Parade.com poll

Old 02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Parade.com poll

There is a poll on parade.com. Parade is normally in my inlaws Sunday newspaper.
PARADE Magazine | How to Stop Drunk Drivers

I just wanted to give my thoughts on ignitition interlocks. I LOVE THIS!!! I hope my husband never takes it off his vehicle.

Just to give an update since I have not been on in a couple of months. My husband kept relapsing and then lost his job again in September. I really thought that divorce was the best path at that point. Then, his DUI finally went through,and an ignition interlock was put on his truck. His sobriety has been the best since I have ever known my husband. I no longer have to worry if he has been drinking when he is driving--it is very difficult to get the truth from an alcoholic--sometimes you can tell--sometimes you are just not quite sure--the device tells you right away, and it has been a lot easier on our relationship.

The reality is that it is the alcoholic's choice if they really want to recover. I still do not know what the future will have for both of us. My husband now has a part-time job and lives with his parents most of the time and attends AA in his parents hometown (he relapsed the most when he was living by himself and trying to stay sober in Seattle). He commutes to Seattle for his part-time job and stays with me two nights a week. We are taking it slow. Hopefully, it will work out in the future for him to have a full time job and for us to live together again. This March will be our second anniversary, so I am hoping that it will work out.

I am really thankful to God, and I have gotten more involved with a community group at my church. I am taking care of myself : )
Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

It's nice to hear from you and that you are doing so well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mtr

PV,

I read your link and voted "yes". I'm happy to read that the device is working for your husband. And based on his actions thus far it seems like he's on the right path to living w/o alcohol. I hope it works out for the both of you.

My husband recently got the interlock put onto one of our cars. Unfortunately he has the option of driving the other vehicles when he wants to drink. Initially I thought that he would do the right thing, but that was wishful thinking on my part. Maybe one day he will think better of his life and make the right decision to seek help and stop drinking.

I'm praying for the best for you.