Notices

Cravings - how do you deal with them?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Cravings - how do you deal with them?

How do you cope when cravings hit?

I've just had them all day, absolutely no reason whatsoever. I mean, nothings gone wrong or anything.

I find them so exhausting. Like life's not hard enough already without fighting this thing. It's not even a voice in my head, it's a yearning deep inside me, round my solar plexus, to be precise.

Is there anything I can do apart from white knuckling it?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have any words of wisdom LB I just wanted to let you know that I am with you. Maybe some day we'll find a "miracle" to get us to stop wanting these damn things. You are doing awesome don't give up on yourself! One day at a time!!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Prayer and meditation. Ask that the obsession be lifted, quiet the mind. That worked well for me. I was also taught to focus on gratitude. My sponsor reminded me, "A grateful heart will not use."

Sorry to hear it's a rough day. Hey--you got a very important job this week. That's something to be grateful for!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just ignore them or fill the hole with cigarettes.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Yeah, ((Sugah)), can't be messing with all that boiling water under the influence, can I now? Might forget the biscuits! I tried praying - sometimes I feel God is out doing stuff - I'll try again!

((Anvil,)) You know, I have been so itchy this last week. The sort of itchiness you usually get using codeine, but I'm not doing anything. It is driving me mental. Scritchy cloth - sounds just the business. I feel like a dog with fleas!!!

((Vinter)) - I don't smoke anymore but I sure as hell wish I did!! And I'm ignoring them like I can ignore a toddler throwing a tantrum, lol!!

((Madriley)) - I don't feel right now that I'm ever going to stop wanting them. I wish my cravings would go away, just give me some peace. Days like these, I just wonder why I even think I will ever get away from these things. (you're doing brilliant by the way. sleeping yet? that would help wouldn't it. I didn't sleep last night)
Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
I tried praying - sometimes I feel God is out doing stuff - I'll try again!
That reminded me of being laid up three months clean (I'm sure you've heard me tell the broken leg story), and a wonderful, wonderful woman from my home group made sure I had a get well card in the mail at least every other day. On the front of one it said: "Ever get the feeling...." and on the inside, there was an angel with a cigarette: "...your guardian angel stepped out for a smoke?"

That woman saved my sanity!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
Yeah, ((Sugah)), can't be messing with all that boiling water under the influence, can I now? Might forget the biscuits! I tried praying - sometimes I feel God is out doing stuff - I'll try again!

((Anvil,)) You know, I have been so itchy this last week. The sort of itchiness you usually get using codeine, but I'm not doing anything. It is driving me mental. Scritchy cloth - sounds just the business. I feel like a dog with fleas!!!

((Vinter)) - I don't smoke anymore but I sure as hell wish I did!! And I'm ignoring them like I can ignore a toddler throwing a tantrum, lol!!

((Madriley)) - I don't feel right now that I'm ever going to stop wanting them. I wish my cravings would go away, just give me some peace. Days like these, I just wonder why I even think I will ever get away from these things. (you're doing brilliant by the way. sleeping yet? that would help wouldn't it. I didn't sleep last night)
Hey Lost! I ended up getting some Celestial Seasonings "Sleepy Time" tea at Walmart, I make two cups about an hour before bed, add honey (and a little milk!) and I have actually slept awesome the last 3 nights. I have tried all of the sleep aids out there and for some reason they have no affect on me but this tea is like magic!!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One more thing, I just wanted to let you know not to be so hard on yourself.. For the last 4 days or so, I do not want to do anything, at all. I talk to myself in my head and say, okay take the kids outside, so I take them outside and not even 5 minutes later I am looking for an excuse to bring them back in. I just don't want to do anything, I can't stand it. I hope this goes away soon because it is trying to weaken my resolve. The only thing that has kept me grounded so far is coming on here and checking out what everyone else has to say! We're in this together, and we will make it, eventually!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Try, try, try again!

When my cravings hit, I immediately wish I hadnt stopped smoking around the same time I got clean. Doesnt a sane person need at least one vice?!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh boy, Luv I was just talking about that in the chat room! I quit smoking 2 months ago, I don't crave it really, but I think, wow, I need SOMETHING!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Try, try, try again!

Exactly!! Just gimme something lol!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I immediately acknowledge how real it is and the first thing I do is make conscious contact with my higher power. The second thing I do is tell another recovering addict I'm have the craving. The sooner I tell, the sooner it goes away. I keep telling until it passes. It always passes.

If Im not in a position to have a phone conversation, I send out text messages. Just anything to admit the reality that I'm having a craving.

I have enough contacts built into the foundation of my recovery. I don't have difficulty reaching other recovering addicts.
I was encouraged to do this by my mentors in the NA fellowship.
There has not been one time that I had a craving and it didn't pass.

Expose it...this disease (addiction) dies in the light of exposure.

Tell on it!

Peace,
Missy
Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I gave up smoking years ago, but have remained a "social" smoker, lol!! And when I went clubbing I could go thru 2 packs in a night quite easily.

But I want to SMOKE now!!!!! I haven't truly craved nicotine for years. Everyone at work smokes and I can smell it on them when they come inside after their breaks.

Still craving, still p*ssed off with this sobriety lark. There is something about getting into double figures that's seems to put a funk on me. Got to give myself longer to get used to it, I know, but it is hard, hard.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madriley View Post
Oh boy, Luv I was just talking about that in the chat room! I quit smoking 2 months ago, I don't crave it really, but I think, wow, I need SOMETHING!!!!
Dark chocolate. I put the bars in the freezer and break off a small piece. It is a wonderful wonderful treat.

Tootisie Roll pops and all the little games online. I like some of the typing ones, and a few that have shapes that fit together. I also post on a parenting board and we get some good debates going and swear up a storm. We talk about our pet peeves and all kinds of stuff.

I'm going to go see if I can calm my youngest girls cough.