I Need You Guys So Badly.....

Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Unhappy I Need You Guys So Badly.....

A little background, I've been at my job for almost 10 years. It's a family owned business, and I'm like an office manager type, do a little of everything. I know it's not the best situation as I'm not surrounded by others my age as I'm the only one in the office every afternoon. It's not exactly ideal for meeting new people.

Anyways, we had a meeting and basically they are up and moving the company over 1-1/2 hour commute away for me. I burst into tears, i can't afford to do that, nor do i want to do that commute. I didn't say much because they told me I have my job still, they are letting to the temp girl whom I've become such great friends with

I understand i have the option to go but i also definitely feel like they know that i will probably not go with them. They already hired a new woman to "work with me". I'm soooooooooo sad, I've been balling my eyes out for a couple of hours now....and left alone to work like this.

I'm scared, i haven't sought out a job in 10 years, I'm so scared I'm not going to financially make it or find something as i don't even know when I'm going to interview. They are moving in the 3rd week of September, didn't even give me much notice at all for being with them so long! I feel TOTALLY disposable can't even pull it together right now......

thanks for listening....
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Think of this as a kick in the behind to get out of your comfort zone and into something that will be much better for you.

Heck you have years of experience in your job. You can look for a better opportunity that will provide a great deal more room for growth, professionally and personally.

Yes job hunting is a royal pain. I've had to do every few years (sometimes every year) since I am a contractor. But its not that awful either. Your attitude will make a world fo difference in how this all goes down.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Heath
So sorry honey that you are going through this....will they "lay you off" so that you can collect until you find something else? I would ask them to do that for you as I'm sure they would since you have been there so long....

And is there anyway you can work from home for them? Maybe doing some stuff? Another thing maybe to ask them.....start there and then worry about the rest afterwards-

hang in there sweets it will work out in the end.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heather,

My first reaction when I read your post is that this could be a great opportunity for you! Didn't you say a while back that you weren't sure if you wanted to stay at this job? Sometimes the universe does for us what we can't or won't do for ourselves.

Having said all that, you obviously have some choices. You could move to where the company is moving and keep the job. You could ask for a raise to cover the commute cost. Or you could look for something else. There are probably other options, too.

Just remember, when one door closes another usually opens.......

L
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

First of all, big hugs to you, Jennifer. I wish you weren't alone there at work, but if we aren't there physically, please know that we are in spirit.

I'm not known for my tip toeing around the issues, so here goes. Sounds like God is doing for you what you could not do for yourself. I'm sure your thoughts right now are, Huh?

I noticed one of the first things you said about your job, besides the fact that you have been there for a long time and are a very well rounded, dependable person, is the fact that this job doesn't give you the opportunity to meet new people. Sounds like that's something you want to do but in your current job, that's not possible.

Change is scarier than hell . . . at least it is for me. That fear of the unknown can be overwhelming. Sounds like God is telling you that it's time to move on.

You have a very long history of solid employment and it sounds like a great deal of knowledge in the day to day operations of running an office efficiently. Those two things alone will look very stongly in your favor when a potential employeer is looking at resumes. Sounds to me like you will have no problem in finding another job. I know it's scarry, I'm going through it right now. You have a huge advantage over most who are in the job market, experience and knowledge. You will shine!

Finally, I know how I am, I would be thinking of all the negative aspects of moving on to a new job. Please don't go thinking because they have hired someone else means that they don't want you to move with them. I imagine that they know this is something that you won't do and this is necessary for them to cover their butts so to speak. Uprooting an entire business is a huge move and they will need someone who can help them get things in order as soon as they get where they are going. You have been there for 10 years, this says quite a bit about your job performance. If they weren't pleased with the work you have been doing, I think you would have been let go a long time ago. They aren't moving an hour and a half away just to get rid of you! I know I would let crazy thoughts like that go through my head.

Instead of looking at this as a negative thing, look on the positive side. Your new job will more than likely be somewhere that you won't be alone in the office all afternoon, you'll be able to meet new people, experience new things and who knows, maybe you'll meet someone special!

Remember . . . everything happens for a reason and God never gives us more than we can handle!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 08-18-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And...if you want to move with them they should pay all or part of the moving expenses.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Heather, I know how it feels to be uncertain/afraid of where the future is going, but it can be great depending on how you face it. I believe things happen for a reason. If you sit down and outline your options you may find it's not as scary. Looking for a job is hard, but it may be something that gets you out meeting new people- and it sounds like your current job isn't giving you that. Take a deep breath and pick yourself up-look into your options. Change is hard, but it can lead to great things. Keep us posted!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Everyone of you is exactly right. I just spoke with my parents and i agreed with them, they said this is the push you needed to move on and find a job that you are truly happy at. I totally agree. Like you said, it's the inital shock. I knew just 2 weeks ago that i wanted to look for a new job and guess this is what i needed.

I truly belive like you guys said, everything does happen for a reason. I do want a new job. I think i'm sooo scared financially because i haven't been exaclty a good saver and took my money for granted. I need to get on the ball asap looking. I do have a couple of avenues through networking lol!

Like you said, i think it's more of the scare factor and change. I don't even remember how to do a resume!!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep you chin up.
Just a little story about me......I was in a dead-end job that I absolutely HATED and every single day I complained and hated getting up for work. the people there were cruel (it was a small family owned business), anyway, I started looking through the classifieds and sending out resumes. I ended up getting fired from the job I hated because I finally had enough and spoke my mind. That was on a Saturday......on that following tuesday, I was called in for an interview and GOT THE JOB!! I have been here for almost 2 years now and the change was good! God took care of things for me.

