Notices

it works if you work it

Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

it works if you work it

Another statement that in the begining that rejected i the begining of my sobriety. Once I learned to take the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth, i realized that it really does work. The programs of AA/NA have deffinetly saved my life. I realized that doing things my way were not working and something had to change. So when I took the suggestions of the program I started to see the change in everyday life. it is not easy then what is if we really want it. Living life on lfes terms is not easy but working the program it surely makes it more fun and less fearfull. When i lost my fear of people and started to take back my life it was a wonderfull experince. So please work it the program cause it does work if we work it.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm glad you made that observation, great job.

It pains me to see newcomers state what they can and can't do regarding NA/AA, the steps, the principles, etc., even before they try doing whatever it is they "cannot" do.

Some declare that they "cannot" tolerate/accept the Higher Power concept - but they didn't even try to accept it in the fashion the program mentions, instead they made up some BS about why they aren't even going to attempt it.

Same with the steps and other principles - the disease is STRONG people, it doesn't want you to find out that "it works if you work it".

The disease will try everything in it's power to keep on WORKING YOU.

Thanks for that post, Shemp, keep working it, keep coming back.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As a newcomer, I DO have a hard time with the whole "higher power" thing. You can't force someone to believe a doctrine that they just don't believe! It would be the same thing to you, if I insisted that you believe in Santa Claus, or you'd never get well. You'd be like, "What!? What kind of program is this?!".
Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

concept of higher power

Yes it is true that the concept of higher power is hard to grasp for some people. The way I learned about Higher power is not in the religion thing that people think it is. The higher power is whatever you believe in that will help you stop drinking or drugn. No matter what it is what ever you believe in your higher power could be a door knob your family, anything that you truly believe in. The program teaches us that. It is stated that in the god as we know him. Dont take it as a religous type text it is whatever you believe in to stop you from picking up.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My higher power is the thought of my cousin who was killed by a drunk driver a week before his wedding. I think about his memory and the idea that he is "Up There" watching..

Heavy
Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hm....in my town they are quite vocal about it being "god". All I hear in meetings is god this and god that.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
As a newcomer, I DO have a hard time with the whole "higher power" thing. You can't force someone to believe a doctrine that they just don't believe! It would be the same thing to you, if I insisted that you believe in Santa Claus, or you'd never get well. You'd be like, "What!? What kind of program is this?!".
Many people have a hard time with the Higher Power 'thing'. I did. This is what I had to do:

Get rid of any pre-conceived notions you have and study the Higher Power concept as it is explained in the program.

So many people hear/see the word 'god' and immediately think of church, religion, or some other total crap their addict/alcoholic mind comes up with. Clear all of those addict/alcoholic thoughts out and give the program's meaning a chance.

If you don't want to believe something before you even start learning about it, failure is certain. I know, lol, because my head was full of rocks, my addict/alcoholic mind wanted to find everything wrong with the program. I was afraid to succeed.

Just for the record, if your Santa Claus idea has helped millions of people and saved countess lives, I'm all ears. Please tell me more!

The Higher Power concept is not for everybody - and... not everyone will succeed in staying sober. Keep coming back. Whatever way you choose to succeed I want it to happen.