Notices

What a wimp...

Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a wimp...

Made it 23 hours and change - took the first half - feel a little less disoriented but still have chills and general discomfort. Guess this is going to take a little longer than I thought...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep going you will make it.....

I am really interested in how you feel during all of this. Like when you start to feel kinda normal again. I dont really know your story or what your doc is but it would be helpful for me.

Take care. You can do it...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I think the first 24 hours on subs are a bit rough, and then it gets better. Good on you for taking the plunge. Someone with way more knowledge will help you soon.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Spica you are doing awesome!!! Hopefully by tomorrow your body will make a turn around with the subs and you will feel nothing, but if you do still feel a little crappy do not give up!!! You have already made the climb half way up the hill keep going!! Make sure you let us know how you are feeling later!! I am praying for you, I know that you can do it. And... you are not a wimp!!! Deciding to stay on the drugs is always easier than choosing to change... Remember that!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Spica,
My prayers are with you
Old 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Spica having the power to say you have a problem and doing something about it is being a hero to yourself in my eyes. Just wanted to tell you that.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi

Thanks for all the well wishes. Still in considerable discomfort but knowing that y'all have been able to make it to the other side gives me hope that this too shall pass. Don't know if I am just one of the people that bupe doesn't help or if I am just gentically predisposed to holding the oxy in my system longer. Time will tell.

Does anyone know if I can take advil whilst on the bupe (which I started about 22 hours ago) to help with aches and pains?

The worst of the shaking and chills seems to have passed - just very sore and tired.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Try, try, try again!

Yeah you can take advil. For me it didnt work....I would just have to wait it out. Suboxone only made me feel INSTANTLY better once, and that was when I had been in withdrawal for a few days. The other times I was on it, it took me a day or two on the subs before I felt normal.

It will get better
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good for you spica

advil is no problem, go for it.

it could be taking awhile partly because your oxy dose was so high before. remember drugs dissipate on a 'half-life' kinda basis, and when you're trying to get off a really big dose, it can take a bunch of those 'half-lifes' going by before the amount left in your system gets low enough to stop interfering with the bupe's working.

you're almost there ... the longest i've ever heard of is 72hours after the last oxy for someone to be feeling totally well. 24-48 is more the average, though, so ... sometime soon, for sure!

hang tough

the only people bupe 'doesn't help' are people who are allergic (like cc) and thus have to stop taking it. it's basically impossible for it to just 'not work for you'. the chemistry involved is just too basic for that to be the case. also, I should say, it's super hard to switch over if one has had any methadone recently, so I guess that scenario is one where bupe 'doesn't help', but in this case, it's not 'the person', it's 'the drugs they've been taking'.

you know to hold the pill/saliva mixture in your mouth for at least 20 minutes, right? also, the more 'swirling' you do after it's dissolved, the better, as your whole mouth as actually capable of absorbing the bupe. and coming off of the level you were on, if it were me, once the full 48 hours off of dope has gone by, i'd start doing whole 8mg's tablets at a time ...
Old 11-23-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One minute at a time....
Old 11-23-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

? for BV

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
and coming off of the level you were on, if it were me, once the full 48 hours off of dope has gone by, i'd start doing whole 8mg's tablets at a time ...
The doc stated cutting the tablets in two - so 16mg over a four dose period a day - are you suggesting that I do 8mg twice a day instead of 4mg every four hours (give or take).

At this point I just want the discomfort to stop.

sigh....

Glad I didn't know all of this going in - sometimes not knowing is better.

