Do Most Alcholics Come From Alcholic Familys

Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Do Most Alcholics Come From Alcholic Familys

My b/f who is now kicked out of my home his whole family drank.
His mother father he had a brother who drank and killed himself another brother who he has no idea where he is and a sister who drank and died taking to many rx pills.
I have only met his uncle who is 86 a very nice man and he told me long ago he and his wife tried to get tom and his siblings and raise them but was unable to. He said the family tom came from were all drunks. His uncle is not.
And he has two nephew my age 46 and 43 who are not alcholics and finally have told Tom to stay away if he is drinking. This is all the family he has left all the others are dead or one brother has not been seen for years.
Is this common for children to grow up around this and turn out the same way"? My father was a herion addict and my mom divorced him when I was very young and all three of us kids are not drug users so is there a link is it fate is it in the genes. I am trying to understand.
Thanks Kelly
Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My ex was adopted as an infant and his parent didn't drink (his mom has NEVER had a drink and his dad drank socially maybe 5 times in his entire life). They were older and very naive about alcohol and drug use though and had no idea that my ex was drinking and using drugs at an early age.

go figure
Old 09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was asking my RAH about this last night! I had heard so many times that it runs in the family. He tried to think of someone in his family that was an A or "had a drinking problem" and could not come up with one. I've even asked his cousins and they can't either.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My father was an alcoholic, and so were both of his parents. I turned out to be a codependent. My brother is an alcoholic and wife-beater, my sister has panic attacks and phobias.

From what I've seen, addiction and dysfunction tends to run in families, but it manifests differently in different people.

L
Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If this helps:

My AH is one of 9 children....6 of that 9 are addicts of some sort, either drugs or alcohol or both.

My Ah's father died at 42 of a drug overdose. He used to send his kids to thier friends houses to steal from medicine cabinets.

Now, most of the adult children of AH's siblings are addicts or severly dysfuntional.

12 of AH's nieces and nephews from his siblings were taken from their homes by CPS because of the dysfunction.

Wow...as I type this I need to take my daughter and run like hell to protect her.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm not sure about my family history prior to my parents. I do remember that my father's parents weren't drinkers, not sure about my mother's, they died when I was young, but I remember a great-grandfather who drank quite a bit.

Dad's an active alcoholic, I can't remember a time when he didn't drink. His DOC is vodka & cranberry, claims the cranberry (the tiny splash in a big glass of vodka) is good for his liver. Yup, insanity and denial.

Mom died from cancer 10 years ago. When I think of her I remember her always playing solitaire with a can of beer and a cigarette. She was a great mother and homemaker, I wish she'd chosen a cleaner lifestyle.

Younger brother's active, older brother might be a dry drunk but those aren't my inventories to take.

First wife was an alcoholic/addict, second wife a codependent.

In my teens and twenties I was in the restaurant business and then went into construction. There hasn't been a time in my life that I can remember when I wasn't exposed to alcohol, it felt natural to pick up and drink from a very early age.

Welcome to SR Kelly, I hope you find the answers you're looking for here.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My father was a heavy drinker,probably alcoholic and my Mom came from a really screwed up family.
My AH has a father that's in recovery? He goes to AA but is still an ass.
His Mom is cold and unfeeling.

We were destined to find each other.
Until I realized we were both screwed up when we met,
did I begin to see how we were both unhealthy long before we got together.

The things I have learned about myself through all this has been a blessing.
Now the codie in me wants people to see this in there own lives, I have to bite my tounge alot.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

None of my grandparents drank or did drugs.

My mother was (and still is ) addicted to prescription drugs.
My dad was addicted to prescription drugs but quit years ago.
My parents are divorced, my dad was tired of living with the insanity. Now he lives alone and enjoys every minute of it.

My sister is an alcoholic and addicted to drugs.
I do not take drugs or drink alcohol (yuck) - but I am co-dependent and the only one in our family to get outside help from counseling and other sources. My mother got counseling after a suicide attempt when I was about 7, but she only went as long as the state made her go.

My AH's father was a huge alcoholic, but has been sober for four year. But the man is still a huge, abusive jerk.

My AH's mother is very co-dependent and is still married to the very verbally abusive father. Now she has major health problems from years of dealing with the abuse and stress.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for lettingme know
Kelli