Notices

Suffered a terrible blow....

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suffered a terrible blow....

I just last week lost my job of 17+ years. It is so devastating, as I am sure you are all aware this economy is terrible. I was not happy doing what I was doing any more anyway, but still quite a blow none the less. Just realizing I will not travel to the place I have for so long and see those I have thought of as my friends and family. Very lonely thought. Yet, I still have not picked up my old friend alcohol nor do I plan on it. I just think that would make an already devastating thing feel even worse. Of course, they did take care of me and I am sort of okay money wise, even can take the summer off! ha ha. Just fearful that this is all getting worse. Time to switch gears I think into an entirely different career and direction. And I plan on doing it SOBER!

I am wondering, how many of you on here have also been a victim of this terrible ecomony and have you maintained your sobriety as well?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey bstt03 -
So sorry to hear this - whew. Yes, in our family we have been hit - I lost my biggest client which has brought our family income down by about 1/3.. We also have a number of friends who have been out of work for close to a year.. This is a really tough time which is unlike anything we have seen in our lifetimes.

Way to go not even picking up your old friend drink and knowing it would just make things worse.. Being a newbie it is inspiring to read this!

Hopefully the outcome will bring something new and good into your life!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

My husband and I are both currently unemployed. The job situation is terrible here in Maine. And I am still recovering from surgery. He is on unemployment. I am going to start pounding the pavement next week now that I am well enough to work again.

There is nothing a drink won't make worse. I have been sober 60 days today. You don't have to drink over this...nothing is worth picking up a drink over..when a door closes..another one opens....I am so sorry for your loss...it will be a grieving process..but you can do this sober...you will feel so much better when you get through the other side!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you lost your job, but it sounds like you may be ready for a fresh challenge too! The company i work for laid off 200 people last year! I think HR did an average, i don't know why and the average employee that they laid off had 5 years with the company.

I can feel the tide turning for the worse and think it is only a matter of months for me, but to hell with it i'm sober and ready for whatever hehe

Keep your chin up.-)
Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Time to switch gears I think into an entirely different career and direction. And I plan on doing it SOBER!
Good for you! This old gal is in college full-time and praying there will be work once I graduate. I will be doing my practicums in the medical records department of the hospital where I live, so hopefully that will get my foot in the door there.

I'm also keeping my eye on a medical center just 35 miles west of me.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about your job loss bstt, and I know it's hard to not feel the loss. But, you sound like you have a good attitude. It could be a great opportunity for you to do something you would really like to do.

So far, my husband and I have been okay, but who knows how long things will stay that way.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. Freedom, I am thinking of going into the medical field too. Maybe nursing.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is not exactly the same but...I too had to make a job change
when I re-located to another state.

....I told every AA member that would stand still I needed help.

I was offered several laeds...took a job in a totally different field.
I did the certification and worked for the 6 years I was there.
I was a CNA...low pay but the most rewarding job I ever had...

I suggest you look into Health Care.
There are many sides to this and it is a growing industry.

Sorry for the job loss...
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

FAITH IS CONFIDENCE IN GOD WHEN YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND

Seems like once of those situations where you have some hidden Blessings that just aren't too clear at the moment. And you have a great deal to be grateful for. You said you have some money set aside and were getting bored anyway. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to switch careers.

The longest I ever had the same job was 4 1/2 years and when it ended, I was scared to death. This was many years ago, but even today, at times, change and I don't get along too well. lol

I'm glad you realize that picking up will only make the situation a whole lot worse.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Real sorry to hear that......but thankfully you have some cash by the sound of things..

Changing career direction was one of the best things ive ever done...

A couple of years ago i found myself with some cash and no job..

Someone said.....".train to do something youve always wanted to do".

Im 42 and since i was a kid ive always wanted to drive big trucks...

Tests here for driving trucks are tough....3 seperate tests for big rigs and about 3k £

I passed.......and i do something ive always wanted to do.....drive trucks

Childhood dream come true.......i love it.....always moving landscape from my office window.

Another gift of recovery......freedom too decide my path through life.

Good luck with it..........trucker
Old 02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post, Trucker!

That's very inspiring!