Notices

Smoke Free for Two Weeks

Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hug Hard!

Talking Smoke Free for Two Weeks

Hi All! I cold turkey-quit and it has been 14 days. Some not so hard and some nearly unbearable!!!!! On the really tough days I go to youtube and watch a video of someone sick or dying from a smoking related disease. That may be a little odd but it works for me. I really, really want to never take another puff. Good luck to all the rest of you.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, yoda!
Welcome to the nicotine forum of SR!
And congratulations on two weeks free from the nicodemon!

Please join us on the daily support thread. We're a great group of folks who support each other on this journey. I hope to see you there.

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Post before I puff......got it
Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome yoda and yonanjan!

Remember we are ALL in this together and it IS doable! :ghug
Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I have been smoking 1 a day.....It seems 3-4pm is a tough time....this is when I pick up the ciqarette......I have to remind myself ....IF I DON'T PICK UP I WON'T USE.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

yonanjan,
Come here and post about what's going on.
Do it before you pick up that sickarete.

Or go for a run.
Or do something that you cannot smoke while doing. Like clean your bathroom floor. Wash something -- the car.

Do *something* different from what you are doing.
It's all about behavior.
When we change what we're doing,
we change what we're thinking and feeling,
And the urge to smoke passes.

You can do this.
One day at a time.

Shalom!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good advice historyteach. What happens around 3-4pm is my husband comes home and this can be stessfull. We've both been drug free for 8 years. Actually I am a member of Narcotics Anonymous.....He doesn't have a program of recovery.....So He can be somewhat miserable. Thats his choice. Unfortunately, his crap usually spills over into my space. Wait....lets get honest here......I am a codie....and I try to keep things as stressfree as I can.....Okay thats another thread I believe I've read here somewhere.....
Back to the smoking issue..which is my crap. Today I did better.....I didn't listen to my disease telling me that my husband makes me smoke.....So today I have 24 hrs tobacco free. Yeah
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am posting, I am not smoking, cuz I am posting and I'm not smoking. I am posting, and I am posting, cuz I'm not smoking...in front of the building. That was my remix to the smoking in front of the building song from the Bob and Tom show. I have been singing this all day.........
Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

Good for you!!!
Each day clean is a breath of fresh air.
You *can* do this; today shows you just how it is done.

Shalom!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job!
The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step!

Keep it up!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I relapsed......Took a puff off my husband's cig.....After I took that first puff, my disease said....."Well you already lost your clean time might as well smoke a whole cigarette"....and I did. TODAY....My thoughts will be on my recovery, people who are not smoking and have found a smokefree way of life....As long as I follow this way I have no smoke to fear.....Just for Today......
Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

smoked another cigarette. My daughter asked if I was going to post that I smoked. I told her no....because I am a liar.......a smoking liar. Yeah, I'll take a break off the posting while smoking.....Hate being a liar
Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

Don't put yourself down.
You're HUMAN!

What did you learn?
Why did you pick up that sickarette?
What was happening at the time? What was the trigger? What were the thoughts going through your head? How about the feelings you had, as a result of those thoughts?
And, most importantly,
What could you have done differently?

It is very difficult to quit when someone is smoking in the house with you. But, it can be done. You and only you are responsible for your behaviors.

Each time we slip, we learn a bit more about ourselves. That knowledge will aide us in our eventual successful quit. Remember, you are never a failure until you stop trying.

Shalom!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

historyteach, you are so sweet.....I am just mad at myself....I know what to do and when the "slippery" situation comes up....I straight give in to the disease instead of using the tools that I know work.
Well you are right about learning more about oneself....I learned that my reluctance to ask my husband not to smoke around me is a reservation....
Thanks for the encouragement......I will keep trying.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As long as you keep trying! I know that I was on that merry-go-round for YEARS of smoking wanting to quit trying to quit , giving in after a day or two or three....I lived that way for the last 2-3 years of my smoking career. It was horrible!

Just keep trying, that is the main thing~! I have no doubt that you will be sucessful!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How do you find those videos?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile 3 pm-4 pm Jumble

Yonanjan, why is 3pm or 4pm hard for you? Is there a particular situation that happens at that time or something? such as driving? or getting home? How do you feel at that time? Tired? Hungry? Angry? Lonely?

Jumbling up the general routine for a few weeks helped me. For example, to break the morning routine, first thing when I woke up, I would put on toothwhitening strips. In the car, I removed the ashtray, put up post-it notes that read "I am a nonsmoker" etc, and made sure there were sugarfree gum/candies, minty chapsticks & toothpicks, and my favorite scented hand lotion available in the compartment. Anyway, try it. Just jumble things around a little bit out of your ordinary daily routine. Take a short power nap or just rest your mind at 3-4 pm or do something that you find rewarding.

I'm cheerin' for ya to succeed! Congratulations for quitting!

cess101

PS Whoops-just noticed that you already said the situation which triggered you to smoke. Sorry. Also, I used to flop like that too during the early days of quitting -I called it doing the Hokey-Pokey Dance (ever hear of it?)- but really, every time you resist the craving, confidence grows. Don't worry yourself silly over a slip. Hang in there and slowly you will win. You know what's best for you.

PSS So now if you hear me say Hokey-Pokey, you'll all know what I'm talking about (in one day, out the next......)

Last edited by cess101; 03-14-2009 at 01:04 PM.