Notices

How to handle triggers

Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to handle triggers

I don't know what to do about the things in my life that trigger me wanting to drink. The last 2 nights I drank when I said I wouldn't and I know I should have come on here and asked for help, but I didn't because the computer is a big trigger for me. I logged on last night and went to the fridge to get a beer instead of asking for help. Its a catch 22...I need to come here for support when I am having the urge to drink, but if I get on the computer I want to drink. See, every night for the past few years, I get on the computer and have a few drinks...that is my ritual. Seems odd to be on the computer without a beer so what do I do? I also LOVE to read and always have a book going, but I normally have a few beers while I am reading.

I don't want to give up all the things I love to do, just so I won't drink.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You don't have to pull the trigger.

The triggers may always be there to some extent, but it is like holding a loaded gun, you don't have to pull the trigger.

Drink something else while you use the computer, don't have alcohol around.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi BC1 and welcome! I think I saw you on the 2 weeks and under thread, right?

I definitely agree with Tommy in that perhaps you might try drinking somethin else.

My husband has a martini or two every night after work, and rather than drinking one (or two or three or more) I put some diet tonic water with half a cut up lime and lots of ice into a BIG, pretty color tinted wine glass. If I'm not in the mood for that, I pour some Clamato juice w/ some tabasco and -- again lots of ice into it.

I can't say that I don't still want the "real" stuff -- but these two drinks USUALLY satisfy my craving enough to get me through.

Your tastebuds my vary, so try to experiment with some flavored waters, mixers, etc. Make it "your" drink.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IMHO the computer isn't the trigger. There is something else that makes you want to log into cyberspace and log out of reality and the beer helps you get there. Maybe you're stressed after a long day etc etc.

I like New Leafs strategy (although what in the world is Clamato juice?)
Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First off, if you are trying to quit I would suggest not keeping beer in the fridge.

Next, I suggest increasing your level of support. Go to AA or another support group where you get contact with other people. Work a program of recovery because your current method alone doesn't seem to be working. Step it up for your recovery and see if that works.

I hope these suggestions provide some insight and thanks for posting.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In treatment we were told to play the tape through to the end...what will happen.

But most of all I had to remember that i don't have to act on a thought...just go oh yeah..a thought and turn to the next thing to do.

Every time I left the noon meeting I was "triggered" to go to the liquor store because I always pick up a bottel on my way home from that meeting.

I still attended the meeting and after several weeks the urge became less strong. everytime I don't act on an thought the thought becomes less powerful

hang in there. and don't drink if your a$$ falls off!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I like what TommyK said about not pulling that trigger.

I understand the computer as trigger (or as a method of escape which was fueled by booze). I enjoyed surfing and posting drunk. Before I became sober, I would cringe at reading some of the garbage I'd post "the night before" while loaded. Pathetic. I'd wake up thinking, "OH my gosh, what did I post?" I was even banned once!

I came to SR frequently during those first few days of dealing with my new sober lifestyle...when the urge was most difficult to tame. (Granted, I am still a newbie.) The closest AA meeting for me is a 30 mile round trip so I seek support here instead. JUST POST! Folks here will try to talk you through it! We can help each other.

I still want to drink. You know what it was today? I cleaned our deck...right down to washing the wood with deck cleaner. Gosh it looks great! There was my American flag flying ....a blue sky backdrop...white puffy clouds...political talk on the radio~baby sound asleep.... What American Gal would not like a cold one???? Didn't I earn it?

Well, I came here instead. You CAN do it! I can too!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Originally Posted by buttercup1 View Post
ISee, every night for the past few years, I get on the computer and have a few drinks...that is my ritual. Seems odd to be on the computer without a beer so what do I do? I also LOVE to read and always have a book going, but I normally have a few beers while I am reading.

I don't want to give up all the things I love to do, just so I won't drink.
After destroying 4 keyboards by spilling wine on them, I managed to give up alcohol at the computer. (No, that it is not meant to be a helpful tip!!!) My other drinking places were in my armchair (reading or TV) and the bath.

I developed a new ritual for armchair and computer. Have a lovely stainless steel teapot and milk jug and drink tea out of old china cup (one with gold rim which can't go in dishwasher).

My new house has no bathtub and I had not worked out a way to have a glass of wine in the shower at time of my last drink.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys:-)
I know in my mind that I am the only one who has to "not pull the trigger". I know physically that i can get on the computer, pick up a book, watch TV etc. without the alcohol, but I wonder...will I ever enjoy those things sober? *sigh*
Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoBearish View Post
IMHO the computer isn't the trigger. There is something else that makes you want to log into cyberspace and log out of reality and the beer helps you get there. Maybe you're stressed after a long day etc etc.

I like New Leafs strategy (although what in the world is Clamato juice?)
OK... Some people may think "Ewwww" but I think it's made by V-8,,, and it's veggie/tomato plus clam juice. I'm a HUGE Bloody Mary fan, and no matter how I doctor up the virgins, they don't satisfy my craving. For some reason -- the Clamato does. Have no idea why.

Last edited by Emily2002; 06-19-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added a word so it makes sense
Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I know in my mind that I am the only one who has to "not pull the trigger". I know physically that i can get on the computer, pick up a book, watch TV etc. without the alcohol, but I wonder...will I ever enjoy those things sober? *sigh*

I had the very same fear! I wanted it to be perpetual wintertime when I stopped drinking because I thought I'd never want to sit in the sun again.

It's only been 50 some odd days for me but I enjoy the things I used to do drunk even more sober...reading, spending time on line, gardening, playing guitar, baking, cooking~ More importantly, I have found many more things I like TO do now. I wonder how the hell I had time to spend hung over on the sofa all day! What a WASTE!

Just wait and you'll see!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Let's hope so, Buttercup! The only way we'll find out is if we keep trying, right?

Hang in there!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
OK... Some people may think "Ewwww" but I think it's made by V-8,,, and it's veggie/tomato plus clam juice. I'm a HUGE Bloody Mary fan, and no matter how I doctor up the virgins, they don't satisfy my craving. For some reason -- the Clamato does. Have no idea why.

I want some Clamato......NOW!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For my recovery....no matter what...

I had to want to stay sober
more than I wanted to drink

I do hope you quit again.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm here on the computer without a beer in my hand and I'm doing just fine (pats self on back).
Played some euchre, read my e-mails, and checked in here, all with a big cup of coffee. It probably won't help with the insomnia tonight but I guess I'd rather be up all night sober, than sound asleep drunk.

Thanks for all the support!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

bc. good for you, and hey, can you move the puter to another room...

well, it is about change aint it!

good wishes on a sober allnighter!

rz
Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good job, Buttercup!!!

Just make sure you're good to yourself tomorrow, too. Being tired's a trigger for me, so if the coffee ends up keeping you up all night you might want to take a nap, eat more, lol -- I do the latter A LOT when I'm tired....

Anyway -- KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!