Notices

quitting smoking at same time?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quitting smoking at same time?

I was wondering if anyone here tried to quit smoking at the same time as drinking? I read that this is now recommended and that people actually do better if they quit both at once. I can't imagine trying that right now, I think it would be too much to handle. Just wondering if anyone has tried and been successful? If so, what helped?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I can't imagine trying that right now, I think it would be too much to handle.

Then don't quit smoking right now.

YOU are the only one that matters, others may or may not have, but they don't count.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm doing them both at the same time pretty much - I gave up smoking about three week before the booze, so it's more coincidence that judgement! I am fiding it a bit tricky though, but don't want to start smoking again, so am sticking with it. But NO, don't try it if you feel it would be too much..

xx
Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a load of rubbish that quitting 2 things at once is better than one, please ignore this. I've had AA, my counselor, my close friends, my exgf etc. advise me to think about quitting by all means but the most important thing beyond any measure is sobriety. For god's and your's sake be careful who you listen to!

Not that i dont think about quitting everyday but thats ok, you and i will do it when we are ready, stay sober! tommyk is spot on!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I could not do both and I did try.

As my drinking was causing me problem
that's what I consentrated on.

Sobriety had to come first for me...
Old 02-22-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi I managed to stop drinking and smoking hash at the same time, it has gone ok. I'm still smoking cigarettes though and loads of them which I don't like.I am planning on cutting down gradually at one point and then stopping but I'm not putting pressure on myself just now I feel that dealing with getting sober/clean and also ending a serious relationship is enough to deal with just now. I do want to be stopped though within the next six months
Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry i just need to clarify i am talking about smoking cigarettes here right? If the 2 things you want to give up at the same time are smoking crack and drinking alcohol then yes it would be a very good idea to give both up at the same time!

jch we talking about cigarettes or pot here?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Take nicotine replacements

Everybody knows that alcohol and smoking destroy health, especially womens'. These habits also crash our life. If you are not able to cope with withdrawal symptoms youself than ask a doctors. Currently there are a lot of nicotine replacements which help you to overcome withdrawal period.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Last time I was in treatment, they said the same thing - better chance of success when quitting both. I didn't try.

Friends in treatment tried. Just about everyone was put on CHantix. For those that could tolerate the drug (many did not like being on it due to side-effects), seemed to work pretty well.

Of those who I stayed in contact with following treatment (some 20 months later), not one had quit smoking permanently of those who did not relapse on alcohol or drugs.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

What worked for me was one thing at a time.

First I quit drinking.

Then nicotine.

Then pain pills.

Then pot.

All within a period of 5 months, gradually, and at my own pace.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would love to stop smoking at the same time as not drinking - but no way! Apart from anything else, alcohol saps your mood and spirit and robs you of the strength to make improvements in other areas of your life. So, my theory is that if I stay sober, eventually I will recover enough self respect to address other things, and have the right frame of mind to do this. But we are all different I guess.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

New studies have shed much light on cross-addiction between nicotine and alcohol. Nicotine increases the craving for alcohol. For many alcoholics, smoking is also a behavioral trigger for drinking, and getting clean from cigarettes is a major step toward reducing cravings for alcohol. Many alcoholics in recovery have successfully quit smoking after they quit drinking. Studies have shown also that alcoholics can quit drinking and smoking at the same time, and modern treatment centers are increasingly based on this principle.
The Sober Alcoholic's Stop Smoking Support Page
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

It's funny I actually quit smoking at the same time as drinking a year ago, but I was only able to quit drinking for 2 days, still smoke free and now on my 25th day sober !!!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been to busy concentrating on this sober thing right now...I don't smoke, never have...I chew. I've done this since I was 13 years old...it's such a part of my life, guess I haven't given it too much thought at this time.

Maybe, hopefully, its next to go....tired of being a slave.

Peace all.