Notices

New here...

Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I just want to start off by saying that I am not the one with an addiction. It is my boyfriend of 3 years. I didn't even know he had a drug problem until late 2006, when he confided in me that what I though was just his "habit" was actually an addiction. Naively, I thought that we could fight it on our own. Sure, he would stumble every now and then, but I thought we were making progress.

This past July we found out that we were pregnant. Then less than a month later, he was arrested for a probation violation. He spent 6 weeks in county jail and then was sentenced to court-ordered rehab, where he's been since mid-September.

While he has been gone I have been finding things and hearing things about how his problem has been worse than it had ever been. For example, after doing some laundry the week after he was arrested, I found a credit card, a cellophane bag, and a cut off piece of straw in the washer. Also, last night his best friend confided in me that he saw him take enough pills in one sitting that could easily kill him (the friend - who is quite a bit smaller than my boyfriend).

He's finally coming home next month, and I'm sooo happy to finally have him home, but at the same time I'm scared out of my mind that he's gonna relapse and be sent to prison (and leave me with a newborn and my older son, which he has been helping me raise since he was 3 years old (he's now almost 7)).

He has good intentions and I know in his heart he really wants this, but I'm terrified of this addiction. He says the past 5 months that he has gone without anything more than a cigarette and a black coffee is the longest he's gone since he has been 14 years old.

I'm just looking for support and some ways to help him through this journey. I am completely dumb when it comes to this type of thing (he successfully hid the fact that he was doing drugs from me for almost 2 years). I am too trusting, and with a baby on the way, I know the stress factor is going to be higher. He says our expanding family is reason enough to finally beat this thing, and I believe that he honestly WANTS to, but I'm still so scared of his addiction taking over again.

Wow, this is a long one. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My drug of choice was alcohol so I don't know much about addiction to other drugs. I would also suggest you visit the Friends and Family forum and/or the Substance Abusers forum for more knowledge than I can give. I'm glad you found us! This is a great place for support and good advice. Keep coming back!:ghug3