Notices

My wife and I agreed

Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My wife and I agreed

Tonite, she will have one beer, and I one glass of wine, and then we quit for 7 days. I know that's not the whole shebang, but it's a start and a mutual goal. We'll see where it goes from there. We rec'd a phone call last night from my wife's sister in law. Her brother of 63 had a massive heart attack, and will require a risky quadruple bypass. He ran 5 miles a day, 5 days a week....picture of health, and had even had a stress test a month ago, from which they gave him a clean bill of health. Just another reminder that we are far from kids and need to focus more on a healthier lifestyle, and enjoy life without going through it pissed off at myself for not being able to quit.

David69's posts below have also given me some hope. I read them all and hope his victory continues.

I'll report back in a couple of days.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to see your BIL has serious health issues.
Prayers for healing going out for him
and comfort prayers for all who love him.

I know you have been struggleing with sobriety
and I am also praying you and your wife will suceed.

Keep in focus...keep posting...Yes! you can quit forever!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I didn't post until now because I'm not a fan of people planning 'just one more' before they quit.

But now that you have quit - congrats on that decision, and make it happen!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I expected some people frowning on my "just one more" way of getting started, and I quite understand how ridiculous it looks. That being said, I believe it helped both of us (I'm the alky, my wife just wants to lose weight and get healthier) not freak out by going cold turkey. So, last night we had our last drink (for at least a week...hopefully longer). Took me longer to get to sleep, and I awoke several times (which I usually do), but today feel well rested and mentally ready to keep going. Dave69....you da man!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amazing how much better we wake up the next morning when we didn't get drunk. If you can do a week you can do a life time. One day at a time is all we can do. Keep posting let us know how it is going.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Ozark....
Just came across your posting. Have to say that whatever works for you is all that matters. Whether you take the "just one more" approach or go cold....either way you are heading in the right direction. Congrats on your decision...and that goes for your wife as well.

Yes, the sleeping thing really does suck....but good thing is it gets a LOT better as the days go by. Keep coming back and posting...would like to hear how things progress for you. Thanks for the mention in your earlier posts by the way, cool to hear people are actually reading what gets posted here. Will talk at you later.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On day three, and no problems for me. Feel well and more alert. My wife's brother had open heart surgery yesterday, and it was supposed to be complete by noon. By 6pm we had still heard nothing and my wife was a wreck. She said she was going to have a beer to relax her. I thought, briefly, that this was a good excuse for me to have a glass of wine too. However, it was only a brief thought, and I didn't act on it. We finally got the call at 8 that everything was fine.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Very happy for both of you!

Keep us posted!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

When I was drinking, I used to toss and turn all night and kinda wake up in the middle of the night constantly. Now, I wake up every morning and I cannot remember waking up in the night not once, or tossing and turning at all. I'm sleeping through the night, very deeply. It's awesome.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very glad all is okay, and very happy that you stayed strong over it. I always used any stress as an excuse to drink only to feel worse. Staying sober and coping with life and all the crap with it seems to be easier to handle, I have brief moments of wanting to get my bottle, but I force myself to disregard it...Keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

On to day 4. Last night was troublesome. Actually wanted a drink, but knew I wasn't going to. Just felt funny all day. However, slept quite well, and feel pretty good so far today.

Thanks for the support so far.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome that you stuck it out. Gets easier as days go by....does not go away but it does get easier. Congrats on passing day 4!! Keep it up and pretty soon you'll be on day 40!!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Congratulations on another day!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hell of a hard time getting to sleep last night. Anyone use any safe (ie non habit forming) sleeping pills? It's amazing how several glasses of wine assist in getting to sleeo immediately.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Work through the tough time, maybe don't look for 'shortcuts', endure.

Congrats on your progress.

Keep coming back.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Alcohol may get you to sleep but you do not get the "real" sleep your body needs. Any sleep aid is habit forming even if they say they are not. Practice going to bed at a certain time and getting up at a certain time every day. Get your internal clock going. Go for a long walk or read a book till you get tired. Relax for ten minutes with just silent before you go to bed.
Quit looking to replace one drug with another. That will be your enemy.
You are doing great.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am still having trouble sleeping "normally". I used melatonin for a few days to help. It's a natural remedy but honestly after a few days I think I became immune to it, so I stopped taking it. I then started waking up an hour earlier in the morning. That really helps with the falling asleep part. I also have been trying to go to bed at the same time every night. Unfortunately I don't have any secrets for staying asleep (thats what I am struggling with now). When I find one I will let you know....Sweet Dreams to all
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The one thing I used during my initial phase was Melatonin (harmless...can buy in the health section of any market)....and once in awhile I would use Tylenol PM. All worked great for sleep. Take either about 20-30mins before you want to crash. Good luck and good work!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Ozark!

Have you tried tea? I prefer iced tea over hot tea so I make a pitcher of chamomile tea (sweetened) and keep it in the fridge. At night I drink a couple glasses of tea while watching tv or on the computer, and sleep great.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Get a book on anatomy, I guarantee that the section on the eye will put you to sleep within minutes