OT: Prayer Request

Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Prayer Request

Sorry, I know this is totally irrelevant to this board, but I'm feeling a bit nutty right now and desperately need prayers/kind thoughts/etc...

So, unlike some of the other teachers on this board, I had to start back to preplanning last Monday, and the kids came back on Friday. The maximum class size is supposed to be 32, and on Friday, my 3rd block had 45!!! They have gotten the number down to 40, but this is still not legal, nor is it okay for the kids, or for me. Not to mention that I am uncomfortable with the teacher that is in there with me, for numerous reasons (it's an "inclusion" class, so there is a regular ed teacher and a special ed teacher in there together). And I've been told that my class is at the bottom of the priority list to fix, so who knows how long it'll take to be where it should...

My second block is full of kids who are constantly in and out of jail (one just got out Sunday evening, and had a link to the mugshot to prove it), and they seem to prefer to spend every waking moment challenging me. I'm not saying I can't handle them, but when one considers the fact that I get in trouble if these kids don't pass standardized tests at the end of the year, this becomes rather troubling.

And then there's my 4th block... my last class of the day. About half of them have discipline plans, and the other half are just natural smart a++es.

I love my job, really, I do. And I do have some great kids in the mix. The sky is not falling. I'm just so anxious right now; I feel like I can't slow down long enough to calm down about all of this. Even when I sit down and make myself smile, I still feel this consistant nervousness that I just cannot shake at the moment.

Thanks for bearing with me. I just had to get this out.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That sounds like a nightmare and I'm glad you felt comfortable sharing it here.

I don't have any solutions, but I'm sending a big hug because you sound like you could use one and a prayer that somehow these kids can connect with you and know they have been blessed to have a wonderful teacher.

Hugs
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've got it...Lots of prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Teaching is difficult enough without so many challenges...I can understand why you are feeling a bit freaked right now.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It isn't irrelevant to this board if it is something that concerns you!!
My goodness you do have your hands full. Things will eventually fall into place. Sending out prayers for a good school year for you.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending prayers. I work in a district that due to finances has had to cut teachers so I know what you mean by overloading the classes, and with the new education standards and no child left behind laws, it has become a nightmare. I am an interpreter for hearing impaired students and our other interpreter just accepted a new job with a different district and they have not even posted her job yet, so we will start the new year with plenty of kids and not enough staff. Arrrr.... Hugs, Marle
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Hey Lady,

Let's try working a little recovery on this issue.

Even though the situation looks bleak, it just might not be. You know I always tend to project the worst.

When I think of all that I have in my life, I get overwhelmed. Try to take your classes just one at a time (like one day at a time) and get through that.

And mug shots of your students? Lady, you've been on this board for a while now and I know you have some good recovery that could certainly be shared with struggling high school kids like Mr. Mug Shot. No, no, you can't fix the entire class or high school, but I bet you they can see something different in Ms. Lady.

God has you right where you are today for a reason. Trust and take it one class at a time. :-)

Love ya,
Hangin' In
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I am not a teacher but I am the parent of a son who graduated in 2007 and I have heard horror stories from him of overcrowded classrooms and the different things that teachers must deal with on a daily basis.

I simply cannot understand why school levies fail . . . are our children not worth property taxes being raised?

I must say that I think teachers are extremely underpaid, overworked and there is not the respect that I had as a child given to teachers today.

I will certainly Pray for you as well as all of the other teachers returning for another year of molding our kids into tomorrow's leaders.

With great respect,
Judy
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

new to board but wanted to respond

First of all I'd like to say "God Bless You" for the work that you do! Teaching is hard enough without dealing with troubled kids. Sometimes teachers are the only ones to provide discipline but they are so limited in what they can do and the kids know that. Anyways, do your best, take it one day at a time and know that there are tons of people rooting for you!! I'll think of you and hope for the best!
Kevynne Anne:ghug
Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
krhea75

From one teacher to another, YIKES! My classes are around 14-20 each, so your post has made me appreciate the small rural school that I'm at. I guess some of the advice I could give you would be summed up in a few points:
1. Keep them busy and challenged.
2. Try to use a sense of humor when appropriate.
3. Kids will feed off your energy or lack of. Get plenty of sleep and hit each day with enthusiasm.
4. Kids won't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Sorry if these won't work with your street-wise kids, but hopefully kids are kids. Good luck Lady!
krhea
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sending you big hugs and prayers! I don't think teachers get near enough money or thanks for the job they do. I can only imagine how hard it is these days, and I'm glad to know someone as caring as you is still out there trying to help these kids.

I'm 46 years old, but still remember a lot of my teachers that stood out and I am grateful to them.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy