Notices

Replacing an addiction with an addiction??

Old 06-24-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Replacing an addiction with an addiction??

Hello friends,

I have a question for you. I am a recovering alcoholic, before that I ended up having gastric bypass surgery because I ate a lot. I think I replaced my eating with drinking and because of the surgery, I don't process the alcohol normally.
Here's my question. I recently hurt my wrist (Throwing haybales HorseLover)... My doctor prescribed some painkillers, however I threw the perscription away, nothing is broken, and it seems to be hurting less. I threw the prescription away because my mind is telling me that this will be a new kind of "Drunk" for me.
Has anyone replaced their addiction with another? What's a good coping mechanism for me to stop thinking about what's next?? Maybe there is no good answer, but it felt good to try to write it down..

Thanks,

Heavy
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

YES.

I can become 'addicted' to most anything. I have to be really careful.

I became 'addicted' to running last year, to the point where my goal was to run 3 miles every other day. Well, my 'addiciton' mind took over and I was running 7 miles every other day, in pain, with injuries. Insane.

I have to be sure to maintain healthy 'addictions'.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Heavy did you let your doctor know you are a recovering alcoholic?

What you did in my opinion (My opinion and a dollar fifty will get you a cheap cup of coffee) was a smart move, why gamble with fate, especially early in recovery. Do not get me wrong, if a doctor prescribes me meds and they are needed I take them, exactly as prescribed and if I have issues I go straight to the doctor and let him know. We are all different, some in recovery can take pain meds without a problem, others have problems. For me the choice between some discomfort and possibly developing another habit/addiction is easy.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with Tommy - unfortunately it seems if I like it - I will do it to the extreme, doesn't matter what it is. (ugh, my mind....)

so no advice on how to cope - but you're not alone for sure. right now I'm trying to find a "healthy" addiction. right now it seems to be SR.........
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How I cope is I say the serenity prayer. That helps me to avoid future tripping and focus on today. It is OK to plan for the future but I cannot obsess or worry about what has or hasn't happened yet. If I start to obsess then I fall back into the alcoholic way of thinking and that is a path I don't want to go down again.

Hope that helps and hope your hand gets better soon!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is pretty individual, and i always talk with my dr. and put heavy weight in his opinion....but....I self medicated for pain for a long time with alchohol....and physical pain is something that I tend to want to drink over. I do best to take the pain meds as recommended by my dr. and i make sure my sponsor knows and that seems to work well for me.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey HeavyJ. Oprah did a show not too long ago about people that become alocoholics after bypass surgery. You could check it out at her site. Other than that, I was always told, by doctors, that people with addictions will simple trade one addiction for another. Generally the next one being a little less life threatening. But maybe not.

When I quit the juice almost two years ago, I become obsessed with Hagen Das Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. I could not get enough of it. To the point where my backside was looking akin to a Buick Roadmaster! I could have stepped in for Shamu at Sea World. I have since tapered that craving and gotten back to more normal diet.

The point being, addiction transfer is a common occurence. Talk to your doc about.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heavy - See I told you about lifting those bales of hay! I love horses but I HATE bringing in the hay and guess what? Don't have to here in the Land of Enchantment (New Mexico) because it isn't normally grown here. We have to import our hay from other States (Michigan - just kidding). We do get most from Colorado though.

As far as trading addictions, I kind of can identify with that and would be a bit cautious about the pain meds. I was a pretty heavy smoker for years and wine drinker. I quite the smoking and my drinking became worse. I also like food, but since I've become sober I have tried getting on the treadmill instead of eating and so far so good.

By the way, I saw that Oprah episode about the gastric bypass surgery patients and there is some kind of correlation there. Ricky Lake can attest to it and I believe she did on Oprah.

Good luck and Heavy you are doing so wonderful!! I hope you're proud of yourself. Hugs!!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey guys Thanks a TON! I will be checking out the Bypass/alcoholism correlation.
Here's one thing that struck me while I was reading your responses. I did smoke (Cigs), for years, I have not smoked in probably 9 years. What struck me is that I didn't even remember it until I read Hoeselovers response. Maybe it is possible to completely rid yourself of an addiction...??

Thank for being here for me

Heavy

P.S. Daddio, I once took a trip to Mexico, there was a pool with a "Table" in the middle a few inches under the water. It was for sitting on. Anyway, I would get a running start and slide across that thing on my belly making sounds like a seal the entire way! The local kids loved it!! I wish I could have seen it, man I let the flab fly on that trip! (Happy to say, that was 85 pounds ago)...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

By the way, the Michigan was suppose to be Minnesota in my post. I think I should retire from the boards today. I am not making much sense.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Michigan, Minnesota, they both start wth M's and border a Great Lake...

You let me know, bales are going for $3.00 each here...

Love you Horselover!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the best coping mechanism is to focus on life, and not on sensory addictions,
Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HeavyJ - Are you ready???? $7.00 a bale here and this folks is why horselover does not own any horses - yet.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow $7.00 They deliver and stack it for you here for that price...

Heavy
Old 06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nope and remember there's no grazing here either. Oh well!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ive substituted addictions before, I think it is just a natural thing for people to do when they are prone to addictive behavior. I think becoming more healthy physically, emotionally, spiriturally and mentally is needed to break the habit of forming new habits.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Heavy, I once saw Carnie Wilson on Oprah talking about becoming addicted to alcohol after her bypass. It was a very interesting show, and she was so open and willing to share what she'd been through. I know this is a common thing. It may sound silly but since I quit drinking in January I can't control my appetite for sweets or caffeine. *sigh* Always something.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I started as an addict, hated the taste of alcohol, became a full blown alcoholic and addict. I have to really be careful cause I could get big as a house. Once I got clean and sober I have gained weight.

My little sister was an addict then started drinking and died from cirrhosis of the liver two years later.

So I am a firm believer that it is extremely easy to switch addictions.

Good looking out and seeing some signs,
Judy
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

oh, heavy....get rid of them! there are so many other meds that can help.

good luck and feel better, friend.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ps...two weeks ago i would've convinced you, somehow, to send them to me. ugh...get rid of them.