Notices

Resist that first one at all costs...

Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resist that first one at all costs...

Hello friends,

I have a quick story today.

Last night I rode my bicycle in a time trial race that I participate in every other week. As you all may or may not know I'm on about my second week of quitting drinking cold turkey (With all of your help)..
Anyhow, I haven't trained at all in the past two weeks, yet I was able to beat my last time by a minute and a half! that is huge. My little brother was with me (Ha little, he's 39), he did awesome too, but immediately wanted to go to the bar to grab a victory beer. Well. I went and I kept thinking back to my new friends (You guys) and our stories we have shared. The bar tender came up, My brother orders a large New Castle, and I thought long and hard and ordered an Odouls (Spelling?).
I really wanted that cold one, but I resisted and I feel much much better about it.

Thank you friends!

Heavy

Last edited by HeavyJ; 06-19-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ah Yes!
It's the first drink
that has the last say.

Good for you...
Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job Heavy! That had to be a "little" hard or at least it would have been for me right now.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was very hard, I didn't tell my brother that I had quit. I could have had a few, then went home. I just realized that i would only be lieing to myself...

Thanks Horselover...

Heavy
Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

So true, heavy. I've often thought "no one would know," but the thing is, I would know and I'm doing this for me, not someone else anyway.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice Job Heavy - On the time trial and the sober behavior
Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow can I relate or what! I just had a friend, whom I've known for a few weeks, ask if my son and I would like to go camping with her, her daughter and a friend of her daughter's. I said I would love to and what can I bring. She mentioned she would be bringing Kaluha or something, but she's not a big drinker. This was all communicated via email and so I had time to think about it. I responded saying I don't drink alcohol anymore because its messed me up pretty bad, but she's more then welcome to bring stuff for herself. It doesn't look like she will though. I am so glad that was out of the way before we went because I don't know that I would have said no had she offered me some drink in hand. Know what I mean??
Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Horselover, I totally know what you mean. I am very proud of you for getting it out in the open before you went. I have a similar situation coming up on Friday. I have dinner plans at a swanky place with some friends I haven't seen for a while. I'm just going to tell them I'm pregnant when they see me order the diet coke (This is funny because I'm a bit of a heavy-set guy)....
Old 06-19-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Lol!!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That will break up any tension. You rock Heavy!!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Heavy!!!!!

Impressed with the improvement during the time trials but even moreso that you handled the "celebration" the way you did.

I love your "little" avatar btw. Brings a smile to my face every time I see it. THANKS!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on not drinking, and on the time trial thing. Good job! :bounce
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

great job and thanks for the humor.

thanks for sharing your sucess in a difficult situation.

happy for you
Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

(Actually, HeavyJ there IS a man who's pregnant right now - been all over the news - so you COULD use it!) Anyway, you should be so proud - every time you resist, it's another little triumph. You get a little stronger. You are actually doing this - congratulations! I myself (against the advice of some people) go out to the places I used to because I knew if I gave up everything I liked to do, it'd be be harder on me. Alcohol is always around - I've learned to just order sodas & so far no one has said a thing. Just once my sister-in-law asked why I wasn't having drinks with the rest of the family & I told her I'd decided to give it up. "I decided I was too dependent on it" was all I said. Good job, Heavy - continue!