Notices

just a ty

Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just a ty

Wanted to thank everyone for helping me through another day. Each and everytime I wanted a drink I have come here instead and read and read and read some more. I cant believe how much I think about alcohol do you ever stop thinking about it? Sweet dreams and god bless I am sure I will back tommorow.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

It's as they say, if you tell someone not to think of an elephant the first thing they'll think of is an elephant.

I'm allowing myself to think about alcohol, as much as it pops into my head. What I'm trying to change is how I react to those thoughts.

See you back tomorrow!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. Whatever you do, don't think about an elephant, especially a pink one wearing a tutu and a party hat which is also playing a saxophone. That would be silly, and we don't want that.

Cereally, I've been kind of dealing with similar things with my counselor (i.e., discussing them). What was it that triggered my cravings? What will I do when the triggers/cravings come again? How can I deal with them positively? I've come to realize that stress was a major factor as a trigger for me. Now, I try to deal with whatever is causing me stress asap so it isn't there any more. This has the added benefit of giving me a feeling of accomplishment. The thoughts will be there, but, remember, the thoughts don't have hands and can't pick up a drink. Try to find other things to occupy your mind.

Take care and good luck.

BMUS
Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Pretty good logic there.

It does go away the longer you dont drink. I always thought people were nuts when they told me that.
But I am seeing it happen.

Just hang in there and distract yourself as much as possible.
Good job for making it another day.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi BTTL
glad you're reading instead of picking up the bottle. or the glass, whatever the case may be. post lots too.....
it's a steep hill but eventually you have to hit the top....

great. now I'm going to think about elephants all night
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"now I'm goint to think about elephants all night" me too...in a tutu and party hat, playing a saxaphone

((Back)) - it DOES get better but it does take time. When we've been drinking/using for a while, everything we DO seems to be associated with it.

Reading here is a GREAT distraction, and, for me, a good reminder of why I'm in recovery.

Congrats on another day sober. A friend of mine, here, says he likes to "hit the pillow clean". Any night you lay your head on that pillow and you've been sober/clean all day, that is a huge accomplishment.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It does go away eventually and it is a wonderful feeling - I know from quitting for a long time before.

I am looking forward to that feeling again, it is so liberating.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was the same way, I'm approaching 100 days, and my thoughts are more about being outside and with my kids rather than when can i start drinking today...

Heavy