Update on Best Friend. Thought I'd lost her.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on Best Friend. Thought I'd lost her.

I thought I would write an update to my post about my best friend's reaction to my seeking recovery.

For those that don't know, she had some very strong opinions against AA and Al-Anon and, IMO, defended her own brother's alcoholism as being the fault of his nagging wife. I was quite floored by her position on the matter and had no idea that she had once had a drug problem or had been to any meetings at all.

Well, when we left off the conversation, we were going to catch up over the weekend. I call her last night not sure what would happen or if she would even want to talk about it further.

We started out chit-chatting about our weekends, but before I could even broach the subject, she asked me how my process was coming along. She apologized for being so strong in her opposition to Al-Anon and made a very heartfelt plea for me to ignore her and pursue recovery in any way I feel comfortable and that she would support whatever I decided to do. I apologized for the timing of it all since she had gotten stood up by a prospective love interest, and she threw that off entirely, that it was her own history driving her response not any irritation with me.

We had a long discussion after that about our feelings and thoughts on alcoholism and relationships. She admitted more to me about her experiments with drugs in her teenage and that she hasn't used since but did understand the use of drugs and alcohol to escape. She gave me some great insight into what may be driving my ABF's addiction citing examples from knowing both of us over the years.

In the end, she reiterated her support for me and my recovery.

Peace to everyone today.
:ghug2

Alice
Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad she came around, alice.

Because her original opinion was simply ignorance.

So glad you're on this recovery road with us.