Notices

My first step admission

Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first step admission

I'm not sure if this is the right way to do this or if there even is a right way. I just found the "Questions to ask yourself while working Step 1" thread and don't know where to post my answers. So if I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

Here are the first set of questions for Step 1.

1. What does it mean to be so powerless over alcohol that you are unable to manage your life?

It means being helpless. It means that I cannot control myself even though I try to tell myself otherwise. It means that alcohol causes me to do and say things that hurt those I love. It causes guilt and shame.

2. How far do you have to go to hit bottom? Do you drink alone so no one can see how much you consume? Do you hide stashes of alcohol where only you can find them?

I am afraid that I have not yet hit bottom. That scares me to death. I don't ever want to see the bottom. Yes, I drink alone and yes I have had stashes. The sad truth of that is that there was no need to hide anything. My wife is super understanding, although she is getting close to her limit.

3. Have you ever felt like trying to use self-will to control your drinkin is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline? Explain.

Yes, I have. I thought I could do it on my own. I thought it was a symptom of a different problem, but now that I have come to terms with those other issues and yet I still drink, it isn't fixed.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Step One ~ Part 2: Questions
"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol ~
that our lives had become unmanageable"

1. Is there something besides abstinence and the 12 Steps that you think
might work for you?

I thought I could just give up the hard stuff, but as yesterday proved it's not a big leap from one to the other.

2. What effect does your drinking have on the people around you?

God, it hurts her so much. I do such stupid things that are disrespectful. It makes me look like a complete ass to our friends and family.

3. Are you living your life the way you want to live it?

Obviously not. I thought I was content and happy but the drinking tells me otherwise.

I think it is too early to answer the next batch.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a tough journey to go alone, have you considered AA? It's not the only way out there, but for some of us it is the best way. If you do go to a meeting, find someone who has recovered and considering asking them to sponsor you. They will lead you through the steps as they are outlined in the book.

AA's 12 steps are in the basic text titled Alcoholics Anonymous. These are precise instructions, that have worked very well for a long time when followed exactly. Good luck on your journey you will find plenty of support here, PM me if I can be of help.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, You have recognized the two parts to the 1st step! When I started recovery I was told the most important word to the first step is We-it is not an I program. We can do it together. AA is for me a great ftf support group as well as SR. Rob B gave great advice. Recovery is an all or nothing process, it is a life change and half measures will avail you nothing. (How it works quote) Recovery for me has been a long hard worth while program. What is great to remember is that all the silly things you did in the past are in the past. You do not have to be that person anymore! LOL
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are working towards recovery.
.....Welcome!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have tried AA, well try might be a strong word, but i did go to a meeting. Being a non-Godder, I was turned off. I have already been pointed to the non secular section of the forums and have been reading there. I also found SOS (can't remember what it stands for) but they are secular as well and are sending me an info packet on groups in my area. I'll share more when I get the info.