scared for my mothers life

Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy scared for my mothers life

Hi, I'm new. I've never posted on any forum really and I'm not sure if I'm even in the right place, but I really need some advice.
My mother has had an alcohol problem for some years. Over the past year she has ended up in the hospital due to liver and pancreatic problems. Elavation of her enzymes basically. After she was released she started to go to AA meetings and was doing well. However in the last few days, that I know of, she has started drinking again. She ended up in jail as well. She won't ever really tell me anything or any one else for that matter. I learned what was happening through my sister who basically said that our mother was drinking again and would die quickly if she didn't stop. I'm scared to death. One issue is that my step father who she lives with drinks. It doesn't effect his life really. He just has just always drank a couple of beers after work, but I'm assuming that's a huge problem. I don't know that she cares about her life and I know it has to bother her that her husband won't stop drinking despite the fact that she's an alcoholic. I feel like I need to talk to her as soon as possible. I guess I just have no idea what to do or how to do it. I need to know that there is some hope. If anyone has any advice or information on anything please help. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Star,

I'm sorry that you have had to live through so much with your mother. As sad as it is, there is nothing that YOU can do to help her. She has to make the decision to work for recovery on her own. I know that you are afraid, but you will find many experienced and supportive people here who can share their own experiences with you.

Others will be along soon! Remember, where there is life, there is hope!

Hugs and lots of good wishes,
HG
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by starw16 View Post
. I guess I just have no idea what to do or how to do it. I need to know that there is some hope. If anyone has any advice or information on anything please help. Thank you.
The only thing that you can do is talk to your mother in a sincere, but not angry way, and tell her that you are scared for her because of her drinking and explain why.

She may accept this and say that she'll do something about it, or she may deny that she is in trouble. If she denies that she is in trouble, let it go. You can't fix her problem. She has to do it herself.

If she says she'll do something, offer her the phone number to AA Central Services in your area or a treatment center. She'll have to follow up on her own. If she doesn't, let it go. She has to fix her problem herself.