Notices

So is it lame to....

Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So is it lame to....

just say I am starting over on Monday because I am going away for the weekend and I know I will drink, so what is the point of just disappointing myself one more time?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Jails, institutions, and death?

Hope to see you on Monday.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Why stop Monday when you can stop today? What will happen when another weekend comes around and you drink again? Why not just commit yourself to quitting right now?

I'm always grateful that I never had a DUI, did time in jail, killed anyone, beat my wife, or abused my children. Those were all "yets". But sometimes I wonder, if I'd continued drinking for 4 more days would some of those things happened? Thankfully I didn't have to find that out. I found a solution and recovery instead.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have to learn how to be sober on a weekend eventually, why not make this the first one?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wouldn't recommend it. I've done this a few times now, and each time, I wind up doing something dumb that I regret (or worse, I know I did something dumb, but I was too blackout drunk to remember it.) Not remembering, but knowing I did stupid things just makes me feel awful, and makes me feel like "nothing will ever be better again." And I hate feeling that way.

That said, I'm not sure what advice to give in terms of getting through the weekend since I haven't quite figured it out yet. Do you have a plan for the weekend? (in general, not a "not-drinking" plan)
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone needs to make up their own mind and decide how committed they are to recovery. Myself, I found it easier after a relapse to just start over with Day 1 immediately so my mind and body did not get back into the habit of drinking.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree, in another conversation there was talk about hitting bottom and I haven't and don't want to because I don't know if I could recover from any of those awful things that could happen, but I am fairly certain that I will partake because I will be around it. Lame, Lame, Lame!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can only speak from my experience, but in the past when I slipped, I had the same mindset. Alcohol is "playing tricks" on your brain, and after a couple of times, I would not come back. The last time it took me 2 years to come back - and a lot worse for wear.

Only you can make the decision, but I would recommend stopping today, and not drinking this weekend.

Either way, I hope to see you back on Monday.

Peace,

Tom
Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
just say I am starting over on Monday because I am going away for the weekend and I know I will drink, so what is the point of just disappointing myself one more time?
Sounds like you've already made the decision to drink. Or that there really isn't a different option. What if you simply decided to not drink this weekend? I'm sure you'll still have fun. And you'll remember everything. And you won't have to deal with a hangover.

Just take it one day at a time. I can drink tomorrow, but I choose to not drink today. (Funny thing is....tomorrow never comes! It's always and only today! )
Old 08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Just take it one day at a time. I can drink tomorrow, but I choose to not drink today. (Funny thing is....tomorrow never comes! It's always and only today!)"

I've been doing that for over 14 years and it is getting old.

Consequently... I am getting old too (as opposed to getting dead).

Life is good.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

in another conversation there was talk about hitting bottom and I haven't and don't want to because I don't know if I could recover from any of those awful things that could happen, but I am fairly certain that I will partake because I will be around it. Lame, Lame, Lame!
Let me get this straight...you haven't hit bottom, because you haven't quit yet. But, you're afraid of what could happen, even though you've never experienced it yourself. On the other hand, you're planning on drinking and not afraid of what could happen, because you think you've experienced it all.

Oh, my friend...you are so Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Unfortunately, you've already made up your mind how you're going to spend the weekend. I haven't read any of your other posts...but, let me go way out on a limb here and venture to guess you have been reading/posting on a SoberRecovery site because you're looking for support in getting/staying sober. Am I close?

Then will you at least agree with me on one thing? Continuing to drink is not going to get/keep you sober. Whether you quit today or prolong the inevitable until Monday...it's entirely up to you. But...unless you have more problems than drinking...the normal detox (preferrably with help and advice from your doctor) is 3 - 5 days. Instead of using the "horror stories" as an excuse to drink, why not key into some of the "success stories"? There are many here, if you look for them...including my own.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is always a reason to not stop drinking.

I went through every reason I could think of during my last year of drinking.

I wish you well.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to think this way too, that nothing would ever be much fun without being messed up, high, whatever. I really did. But I quickly found out how much fun can be had sober. In order to find that out, you just have to give it a try. It isn't fun though, to be with a bunch of drunks if you aren't drinking, for me. To me, it's just gross and sickening to watch. So I would skip the event if it's sole activity or main focus is being drunk, and do something else this weekend, like go to the beach!
KJ
Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Let me guess... camping? is that your weekend get away? i've been to many a drunken summer campout in washington (i live in renton) and the last time i actually got hammered, peed behind my tent in broad daylight (hidden from our camp site, but not other peoples) and severely sprained my ankle while walking over some rocks.

so i would say either not go or don't drink. i know that is easier said than done. it's really hard to be around people who are drinking when you are not - so i personally try not to put myself in those situations often.
good luck to you!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes it is lame.

At least in my case it was lame, i said that weekend after weekend.

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow! I am lame. It makes me cry. It was just an excuse to get another weekend of drinking. What a cop out! I really had my mind made up, but now I think I will really just take it an hour at a time. You all are SO right and so full of wisdom, I am really glad I came here. I really would regret Monday when I felt like sh*t because I filled the whole weekend with drinking.

Yes Jen, I am going to a cabin for the weekend. Maybe I can save myself from myself and do something like hiking and swimming and enjoying nature instead of making an ass out of myself.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up Eclipse, Just by starting this post shows that you aren't lame.

You are not lame, looking for the O.K. to drink for the weekend is (Around here anyway)..

Daddio told me once that this is a place of tough love, we certainly won't encourage a weekend of drinking, but we certainly will encourage you to think of things other than drinking. My first weekend was rough, I was camping, everyone else was drinking, but i heald steady and felt GREAT about it...

Can't wait to hear from you after you weekend!

Heavy
Old 08-07-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great weekend!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you did the right thing by coming here and posting first - something i can't seem to do - but if you make a plan NOT to ahead of time you will feel more in control. Try to fill up your day with fun activities and maybe bring some good books, a journal, whatever you like doing for the evenings.
Please don't be to upset, i know it's hard, but it will be ok - i hope you have a really great and sober weekend!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If other people will be sitting around with glass in hand, maybe it would help to bring along your own special drink like sparkling water or yummy iced tea. Something that you can "treat" yourself with and enjoy.