I agree with many other posters here who have said that when one door closes, another one opens. Try and stay positive about this change. Change IS scary though, as a lot of us know already. I would definately check into unemployemnt until you find something, and I am wondering if they might give you some sort of severance package since you have been there so long. You might also check into "temp" agencies.....that once held me over for a couple of years until I found what I was looking for.
Good luck to you and keep your chin up.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Did ya read this meditation that Rella posted today?? ( I took the liberty of highlighting the stuff that really hits me in the face! )

Monday, August 18, 2008
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Valuing this Moment

Detachment involves present moment living - living in the here and now. We allow life to happen instead of forcing and trying to control it. We relinquish regrets over the past and fears about the future. We make the most of each day.
--Codependent No More

This moment, we are right where we need to be, right where we are meant to be.
How often we waste our time and energy wishing we were someone else, were doing something else, or were someplace else. We may wish our present circumstances were different.
We needlessly confuse ourselves and divert our energy by thinking that our present moment is a mistake. But we are right where we need to be for now. Our feelings, thoughts, circumstances, challenges, and tasks - all of it is on schedule.
We spoil the beauty of the present moment by wishing for something else.

Come back home to yourself. Come back home to the present moment. We will not change things by escaping or leaving the moment. We will change things by surrendering to and accepting the moment.
Some moments are easier to accept than others.

To trust the process, to trust all of it, without hanging on to the past or peering too far into the future, requires a great deal of faith. Surrender to the moment. If you're feeling angry, get mad. If you're setting a boundary, dive into that. If you're grieving, grieve. Get into it. Step where instinct leads. If you're waiting, wait. If you have a task, throw yourself into the work. Get into the moment; the moment is right.

We are where we are, and it is okay. It is right where we're meant to be to get where we're going tomorrow. And that place will be good.
It has been planned in love for us.

God, help me let go of my need to be someone other than who I am today. Help me dive fully into the present moment. I will accept and surrender to my present moments - the difficult ones and the easy ones, trusting the whole process. I will stop trying to control the process; instead, I will relax and let myself experience it.

================================================== ========

Heather, you're going to be alright. What's that saying we see all over these forums? "When one door closes, another one always opens". Start watching for those doors to open, OK?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

(((HBB))) I can't tell you how many people are in transitional periods in their professional lives - it's kind of creepy actually!

I myself am applying to new and better positions - perhaps it's believing more and more that I am worth more than what I'm doing right now.

I love the stuff Astro posted...it's easy to forget those things when our fears are in full bloom.

I remember this job I got right out of college that was horrible and I was treated very poorly - but at the time I felt I had to succeed, as though I'd be a failure if I didn't "stick it out". Well, I wound up busting my behind for someone who turned around and fired me when I found out he was cheating on his wife with his secretary who was also my friend...thing is - I never would have looked for better things if I hadn't been "pushed".
Old 08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Heather,

I think this really could be good news. When I left my last job, it was so uncomfortable! I HATED that job, though. It took a little getting used to, but once I adjusted and got out of my comfort zone, I'm so happy I made the move.

It sound like the kick in the pants you needed. Don't worry about your resume either. That will come together. If you need help, I'm good at resumes. PM me!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
gns

It sounds like this is a great opportunity for you, Heather - good luck!!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When a door closes hunny usually another opens right back up and alot of times its a whole lot better than the one you closed.....

hugs,

Janitw
Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Hbb, I've been laid off twice in my life. Both times it came as a surprise and both times it scared the heck out of me. But looking back, both times it ended up being a blessing in disguise. Both times I secured a better, higher paying job with great advancement opportunities. I would not have switched jobs had I not been forced to do so.

And you have the added blessing in that you can choose to keep your current job while you look for a new opportunity. A 1.5 hour commute isn't great, but I do it every day. I've learned to make the best of it. I listen to books on tape and I've never been so well read.

On the morning commute, I fix myself a mug of coffee and I eat a snack in the car (I like FiberOne bars--the oats and chocolate one is my favorite). It's a relatively healthy and low-calorie snack (only 140 calories). I look forward to this morning ritual--listening to some good music, sipping on a steamy mug of coffee, and munching out on chocolate and oats.

On the evening commute, I listen to books on tape. I find that I'm able to unwind for the day in my car instead of needing to do so when I first get home from work.

A 1.5 hour commute can be a nightmare or a pleasant, quiet, reflective, learning experience. It's all in how you view the situation. And the best part for you is that you can do it for just enough time to secure a new job.

I don't resent my long commute. I'm grateful that I have a great paying job, doing what I like, with people I love. If for some reason, my office would relocate to closer where I live, that would just be icing on the cake.

Don't fret. Everything will work out perfectly. Your HP will see to that.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Day, by Day, by Day.....

Oh Heather - things will work out. Maybe your could put a positive spin on this - think of this as a good change. Maybe the time is right for a change and you needed a catalyst.

Everything will work out - Hugs to you. . . Keep us posted.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((Heather))))
Keep an open mind - and take it one day at a time!
Peace,
B.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Heather, just a note to wish you all the best, I know things wil turn out great for you - believe it!

I used to do a 1hr commute on public transport, of all the crummy things, for a job that paid terrible and I hated! However, the skills I got in that job lead me to the one I am in today and I love it!

Turn the negatives into a positive, in every struggle there is the opportunity for growth!

Love and hugs,
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I like what Lily says, Heather, turning a negative into a positive. It's all about you, Heather, and you have always struck me as one who can find the positive in a situation, one who chooses to be happy. It's good that you could come here and let it out. Now go forward with the zest you always display for life. You can do this, girl! Praying for good stuff for Heather
Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I went through a temp agency the last time I was between jobs (and it was over the Christmas/New Years holidays!) I worked one place for a week and then the next place they needed me ended up hiring permanently and I've been here almost 8 years! Plus the temp place helped me write a resume which I still pull out and spruce up if I see an opening that catches my eye.

Good luck!