Notices

Starting suboxone Monday

Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Starting suboxone Monday

Glad to be here & just wanted to say hello.

After several failed attempts to go cold turkey & once (on my own) a couple years ago taking suboxone, I finally made an appointment with a suboxone doctor for Monday.

I'm at that point where I hate hydrocodone. I hate the way it makes me feel and I'm sick of just having to take it to avoid withdrawal feelings. I take anywhere from 5-7 pills a day, the 10/325 strength. I've never been able to take them as prescribed because I use them for other reasons, always running out, going through withdrawals, swearing I can control them when I get the next refill, etc.

When I used suboxone a couple years ago, it worked very well but I used it short term for about 2 weeks. It just wasn't long enough for me personally.

I've got physical pain in my back from surgeries, but I am going to take OTC and whatever the suboxone doctor suggests for it.

I've been trying to find an NA meeting in my area but I am in a podunk town - the nearest is 1 1/2 hours away from me. I wonder why we don't have any closer - it's kind of strange. I'm going to keep looking. Do any of you have a hard time finding meetings??

Anyway, I've just been reading a lot of the stories the last few days....I'm moved by the strength & compassion shown toward each other here. Hope to talk with you all soon.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard that suboxone on it's own is a good painkiller. Congratulations on taking a step to get clean.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i just started my suboxone yesterday. today is my second day of being sober. i'm a lot like you in the sense of why i was taking the lortabs, and the amount i was taking. i kept taking them to keep the withdrawals at bay. and i got sick and tired of having to take them just to function normally. i wasn't even getting high anymore.

i tried to quit cold turkey, and i just couldn't handle it. and i also told myself that i could control it. but, i can't.

the suboxone will do wonders for you. it's only my second day and i feel great all around.

and i think its cool that i found someone like me on this site! keep in touch, and maybe we'll be able to help each other out.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jack,
Congrats on deciding to take the steps needed to quit! As far as recovery groups (NA), have you talked to your sub doctor to see if he has any sub meetings? I'm not a huge fan of NA, but my sub doc has a suboxone support group--I haven't gone to it yet but wuld like to in the future. It's worth asking. If they don't have one, ask if they know of any other types of groups in the area. Also, remember you can go to AA meetings if you'd like and they are easier to find. Good luck and congratulations!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Well done on making the decision. I'll think of you Monday.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats Jack!!!

I am getting ready to pop my first bupe in a couple of hours and will post updates. I think you will be amazed at how many of us share similar elements here. Welcome to SR and good luck with everything!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

There are a lot of good suboxone posts here. I hope your experience is positive. Best Wisishes.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jack! You made a very smart choice coming onto SR!! There is so much support here it is unbelievable!! Also, going on the Subs is a very good choice. I had been on them before and "used" it, I wasn't ready to quit my Oxy's and the program didn't work for me because I took it for granted. If I had stuck to it then, I would've been clean for the last 4 years instead of the last 16 days. I also live next to nowhere and the closest NA meeting for me is about an hour away. I am also not too sure how I will be around others in person talking about my problems, but believe it or not this site has kind of served as meetings for me. Good luck Monday, let us know how you are doing!!! You are taking the first step into your recovery, be proud of yourself!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everybody for all the replies - it means a lot to me!!

Tomorrow is my 1st appointment and honestly it can't come soon enough. I will definitely ask the doctor about meetings. He is about 2 hours from me, but maybe there will be meetings on the same days as my appointments with him.

ShellySprinkle, I hope we can stay in touch, too. Spica, good luck today!!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello everyone-
This is my first post on this website! i have been sober for about 6 months, but on suboxone for about 11 months. I am actually in the process of detoxing off of it right now. It was a GREAT tool for me to be able to get enough breathing space in order to take further action to stay sober. If it wasn't for suboxone, i wouldn't have been able to go a single day without shooting up dope. Going off it is proving more difficult than originally anticipated, but hey, this isn't for the weak, right? Anyways, good luck...remember, though, it takes more than suboxone to stay sober...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dooder View Post
Hello everyone-
This is my first post on this website! i have been sober for about 6 months, but on suboxone for about 11 months. I am actually in the process of detoxing off of it right now. It was a GREAT tool for me to be able to get enough breathing space in order to take further action to stay sober. If it wasn't for suboxone, i wouldn't have been able to go a single day without shooting up dope. Going off it is proving more difficult than originally anticipated, but hey, this isn't for the weak, right? Anyways, good luck...remember, though, it takes more than suboxone to stay sober...
Congrats to you Dooder!!! Another success story. You are absolutely right, it is not for the weak at all but the Suboxone does it make so much more possible for us to have a complete recovery from our addictions. But it is something that we will always have to work on! I am glad to hear that you are doing well!!!! Keep visiting us!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jack--I wanted to see how you were doing today-did you start the subs? How're you feeling? Please post when you can and let us know how things are!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi sunflower! I made it to the "other side" today. I feel great

I really like my doctor - he took his time and I didn't feel rushed at all yesterday. I am starting at 4 mg ( 2 mg in the a.m. and 2 mg in the p.m.). Gosh, I feel really blessed today & have so much optimism. He said to plan on being in the suboxone program for 4-6months, and at some point, I need to also work on losing 30 pounds, too. Ha. I knew that already, though.

Off to work - thanks again everyone! Hope you're all doing well, too.
Jack
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Way to go Jack! I'm happy for ya! :praying
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you Jack! One thing at a time man, that's all we can do. You are doing awesome!!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
Just checking in - I'm feeling better every day.

I woke up this morning without one single thought of my former Norco habit - you know the old routine? I'd wake up in a panic, grab a pill and some water...then I'd lay there and worry about having enough pills for the day, before I had even climbed out of bed. What a crazy life I was living.

Can't tell you all how much your words & prayers have meant to me this week. I hope to have some extra time this weekend to offer my support to others here. I finally have a day off work tomorrow & am looking forward to it.

Have a great day everyone & I'll talk with you soon -
Jack
Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Wow, Jack, that must be an amazing feeling. Well done for taking the plunge with the suboxone.