Notices

One is too many at the Subway...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One is too many at the Subway...

A second night of not sleeping; I read the Ambien thread until after 2am...didn't do any good, guys, I'm still wide awake . I've ingested some carbs (because I forgot to eat dinner earlier) and three Advil as well. So, until I start feeling drowsy, I'd like to share a little story (in this Forum because I am still new to this recovery stuff).

Last week, I took my son to Subway to get dinner. Near the register, they had these delicious-looking cookies. My teenager pointed them out.

"Yes, they look tempting," I admitted. "But be careful because one is too many and a thousand never enough." I smiled at him. My son has no idea that I've been "hearing" this a lot (at NA meetings, on SR, in NA and AA literature). Anyway, my son looked at me as if I had two heads.

"That doesn't make any sense," he argued and then went on to explain how the statement makes absolutely no sense to him.

I hope with all my heart that he will never personally understand the statement. When I first heard it (only recently), it was in relation to substance abuse. Now that I reflect back, I see that I never argued the premise. I never had a need to -- because to me it made perfect sense.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome!

Those cookies are really good though.

It gets better, it really does.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have heard it. It is words to my ears. Anytime I thought I should drink..that thought helped so much.