Notices

Story of Then and Now

Old 08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Story of Then and Now

Hello, My name is Beth....Born in Ainsworth Nebraska.. no brothers or sisters. My parents were Deaf...I was the hearing child...which were the ears and mouth for my parent, was since at a very young age...spoke American Sign Language, which was my first language.,,,,Had speech delayment since my parents did not speak...Teachers would send notes home stating that I would not participate in group acitivies etc....My mother and father divorced when I was 4 years old...I lived with my father as my real mother married a child molester, he had 10 kids of his own from first marriage...but living with my father would raise alot of speculation in the deaf community as (my father was molesting) me which was not true...Dad married step mother (alcholic) when I turned 6 ....she was deaf also,,,she had 2 children..both deaf ..went to deaf school in Iowa,,(Iowa School for the Deaf) step mother started to physically abuse me often....One day I asked my father to support my idea in going to the Deaf school,,,,he would state. "but you not deaf" I replied: but I can pretend...just dont raise your hand when hear the sound thru the hearphones....WELL IT WORKED saved by the grace of GOD.. entered the deaf school 7th grade.....graduated 1983 ...I lived in the dormitories...which did not require me to go home ,,,,on the days that we would,,,teachers would offer me to spend the weekend with them and work odd jobs like babysitting, and earn money for self...well...time goes on when I graduated from High school I moved to Texas 2 days after...Was in a relationship....my first love from high school,,,, till one day he broke up with me,,,,heart broke in 4 places....didnt know how to cope with this emotion...came across what I thought was the magic powder..SPEED.METH.. told myself wow where has this drug been all my life...took emotions away, that i never liked in the first place...then that lasted for about 10 years fuctional addict..had good jobs but was still able to use and maintain job...then I met a guy...got pregnant have 2 kids 20 years old and 16 year old...still married to this person...have a grandson from the oldest...and Ive switched my drug of choice to cocaine..been more than 20 years of not clean and sober...been to rehab several times....(not Inpatient) im 43 years old GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF BEING SICK AND TIRED therefore trying the sobiety thing..but boy let me tell you its a journey. Ive been clean since July 15th 2008 which is not long...longest clean time out of 20 years is about 4 to 5 months total...not much. so ....Im trying this again...and so far so good..going back to NA and on the waiting list to enter INPATIENT PROGRAM) for 5 months..with work release...so this is my story...(surface) not deep.. but you get the picture..so

THANK YOU ALL FOR LETTING ME SHARE THIS PERSONAL STORY..
IN GOD'S SPEED
love you all

God, grant me the serenty to accept things that I cannot change and the wisdom to change the things that I can..
god would and could if he was sought.
Beth Garcia
Old 08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi beth....
Welcome!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beth,

I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beth - welcome to SR.
Please keep posting!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well Im in the right place.....awe this is exciting......Thanks to you all for letting me be a part of this wonderful journey of what I call LIFE,.... Today is pretty good, last nite went to work out....first time in a long time....but feel awesome today. legs pretty sore..
Wanted to ask this family for some feed back on a situation that I have problems with..TRIGGERS happens when paycheck arrives...how do I handle this situation,, Ive tried bank accounts...not work,,,mother inlaw not work...husband...hell he spends it before I can blink haha...so any suggestions? thank you ...BIG HUGS AND MORE HUGS..BETH
Old 08-07-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's kind of a far-out suggestion: look into getting a conservatorship. That's someone who will get your money, pay your bills, give you only allotted amounts for necessities. If you don't have access to money, maybe it will give you some time while you work out treatment options...without being able to get your DOC.

I'm so glad you're here! You're so open and willing to share and I KNOW that you can get through this!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, beth. glad you found this site, and thanks for sharing your story. and congrats on your clean time!

keep reaching out! hugs, k