Notices

Suggestions welcome;back to square 1 again

Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suggestions welcome;back to square 1 again

Instead of going straight home last night I ran to the store and on the way back I stopped at the pub and honestly I can only vaguely remember my rationale for it. Is that what they call "the curious mental twist"? I remember thinking that my medication isn't supposed to be effective for another 5 days, so what would the harm be in a couple while I'm waiting for it to start working. Believe me, the idea made excellent sense last night, so I proceeded to tie a healthy one on and spend money I can't afford to spend. So here I sit, feeling like I have a screwdriver stabbing me in the temple and feeling all shakey. The stupidity of it is more than a little frustrating. Not that I'm beating myself up for it; I did what comes natural to an alcoholic, it just irks me a bit that I did. Not much else I can do except do it different today. Do you guys and gals have some recommendations from what you did to get through those first few days? I'm having a really hard time of it.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I went thru the first three days of withdrawal so many times it's not funny. Why I would torture myself by drinking when I knew I'd have to go thru withdrawals is beyond my understanding. As far as getting thru those first few days of hell, I drank chamomile tea with valerian for relaxing my frayed nerves. I drank lots of water and juice and took vitamins, especially B vitamins.

I had to grit my teeth to get thru those first few horrible days cause I knew I'd feel better after the first three days. You will too. If you're in too much misery I'd suggest going to your doctor or the Emergency Room at your nearest hospital. Just remember, if you don't pick up again you'll never have to go thru withdrawals again!

:ghug3
Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

right there too

I'm there with you, it made sense last night; I know I can't drink on Thursday or Saturday as I won't be home, so if I drink tonight maybe I can make it to a meeting on Wednesday and Friday and I can get 4 days in a row, sick thinking gets me everytime; I wasn't trying one day at a time, too much future thinking, gotta learn how to stop that; my thoughts/prayers are with you; may today be a sober one for both of us;
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Scoob...

My physical withdrawals were never too bad...but what made it hard for me to quit were the constant thoughts my brain would generate. I had to scare myself into quitting. I would sit at the computer for hours and read up on heart disease and whatnot. I would make myself look at pictures of cirrhotic livers. Also, I did a ton of self-reflection which led me to realize that if I ever want to be happy, I have to change.

Please be safe while detoxing.

Best of luck to you.

SR will be here.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone's comments so far!
My physical withdrawls aren't a big concern to me; I've kicked worse than booze before and although I've been drinking, I haven't been doing the squirrel cage thing where I drink every hour I'm awake. I generally just tie a healthy one on at night. As for the physical effects of drinking, I'm already suffering from several of those; I've gained 40 pounds in 3 months, my blood pressure is through the roof, and it appears to my doc that I'm suffering from alcoholic neuropathy in my hand. It's sad how much physical punishment I've gotten used to visiting on myself without a second thought. I'm sitting here typing on this message board and in the back of my mind all I can think is how much I would love to have a big glass of red beer.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Scoob...if it helps, know that I still want to drink at times, but when I do have that desire, I make myself do anything except drink. I cannot change the fact that I love to drink, but I can choose to do something else instead. It's not easy and it really sucks sometimes, that's for sure.

The next time you are craving, maybe you could fix yourself something to eat...you may be hungry. Or perhaps you could get some exercise... or read a book, play some video games, listen to music, call up an old friend and BS, draw something, play a practical joke on someone (that one's always fun ), watch a movie, build a piece of furniture, rearrange the furniture, you get the idea...Carol has a to do list around here somewhere...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I went thru the first three days of withdrawal so many times it's not funny. Why I would torture myself by drinking when I knew I'd have to go thru withdrawals is beyond my understanding. As far as getting thru those first few days of hell, I drank chamomile tea with valerian for relaxing my frayed nerves. I drank lots of water and juice and took vitamins, especially B vitamins.

I had to grit my teeth to get thru those first few horrible days cause I knew I'd feel better after the first three days. You will too. If you're in too much misery I'd suggest going to your doctor or the Emergency Room at your nearest hospital. Just remember, if you don't pick up again you'll never have to go thru withdrawals again!

:ghug3
I remember a couple of months ago when you were struggling, it's awesome to see that you are staying sober there least!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey There ----

"...Do you guys and gals have some recommendations from what you did to get through those first few days? I'm having a really hard time of it..."

I don't know if you're working any kind of program, or are planning on it, but even if not....one thing that is always good is hanging out with sober folks. I found myself less likely to drink when I was hanging out with folks who didn't drink.....at least for the time I was with them.....

Therefore, even if you don't want to work the AA program, or even if you don't want to even go to AA....at least there, there are a lot of folks who are not drinking. The only reason I'm using AA in this example is that they're usually easier to find than Rational Recovery or SMART Recovery, or any of the other secular recovery programs, and like I said; it's easier to not drink if one is hanging with others who are not drinking..... (o:

Of dourse, there are always church groups, of all kinds and denominations, but being an atheist in AA was hard enough, but if it had been necessary, I would have been willing to sit in a prayer group if it helped me through the first few days/nights of not drinking/using.....lol

I wish you well in your journey....just look about you; I'll bet you can find all kinds of folks who aren't drinking/using; just go hang with them for a while; it really does get easier, and............different..... (better, even.....lol)

NoelleR