Notices

Rant/Rave: Health Care System

Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rant/Rave: Health Care System

I have been away from my university health care system for the summer, and unfortunately had a really, really bad recurrence of depression. Also began the process of facing my alcoholism and getting sober.... It has been a wild last few months. My student insurance would cover nothing short of hospitalization so I talked a doctor friend into prescribing me an antidepressant, and made the earliest possible appointment to see a doc at the U health center.

I'm back in town now and had my appointment yesterday. I was so looking forward to it, funny as it sounds. Psychiatrists, psychologists, etc make me nervous, but I have been desperate for help. However, because my old doctor left (the docs tend not to hang around very long, I've noticed), I had to go through a reassessment. That happened last year, too. That means a 45 minute interview with a psychiatrist or psychologist who has you rehash your whole hairy history, just to get assigned to someone who will become your usual doc. You have another effing hour long first session with them. Then they assign you to a therapist, who has to get to know you as well. I was unlucky enough to get a psychologist yesterday- not a prescriber. I was out of meds. So I had to come in again today to talk for half an hour with a psychiatrist, so she would be comfortable giving me a two week supply. My appointment with my soon-to-be regular doc won't be for around that long, and I won't get a therapist until after that appointment. Even though I did everything I could to get treatment quickly, it's not going to happen, and that blows.

On the one hand, I am so much luckier than all the people out there who can't get mental health care at all, and I do appreciate that. On the other hand, I am so very tired of rehashing painful subjects with all these different people. I wish I could just type up a report and hand it over so they could stop asking me the same uncomfortable questions. And I would like to pin a sign to my shirt that says "No I'm not having suicidal ideation at the moment, thanks for asking." Cause I'm tired of talking about it.

The end!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
I wish I could just type up a report and hand it over so they could stop asking me the same uncomfortable questions. And I would like to pin a sign to my shirt that says "No I'm not having suicidal ideation at the moment, thanks for asking." Cause I'm tired of talking about it.

The end!
I just love your sense of humor. I could just picture the sign on your chest and the note in your hand.....kind of a don't F*** with me thing.....
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
9/15/08

One way to look at is that the more you talk about these 'painful subjects', the easier they are to address and deal with.

As for seeing a psych, don't wait for them to ask you questions.

When meeting with one, launch into your narrative and start off with a)Im not suicidal, b)Im not homicidal, c)Im on these meds (x,y,z), and d)I do/do not have a history of specific mental illnesses.

(assuming that you are NOT suicidal, homicidal, etc... )

It will get the interview rolling along and show the provider that you want to get to the point. Too often psychs will ask too many open-ended questions to try and get a 'feel' for the person, as most ppl traditionally don't open up very well about their problems.

If you put it right out there from the beginning, it may help expedite the process.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It blows to have to go though your history over and over and over, very draining...

And no mental health care for the poor in WA state, unless you're completely destitute and in no position to take advantage of it.

I just tell 'em:

I'm homicidal and suicidal, with no friends
Holdin a gun with no handle, just a barrel at both ends
Sprayin tecs at you...

Oh wait.. that's an Eminem song. Nevermind!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Blarg, I just did that thing where I wrote a whole bunch and then got logged out when I went to post. Not gonna try to recreate, but thanks everybody for the commiseration/suggestions

And no, I'm still not having any suicidal ideation!!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you. I go to aplace for low income people. I seemy shrink for about 6 mintues to get my meds ans out the door. I have been through so many counslers it is not funny.
The one I have now looks about 21 my sons age.I thought Oh Lord a kid .
I have nothing tosay to him it is very awkard. I think he wishes I would come in with a big crsis but I just at the moment donot have one. So last time he locked his door and I showed him differnt games to play on the computer"""!!!! Just topassthe time
Kelli...
Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The health center hasn't called me yet with an appointment. *sigh*

Just churned through all this painful crap and was left with it with no idea of when there would be help to sort it out. Plus school started and it's making me frantic...

I need to stop putting on a pretty face when I sit in front of a head-shrinker. I'm always so scared that they're going to label me a seriously sick puppy that I go really far the other way and look super-functional. And I'm NOT suicidal, homicidal, or psychotic, so I know they're not going to commit me if I'm honest about said painful crap, but it's so hard and scary to deal with... especially with a clunky uni health system where it's so easy to fall between the cracks. I just want help!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SelfSeeking: you can't trick these people..and they need all the facts in order to help you! Just remember that they've heard anything you can possibly say to them and much, much worse. The fact that you are voluntarily seeking help shows that you aren't a "seriously sick puppy", but a mature person who knows when their life can be better and is committed to seeking out all help to fulfill that!

Off topic....I'm soooo happy I have Canada's health system!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Depending on the outcome of our prez election, DG, I may become your neighbor... for serious... it's Canada or the Netherlands! (And I don't speak Dutch, so Canada's looking like the best pick.)
How long do you have to wait for appointments? Here in the US people say, Oh sure, the Canadian system is GREAT, you just have to wait for months to get seen. That's the story we're told, in hopes it makes us more appreciative of our medical clusterf!ck.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We'll be happy to have ya!! Eh? lol

We don't have to wait for many things, really. For some tests there's a wait, but if it's ever a medical necessity, it's done right away. Or if you can't get into your family doctor (or if you don't have a family doctor) there are tons of walk-in clinics to go to or you can always go to the emergency here. It's all a matter of being a forceful advocate for your own needs. Some people just let things go and don't demand medical attention...if you speak up here, you get seen quicker.

