Notices

OT..I need some help

Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

OT..I need some help

Ok..I feel really stupid. I need some advice or guidance on how to go about online schooling.

I have been thinking about doing this for awhile. But I only finished 9th grade. Quit in the middle of 10th. Did get my GED a yr later. But I never made it to the college prep years to know where to even begin with this.

I know where I would take the online classes from. I have called today and requested information. But she was very vague on anyhting I asked.
How would I find out what gramts I could get. How to go about financial aid and just any and everything. I am nervous and feel like I am going to fail already becasue this should be common sense.

I am not stupid once I know what to do. I just dont know how or where to begin.

I did fairly well when I was in school.

Then I wonder if I am ready to commit like that. Especially when I cant even stay clean for very long. But what if this is what I need to boost my self worth some? Feel like I ma actually improving myself in some way. I dont want to be cleaning hotel rooms or working in gas stations the rest of my life. I feel so dumb right now.

OMG..I am a wreck now...Maybe it isnt a good idea.

Someone give me some feedback please.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Trish, that stuff isn't really common sense that anyone would just know.. silly.

Here, this is the Pell Grant site Financial Aid Resource Publications from the U.S. Department of Education

Might get you started. The Federal Pell grant is huge and for pretty much anyone/everyone.

Also maybe try collegescholarships.org it's a non profit organization that helps people find ways to pay for school.

Keep us posted!!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Chiynita,
I work in a University system and financial aid is confusing to everyone the first time around (or tenth )
The first step is to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) That one form will be used for all government and institutional grants and you can list several schools you are considering. The 2009-10 school year will be available January 1st, the current one (2008-09) is available now. Both are online and are free. Never pay to file for financial aid.
Be careful when choosing an online school. Choose only those offering government grants and loans, and best if they have a brick and mortar school along with the online option. Online schools can be very pricey, especially "for profit" ones...is there a community college near you? They not only offer VERY reasonable tuition, they offer developmental courses to bring you up to speed and academic help if you begin to struggle.

Good luck...and remember that the schools are their to teach you if you're willing. No one knows it all going in
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you have a community college near you? That would be where I would start. Online classes are pricier.

I would start with a class that you might enjoy but can still earn credits for.

Just like your new life, take it one step at a time.

You can do this. I love taking classes. Basic Math, Poetry, Art History etc.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi Chiy!
I went to a few years of college before drugs became more important. I decided to go back about a year and a half ago.
I also did not know where to start. Because of full time work, family, kids, etc., I had to go online but I did not want to get ripped off.
After a lot of research I chose a college called Western Governors University. I chose this college for a couple reasons.
#1 It has SOLID accredidation staus and has for MANY years. This is very important because if you choose a scholl that loses its accredidation, your diploma will be worth nothing.
#2 It is a non profit university. Some of the online schools are for profit and are CRAZY expensive.
#3 It is competency based. What this means is that you go at your own pace. I could take as few or as many courses as I wanted. In fact, I have a lot of real world experience and I was able to test out of quite a few classes. This saved me time and money.
#4 It is $2500 every six months, no matter how many credits you take. One semester I was able to complete 35 credits! (By the way, all is paid for with student loans because I did not qualify for grants).
#5 The majority of it is online but occassinally I will have to go to a local school to take tests online in front of a proctor.
#6 You are assigned a mentor that works with me on a weekly basis to help me with any questions, adjust my schedule as needed, etc.

I was SO terrified to go back but it was the best decision I ever made (next to getting sober)! PM me if you need a pep talk or have any questions.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

It is a community college near by. Hudson Valley to be exact.
I dont trust those ones you see on tv and advertised and things like that.
I have taken the entrance exam a few times way back at a couple different CCs. But I never returned.
This is really nerve racking.
Thanks for all the resources everyone. I am still in the thinking about it stages. I have to make sure I am ready to commit. And stable enough to not get sidetracked I guess. I might be in the thinking stage forever at my rate.
But I am tired of doing nothing with myself. I try and I work hard. But for what? To keep changing jobs every few months? I am really getting tired of that.
I was always into art in school. Had alot of my stuff in fairs.
HVCC doesnt offer anything like that except crafts. Thats NOT something I would do. But Albany has alot of schools in and around it. So I will check more into others.
Thanks again. This is really intimidating. And I dont get intimidated easily. LOL
Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((Trish))

When I was checking into one online school, they walked me through the FAFSA that cece mentioned. The only thing I needed was my tax forms for the last 2 years for income. I got really scared of thinking about getting out of school and owing a ton of money, so picked the same school my niece is doing her home-schooling through. It's accredited and I only pay $42/month.

Don't feel bad....I've been thinking about this way over a year, before I actually did anything about it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Chiy, I'm about to go back to school too. I'd gone to a year and a half of college before I had to drop out, but I'd completely forgotten how everything worked. I'm assuming the steps for online courses are similar to the steps for a bricks-and-mortar school. What I did was (1) send the school every test score and transcript I'd ever gotten (so your GED, any placement tests you took, stuff like that), (2) take the placement test required by the school, and... well, that was pretty much it. It's a daunting prospect, but actually pretty simple to get through in my experience. (And one other thing I've learned: I'm taking it slow! Last time I bogged myself down with too-hard classes.)

Oh, and because I'm starting in the spring I can't get any financial aid... But for the next full year I'll be filling out the FAFSA. As I remember, it's a pain but fairly straightforward.

Re: your hesitation to commit... I know every situation is different, but for me going back to school is the absolute best thing I can do for my sobriety. Limited free time, a consistent daily schedule, stuff that I have to do whether I want to or not, plus the huge confidence boost of knowing I'm on track again... I'm scared sh*tless to go back, but I know it'll be good for me.

Best of luck!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Chiynita,
I've got no advice on aid or admissions but would like to say that going back to school, online or otherwise, is the best thing you can do - other than stay clean and sober.

Your posts reveal you to be an intelligent, reflective, creative, and knowledge seeking person - all the attributes of a scholar!!

Get thee to the university!!

Good luck.

Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, this is really helpful advice everybody!

Trish, going back to school would be a great thing to do for youself.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Trish. In the past I did some research on online colleges and one important thing, like others here have said, is to make sure that the college is accredited by some reputable national organization. This goes for community colleges as well as online colleges. Also, sometimes the college might be accredited but the specific program that you are interested in might not be accredited. It is a good idea to know what degree you want and what it is going to be in (like Art) before you choose a school.

One thing to watch out for are "diploma mills" which are non accredited online schools that basically just hand out diplomas that are worthless in the job market.

Do as much reading about your school as you can. If you have an idea about where you want to work once you get the diploma, or the type of place you want to work, call them up and ask if they would accept a degree from the school you are interested in.

There are government loans that you can get that are interest free and you dont start paying until after you graduate. You can get these loans by filling out the FAFSA paperwork I think.