Notices

Newbie here .. my (alcohol) story - maybe it will help you

Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here .. my (alcohol) story - maybe it will help you

Hi ... I posted this as a reply to another poster on another board, and thought it would make a good intro, as this is my first day here. Glad I found this forum .. what a great gathering place. Seems to be a lot of support and information!

Anyway, I caved (finally) and made a doctor's appointment a few weeks back, and had a follow-up last week .... and this is my story:

I'm 44, female, have anxiety problems (likely because of the drinks), and I have been a drinker for many years .. especially the most recent years ... and often had (until last week) a drink first thing in the morning to get a "calm head" ... and then throughout the day until bedtime. I never really get drunk, never have a hangover ... but I keep enough in me to keep the buzz / calm going throughout the day.

I knew it was getting out of hand .. I was going through a quart (750 ml) of hard liquor a day. Sounds like a lot, but when you space it out from, say 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m., having a drink every 1-2 hours, that's how much I was going through per day. (I hid most of it, to make it seem like I was only having a couple each evening.) ... upwards of 10-14 mixed drinks per day. Yikes.

Then, I got the flu for the first time ever in January, and had it for the full month. (Didn't make me stop drinking though.) I decided to go to my doctor when I wasn't really getting better .. (sick, queasy, dizzy, shakey, sniffles, sinus, cough, sore throat - I have to wonder if it wasn't just the booze making my body angry?)

So, I went to the doctor and talked to her about some of my concerns (the flu, my anxiety, and I mentioned I used alcohol to take the edge off, but didn't tell her how much). She sent me for blood work. (I am ashamed to say that not only did I drink the night before my blood work, I actually drank two drinks the morning of - How stupid was that? sheesh.)

The results came back (last Tuesday) and my liver enzymes were nuts. My doctor called me back and had a "talk" with me, showed me my enzyme levels compared to what was normal, and told me what they may mean. It scared the heck out of me.

I stopped drinking that very afternoon. However (alcoholic that I am), I haven't quit completely. I have, however, cut down to two beers before bed (versus 10-14 "hard" drinks). NO morning drinks. NO daytime drinks. She scared me straight(er).

I'm also eating good foods, guzzling lemon water, taking vitamins, and drinking coffee (apparently coffee has been studied to help the liver - if you google the words Coffee Alcohol Liver, there are lots of articles). I'm going to get some milk thistle too, as that's supposed to be pretty good.

Hopefully there's no liver damage. The doctor was pleased that my blood pressure was perfect, and my cholesterol and blood sugar are great too.

As for cutting back that much alcohol "cold turkey" -- just one week ago -- I have had no withdrawal symptoms at all. I feel great. My anxiety is gone. I'm mad at myself, and maybe that's why - something new to focus on?

Looking forward to reading through all of the posts here... Thanks for listening to my story!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Did you ask your doctor for help in quitting drinking? Medical help might be a good idea, considering how much you've been drinking, even tho you've had no withdrawals. If you were to completely stop drinking you may just have withdrawals, and they're not pleasant. Please talk to your doctor for help in stopping completely. As long as you're still drinking, no matter what or how much, you're still doing damage to yourself.

Welcome to the family!:ghug3
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and thank you for your welcome.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

welcome, I hope you continue to enjoy reading the posts.

nice to hear your story, thank you fro sharing it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, thanks for sharing your story. SR is a great resource with alot of good people that can really help.

Peace
Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome, you will find good support here, I hope you stay around.

Take care x
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OneCat

Welcome to SR!

My liver enzymes were way out of whack too. My dr. gave me some meds to help with the w/d's and said I better quit or my life will quit on me at a young age. (I'm 43). I guess that scared me enough that I didn't touch anything after that and I was also drinking about a bottle, 750, per day throughout the day. I felt like I was reading my story when I read yours!

I went back yesterday to the dr. It was day 34 and I hope my numbers are better.

This is a great place to come for support and advice. I think it helps me alot to feel not so alone in my struggle and hope it helps you too. I am not strong enough to do the couple beers a night. I would start and keep going. the fact that you can cut back that much should give you encouragement that you can quit altogether if that's what you choose.

Have a great day and once again welcome!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts, everyone!