Therapist

Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Therapist

Got off the phone with my XAGF and she is to come over and get the rest of her things. Then she tells me she has a therapy appointment at 1pm. Then goes on to tell me her therapist says I am the worst thing for her.

I wonder how many of these therapist, counselors, wind up being the next enabler, or crutch?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcoholics tend to have a very sick way of distorting the truth. I am disappointed in myself for all of the lies that I told when using. If the counselor said that you are the worst thing for your X, then chances are your X fed them a nice story to back up her own distorted view of reality.

My earlier counselors never enabled me, and they never helped me because I was not honest with them. I tried individual counseling because I thought that they would back me up that I was not alcoholic. I also tried alcohol treatment for a couple of weeks and neither seemed to "cure" me, so obviously it was their fault and not mine. What I did not consider was that I was not ready to be healed yet and was not ready to give myself to a program of recovery. It was only after I committed to sobriety that I was able to be honest with those trying to help me. That made a world of difference.

Until she is ready to stop drinking you will keep hearing things like it is your fault. From the sounds of it, you know that is not true.

I hope that provides some insight into a sick mind, thanks for sharing and keep posting - your recovery is what counts the most!!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmpHusky View Post
Got off the phone with my XAGF and she is to come over and get the rest of her things. Then she tells me she has a therapy appointment at 1pm. Then goes on to tell me her therapist says I am the worst thing for her.

I wonder how many of these therapist, counselors, wind up being the next enabler, or crutch?
Unless you hear it from the therapist yourself, take it with a boulder of salt.

xAH would come home from his therapy appointments and tell me it would get PO'd because the therapist could never remember my name. Our doctor had me call her one day and I said my name and asked, do you know who I am? She said, of course, you're _________'s wife. LOL!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is what you make of it

HA! yea, they do seem to distort the truth to make it always about how baaaddd YOU are or make them. My AH said that when he wasn't living at home he went to the drug store to check his BP and he told his sister that it was perfect. It wasn't the drinking that causes his BP to sky rocket it was ME cuz of all the Bi&%$ I do!!! LOL - Yea, funny how the truth is always crooked coming out of the A's mouth.

Don't believe 1/2 of what they tell you cuz it (like everyone on here says) is nothing but QUACKING!!! My AH started a fight the other night and I looked at him and said out loud quack, quack, quack, so instead of me fighting back I chuckled at myself for quacking and walked away!!!
Good luck Amphusky dont believe her talk when she comes over.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Of course you are. That's why they are paid by her and not you. lmbo Take it with a grain of salt.

I had a therapist one time act like she understood what I was going through and when I asked her if she had children she said "no but I have dogs".............. Sometimes therapists are way over rated.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Any chance you're getting the version your GF wants you to hear and that may not have anything to do with what her therapist actually said?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sure that was always on my mine. She is my XAGF now. Just sounded like another copy out. It like dealing with a child. When you get on a child for doing something. The miss direction on their part.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a therapist one time act like she understood what I was going through and when I asked her if she had children she said "no but I have dogs".............. Sometimes therapists are way over rated.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

I do have to say in defense of my therapist...that she is a great source of sanity for me...but I do know what you mean!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The response "It's just as well we're over then" seems appropriate :-) Most therapists never state things like this, they are supposed to let those in therapy make their own decisions so the guess is it's more quacking, self justification and manipulation