I'll refrain from any political comments!
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No doot aboot it, it helps when you advocate strongly for yourself, no matter what country you're in. lol... I think I'll give them a call on Monday and be the squeaky wheel.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I lost my job my car my credit everything due to bipolar. I always had good jobs good credit ect. I started going on shopping sprees getting small loans out mood swings risky sex going out partying I did not relize something was wrong. I had a breakdown my car I was so proud of was repossed. I mised six weeks of work while in the hospital I was dx at 43. When I came back to work I would have toleave many times due to panic attacks.
One day at work I was called into the office I knew what was going to happen I was let go.
I said it is because I was put into the hospital of course they denied it they said they were elimiting my postion I was a good worker. Never in my life have I ever been let go from a job. Fast forward I am on disabilty have been in the hospital 4 times not in the last 2 years. I lost my health insurance from my job this was before disabilty,
If you have money or insurance you get much better care I know I have been in both places. The mental health system has a long long way to go this is how I feel. There is never enough funding orthis or that. No money you go to a state hospital money or insurance you go to a nice hospital that is the bottom line. And if you do not have money for your meds well God forbid many people do not have family to help them they hae no one. I was very lucky my family supported me during two years of waiting for disabilty not many people have this opition. Did I ever dream this would be my life not in a million years. I do not feel sorry for myself but I get so very angry at what this illness has robbed me of. My mother and step-father raised my son from age 5 I love my son but he has had a wonderful life with my parents still I did not know I was bipolar Iwas told I was wild nervous slept to much. I had never even heard of bipolar. Now I am so many meds at times I feel like the person I used to be is long gone and I miss her.
There is nothing good about bipolar it does rob you but you just have to fight it each day some days are good some are not. It seems mental health issues are at the bottom of the list we matter it is a illness not a plauge I get so mad and I do not think in this life time there will be a cure the brain is to complex itis a devasting illness.
Kelli...
Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My day has come! Have the psych appointment at 11. Oh please somebody help me with my eff'ed up brain chemistry... I know I haven't always felt like this...
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sweetie...you're going to do fine! Good for you for making appointments and following through and knowing when you need help!

Off topic....lol...do Canadians say "doubt about it" funny???? lol I know I say, "eh" waaaay too much! Haha!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

DG... rofl... Have you ever watched the South Park movie? I love the Canadian accent!

Heh... I'm from a state in the US that has officially no accent, we speak "American Broadcast English". How boring is that?!

Gosh, better get my arse out the door or I'm going to be late to this visit I've waited on pins and needles for.

Thanks for your support DG, it means a lot to me
Old 09-10-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The first time I went to the hospital after I got out I had to go to out patient treatment with a bunch of people. It was so boring. Half of us were so medicated some people fell asleep. We had to go early and stay all day. Differnt people came and talked to us.
We had to draw pictures in one class I felt like I was in daycare. THEN we would be called to see the doc for about 5 minutes in a little room why I am not sure she barley spoke. Then we would all be in a big room and people would tell there stories well let me tell you if you were not depressed when you came in you left depressed. Some of the stories I heard were just horrible!!! I thought I am pretty lucky.
Then we would have a small group about 5 of us with a counsler and we had to talk then it woould get us crying. We would be asked what can you do to fix this I felt like saying that is why I am here. By this time I would be drained from crying and be so sleepy I would watch the clock and pray for 2:00 to come. Then I would drive home and fall into bed. I still cannot think of anything I learned. Oh one thing my counsler had sinus problems and he told us how he kept his sinus clear by using a netttie pot Istill have not used one yet. To me it was a waste of time and money.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I last moved and got my new pdoc I simply told her that I was not going to go through my entire history of tragedies and traumas and spoke to her about my present condition. Do not understate your depression. I think we all have a tendency to do that, but in the end, it prolongs it.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Further, there are many programs to get your meds free if you are income eligible...this has saved my life as I am on 6 meds and about to have another added....I would NOT be able to afford them at all!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To Life!

There is a sticky at the top of the forum with some of the places where you can get free or reduced price medications.
Thanks for bringing it up, Live!

Shalom!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow, so that visit was such a shock! I have never had a visit with a psychiatrist (that was not an initial visit) that lasted more than 15 minutes. You know the drill, they give you whatever drug the last rep pushed in the office and tell you to take your emotional issues up with their social worker. Not this doc! She's young and apparently not yet crushed by The System! We talked for 45 minutes. She just let me talk about what I was going through!

At the end of the visit I actually kinda fished to get put back on a second drug that had helped me in the past and she said we would talk about possible drug changes next week. I thought, bah, this sucks, I just want back on my old drug regimen, I want an instant fix, but then over the course of the day I realized this was the first "extended" (more than 2 days) period of time I'd been alcohol-free in ages and ages. She's being a good doc to monitor how I settle into sobriety before even considering inserting another drug into my system.

Isn't that cool?