Thanks for the ongoing help and support... I could not have done this without y'all!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nah, do what your doc says ... 2x8 or 4x4, not gonna make much diff at all, anyways ... i promise you you're gonna feel tons better tomorrow, if you don't already by now

btw, if you were 48 hours out on a straight cold-turkey detox off of a 300mg/day oxy habit, you wouldn't even be able to sit up at the computer right now, let alone sit and type coherent sentences.

no, more likely, you'd be curled up in a fetal position, squishing around in the puddle of vile liquids that used to be inside your digestive tract, and crying like baby for someone to please just come and shoot you ... to make it stop ...

just to kinda, ya know, put your apparent sense of misery into proper perspective

not that i'm trying to scare anyone, but trust me ... c/t off of 300mg/day of oxy's is VERY acutely brutal at about 48 hours out ...
Old 11-23-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spica View Post
Made it 23 hours and change - took the first half - feel a little less disoriented but still have chills and general discomfort. Guess this is going to take a little longer than I thought...
You are not a wimp!!!! Congrats on getting started! How are things going? I haven't read through the rest of these posts so you might've elaborated more already, but I just wanted to check on you!!

Edit--just read through the other posts. Sounds like you're having a little difficulty of a time, but that can happen and can be expected. The best case scenario, as many people ahve posted, is that you take the pill and within a short period of time the symptoms resolve. Sounds like you are going to be a little bit harder of a case, but do not give up-it will get better. As BV said, 72 hours tops! I would think by tomorrow, though, you iwll be doing much better. If not, I would recommend increaesing a a little bit--you're on 16mg now, maybeincreaseing to 20mg or 24mg may make a difference. My use was comparable and I was started at 24mg. You may not be filling so great right now, but how are any cravings? Are those being taken care of? Hang in there--it WILL get better!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Morning all

Feeling better. Didn't sleep last nite - so groggy - but the worst seems to have passed. Thanks for the perpective there - that was scary - but good to hear.

Did any of y'all ever attempt a cold turkey at that point ~300mg+?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh and yeah

no cravings, just fatigue and slight depression which I understand are pretty normal...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Yes. Many times, although the last time was really the only time I saw it through. My habit at it's peak was up > 600mg of oxycontin a day, not counting the "break through" vicadin, valium, soma, etc. That was just the pills -- I used booze, cocaine & pot during that time, too. It was rough ("acute" withdrawal about ten days), and at times, I didn't think I'd get through, but I did.

You will, too, if you want it more than anything else.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Feeling better. Didn't sleep last nite - so groggy - but the worst seems to have passed. Thanks for the perpective there - that was scary - but good to hear.

Me? Like, on purpose? Aw, haaayy-ell no!

But I've damn sure 'run out', and have seen others have the same 'misfortune', enough times to know what it's like.

Glad you're feeling better today. The depression will pass shortly, too. You end up feeling pretty dang good on that stuff is the truth. I felt very 'stable', mood-wise, on bupe. Then again, I'm kinda the same way now that I'm off of it, too, so ... maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

damn

My hat is off to you both!!

I was in partial fetal position for most of sat (told you I AM a wimp) but am feeling sooo much better today. I think once I get a good nights sleep and some real food in my tummy that life will begin to feel less hazy and unsure.

I was very lucky to have run into this board and onto this thread - I had no clue that there was anything like this - to be thrown a life line like this was not something I was expecting. One of life's little surprises.

Thanks again all!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, I went through it a few times, though not on my own will, just ran out of money and other drugs to compensate. I never made it more than 3 or 4 days though. For some reason I was never strong enough to make it off the Oxy by myself. This the first time I have succeeded cold turkey in anything. You are doing so great Spica, the first few days are the worst and you've already got them under your belt so keep your head up! Before you know it you'll wonder what the big deal was about!!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Madriley.

I feel normal, emotional, but...well...normal. Figure I'm just going to hold on tight and try to relax as the feelings wash over me.

Actually went out to visit a dear friend and her family and friends at PF Changs for dinner tonite. She was one of the few that knew something was wrong for a very long time when I took myself out of circulation over a year ago. The hugs were amazing. I guess it is finally safe to say that the bupes have taken full hold now.

Looks like I will be taking baby steps at this time - I find myself tearing up at the slightest thing still - I guess it is time for the emotions to start coming back - just need to work through the ebbing and flowing, and yes, sometimes crashing. So it goes...