Notices

Newbie without control

Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie without control

I don't drink everyday, I drink every other day, or maybe every three days depending. I usually drink out of boredom. I prefer to sit down with a case of beer and play computer games all night. I think its because I get super excited when Im drinking, a feeling I miss when Im not drinking because of depression.

I used to drink alot with my fiance but shes preggos so obviously shes not drinking anymore. I chose my name because of the two reasons I would like to quit drinking, the immense amount of guilt I feel the next day for absolutly no reason, and the fact that on occasion I miss work or other activities due to staying up all night drinking.

I have to go right now, but I will be back shortly to write more.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Guilties, I could be wrong, but it is just a matter of time until 3 days a week is 7. I used to chew and drink and I could stay up till 3am every night. I ditched the chew which was a major struggle on my own(still smoke here and there.) My guess is that your favorite place do be in the world is alone with your games and beer. That is not a good place to be in especially since you have a child on the way. Take it from a full blow nightly alcoholic, nip this in the bud early and get out of this certain path of no good early.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you're seeking help.

I wonder if your depression came before the drinking or was it the other way around. For me, the depression came first and the drinking was self-medicating. I had to get the depression treated before I could stop drinking. However, drinking causes depression and if the depression has resulted from your drinking, it will most likely lift as you begin to recover.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The depression has been around for a long long time. I am on medication for it, but it does very little. Most medication makes me very ill.

I can agree with you about it turning into everyday, hilltopper. Which is another reason I am here. I doubt I could drink everyday though because of the ulcer in my belly.

I am not sure how this forum is supposed to help to be honest. My selfcontrol sux though so I figured I wouldn't just "go it alone" but I would like to avoid 0meetings.

I have a lot of concerns about the road ahead. It shall be interesting.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, guilties, glad you're here! This site works for me basically because it's a completely anonymous forum, filled with people who've experienced any possible thing I can throw at them...with zero judgements being thrown back at me. This place has gotten me to, wow, I think 43 days sober now? I've lost count.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Guilties, welcome to SR. The way I have found this forum helpful is that I can be open here about what I'm going through in a way I can't anywhere else. I can share that I feel proud when I haven't drank; most people would not understand what there is to be proud about there, because they haven't felt overwhelming craving for alcohol. Everybody here has so when you dominate and move past a tempting moment, their encouragement means more than anyone else's. On the flip side, when I'm feeling down, they've been there too. And people have lots of suggestions and encouragement to climb out of the hole.

A lot of people also attend f2f meetings, AA, Rational Recovery, LifeRing... For me, I am building up courage to do so by spending time here first
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR guilties, good to have you
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome! It is great to have you here.
I had to laugh at the title of thread because NONE of us have "control".
I wanted to throw out there that I have depression. Two things happened after I quit drinking. First, I had a whole heck less to be depressed about, my body wasn't taking in a depressant all the time & the anti-depressants actually started to work! Once I told my doc about my drinking, he said, oh I bet the antidepressants were not working too well then huh?
Please take a look around the site, there is a ton of support here!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome.

This forum works because it is my online diary of my journey to sobriety.

I can't face the thought of having to post that I'd relapsed or to just disappear through shame of failure.

As a result, I will not lapse or fail!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jig

Hi Guilties,

Welcome to SR!