feel low and I start thinking all sorts of bad stuff. I know this is because they are a depressant. I feel like I can't win as it is unbearable to get through a day with the anxiety at the heights it has been reaching but it is equally hard to get through the lows. I feel I am living a yo yo life (well....I do live a yo yo life anyway!) and choosing which I should live with for that day....anxiety or depression.

I just want to feel ok. This is such a hard hard slog. My pdoc took me off quetiapine which helped the anxiety and what he has replaced it with is doing nothing for me except make me eat.

Do others find similar if they take diazepam or other benzos?

Hippy
Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

exactly what I feel if I am not taking them as perscribed, try taking them for two weeks straight the way the dr said if it is still off tell your dr................they are there to help not to hinder.....good luck

Pamm
Old 02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I moved on to an antidepressant that helped so much more. That was a trial and error excersise in itself but when I found one that worked it was so much better than the benzo's.

Keep an open line of communication with your doctor (I journaled each day to give me an idea of what was helping/hindering) and my Pdoc would glace at it weekly until we found a good dose/combo.